Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #31
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Yeah man, a good overheat will cook most of the seals throughout an engine. This is usually firstly noticeable in trying remove the rocker cover because the rubber gasket has turned into a bakerlite type substance.
So does that mean then that I have to destroy the rocker cover in order to get it off?? If I have to then so be it but I may try some gentle persuasion tomorrow

[QUOTE=yzfr101]
Keep this thread alive champ as I was toying with the idea of going down the same path as you are. Thats a fine example you've acquired there mate, mmm tuxedo black.
Had a look at a sinful looking red one but it was auto, not what i wanted, the manuals are rarer. Made the choice they were going to be too hard to live with in the long run after researching owners feedback on parts atainability.
Your living my dream![QUOTE]

Ye but I want an auto, the F6 and the Z are both manual and I just want a car that I can drive and relax in, the XW is an auto as well but that won't be ready for a while yet. I do like the red, and to be honest it may well have made a nice Super Tourer replica LOL.

Their was a guy selling a white wagon on ebay with a blown bottom end, I offered him $2K, he had it started at $3500 but didn't get one bid. He made me laugh though quoting an American bottom end at $3500, forgot to mention that was US$ LOL so by the time you convert it it's the same (more actually) as a complete new motor locally, granted though that was for a performance nottom end.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #32
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett4777
for your suspension stuff definately speak to Ashleigh At DVS his brick handles like its on rails and im fairly sure he has some good stuff to suit yours as well

He is a good friend of mine so tell him Brett sent you

DVS, why does that sound familiar??

Well as I said it does have the good koni in there, it has a strut brace but I won't know what it's like till it's going, so that could be a little while yet.
Old 20-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #33
XRQTR
TBA Customs

I've made an executive decision today and started looking for a good second hand motor, I don't think that it will be worth the effort to bother with this one as it's no doubt done just as much damage to the bottom end as it has to the top.

Called a couple of places, one didn't have the one they thoguht was coming in a couple of weeks ago, the other had a low k one for $2K but did say they usually get them much cheaper (plus around $900 for fitting). I will see back with them early next week to see if they can source another one, if not then maybe I'll just buy an engine crane and do it myself with the $2K one as this was around what I'd budgeted to get a second handy with fitting.

So we''ll see how things go early week, or maybe just see if he can do better for cash which I forgot to ask today LOL
Old 21-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #34
brett4777

www.dvs.net.au

Ashleigh is based in geelong
i just looked at his website and he has some cool stuff to suit your car
brett4777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #35
XRQTR
TBA Customs

You're a good man Gunga Din, that makes it easy for me then if they're in Geelong, might just give him a call tomorrow.

Do you know him at all or just know of him??
Old 22-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #36
brett4777

he is a friend of mine known him for years(just havent seen him a while)
Old 26-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #37
brett4777

Did you end up contacting DVS and were they any help to you at all?
Old 27-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #38
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Ye I did Brett thanks for that mate, after a heap of missed calls and messages both ways LOL.

He put me onto Volwreck in Mitcham I think it was, but they wanted about the same as a local fella for one with almost half the k's, I got the local guy to see if he can do a price with fitting. I asked if they could source the engine at a cheaper price if I get them to fit it for me, hopefully he calls me back tomorrow otherwise I will as I'd like it sorted by early to mid next week if I can.

I want to take the Z off the road and do some body and engine work to that as soon as I can, LOL if I don't put it up for sale again hahaha
Old 27-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #39
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how can you sell the Z!!! what was your asking price?

cant wait to hear some more about the volvo though
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #40
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Fev if you're interested make me an offer.
Old 14-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #41
ajwilson999

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
You're a good man Gunga Din, that makes it easy for me then if they're in Geelong, might just give him a call tomorrow.

Do you know him at all or just know of him??

yeah Ash Davies - known him for a while as well - really good bloke and has some great products - many of them are for the RWD bricks but should be some for the 850 as well.
ajwilson999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #42
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looked at an 850r wagon. Guy told me it had a fully rebuilt engine under warranty. I looked at the name in the service book and rang the mechanic. It was a second hand engine from the wreckers. No warranty. Car is very nice tho, $5250.

Why is it tho, that nearly every R i look at has had a rebuilt engine??

They have plenty of go, but I couldn't find a review of one that had pulled better 15.32 quarter mile stock. Can't see low 14's or high thirteens stock. (hard to launch - they are quicker from 100-160kph than 0-100)

I owned own new (manual sedan). The best i got out of it was 15.002. When the head gasket went, i got it fixed under warranty and sold it.

I ended up buying a non-turbo 850 for the wife last week.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #43
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Back in the day Volvo claimed the 850-R would accelerate from 80-120k quicker than a Ferrari F355. I love these cars, I seriously considered buying one before I got the BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post