Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2023, 02:36 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Vans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
No dog in this fight but I did have a loaner Renault traffic a few years back,
the DSG box was really weird to drive in traffic so avoid this poor automatic copy.

The problem you will face is availability and time to delivery….Hiace might be the safest option.

October sales of Vans:
Light Vans: Volkswagen Caddy (115), Peugeot Partner (34), Renault Kangoo (5)
Medium Vans: Toyota HiAce (712), LDV G10 (347), Hyundai Staria Load (223)
Large Vans: LDV Deliver 9 (274), Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (172), Renault Master (169)

Actually amazed as to how few van sales there are in Australia, I guess tradies preferring
to buy dual cab 4x4 Utes is a big part of that….
We'll all buy dual cab utes then have to tow that trailer around with us everywhere

I've got a single cab tray back Ute with ladder racks and I've not needed to tow a trailer with it for work purposes as I can fit everything on the racks and in the back.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2023, 02:46 PM   #32
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the DSG box was really weird to drive in traffic so avoid this poor automatic copy.

The problem you will face is availability and time to delivery….Hiace might be the safest option.

October sales of Vans:
Large Vans: LDV Deliver 9 (274), Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (172), Renault Master (169)

Actually amazed as to how few van sales there are in Australia, I guess tradies preferring
And looking at that where is Ford Transit? Below the top 3 in sales again FORD UTE AUS can procure stock from FORD EUR.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2023, 03:01 PM   #33
tbro4123

So if the VW has been good and you can't get them then why aren't you looking at the Sprinter, same same as made in the same factory, not sure about motors but if the ambos use the Sprinter then they need to be reliable.

I've had 4 sprinters,all basically ambo spec with the first 2 manuals, first one was a 2008 315, retired to spare at 850,000kms 2019, next one was a 2012 316 same sort of mileage annually, pensioned to out west depot in 2018 and as far as I know still running all over the place.
Purchased 2 more in 2018,were stripped out and sold separately when we sold the business, all fitted with alloy bull bars, safety cage behind seats and rubber mats on the cargo area and rear step/tow bar. We then fitted them out as service units with all the lights and whistles needed, only issue was we needed to keep an eye on weights when loaded to do a country service run, oils parts and usually 2 or more condenser units 100kgs each plus gas and equip.

Only repairs was a set of turbos at 600,ooo kms, clutch and flywheel and shocks.

Fuel when running normal between 9 to 10/100kms, big load same sort of mileage, mostly highway mileage.

Always serviced at 10,000 kms, always used Cost Effective fuel products and genuine filters (we ran 99% Merc products and got a very good price on parts Tyres ( Continentals) every 90,000 to 100,000 kms

My only bitch with the 2008 the lousy radio and uncomfortable drivers seat after 6 hrs of driving.

Expensive??? maybe compared to Jap/asian stuff, but in the long run you get what you pay for and breakdowns are very expensive if it cost you a customer.

The first one

Good luck choosing one.

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2023, 03:07 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post
So if the VW has been good and you can't get them then why aren't you looking at the Sprinter, same same as made in the same factory, not sure about motors but if the ambos use the Sprinter then they need to be reliable.

I've had 4 sprinters,all basically ambo spec with the first 2 manuals, first one was a 2008 315, retired to spare at 850,000kms 2019, next one was a 2012 316 same sort of mileage annually, pensioned to out west depot in 2018 and as far as I know still running all over the place.
Purchased 2 more in 2018,were stripped out and sold separately when we sold the business, all fitted with alloy bull bars, safety cage behind seats and rubber mats on the cargo area and rear step/tow bar. We then fitted them out as service units with all the lights and whistles needed, only issue was we needed to keep an eye on weights when loaded to do a country service run, oils parts and usually 2 or more condenser units 100kgs each plus gas and equip.

Only repairs was a set of turbos at 600,ooo kms, clutch and flywheel and shocks.

Fuel when running normal between 9 to 10/100kms, big load same sort of mileage, mostly highway mileage.

Always serviced at 10,000 kms, always used Cost Effective fuel products and genuine filters (we ran 99% Merc products and got a very good price on parts Tyres ( Continentals) every 90,000 to 100,000 kms

My only bitch with the 2008 the lousy radio and uncomfortable drivers seat after 6 hrs of driving.

Expensive??? maybe compared to Jap/asian stuff, but in the long run you get what you pay for and breakdowns are very expensive if it cost you a customer.

The first one

Good luck choosing one.

Terry aka Tbro
Ambo spec one is good, its the medium wheel base and medium roof model, its not too long or tall.

I've worked on one or two in my time:

I reckon the 1990s/early 00s old boxy banger prior to the 2006 NCV3 model redesign drove better than the 4 cylinder spec of the Melbourne metro ambulances, more throttle response, but you hardly ever see one of the old bangers around anymore.

6 cylinder one is a good though, not sure if its still made.

Because they're used by our ambulance services nationwide spare parts availability is pretty good for aftermarket and genuine.

Used to maintain NPT's fleet of ****box patient transporters, those guys would be running these things into the ground, have them come in with 700,000km on the clock.

https://www.nptgroup.com.au/
Old 04-11-2023, 03:21 PM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Guys, we need to buy a new work van at work.

First of all, geepers, Vans are expensive now!

Virtually the only brand who has stock is Renault, in particular the Traffic. Are these any good?

No, the Chinese stuff is off the table.

I can't convince them to look at a Transit because of past grievances.

We have a current model VW Crafter in the fleet and it's been very good, but any VW van is a 12+ month order proposition. We need one now!

And the HiAce just seems so antiquated to me.

Observation - why the local car companies didn't convert to making commercial vehicles rather than the fickle sedan market is beyond me. Virtually a constant, never ending demand for commercials.
I take it, it's for plant deliveries ?? A smaller Isuzu truck than Franco suggested say NKR,200, full manual, tray top,caged and canvassed.
My own Trader came from the NSW Blue mountains and used only on a Christmas tree farm.
Caged and tarped tray and easily converted to an open top for large stuff. Simple and tough.

I see a fair few Renaults getting around here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2023, 04:20 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
We'll all buy dual cab utes then have to tow that trailer around with us everywhere
Apart from jet ski trailer, I’ve not seen a crew cab Ute tow anything work related…

Tiny sales of Vans tells me the market has made their choice, you can pound sand
all you like with single cab Ute ideas, they’re just not popular anymore.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2023, 04:24 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
And looking at that where is Ford Transit? Below the top 3 in sales again FORD UTE AUS can procure stock from FORD EUR.
They’re off crowing about their new EV Transit….you know, the one no one gives a stuff about.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #38
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

October sales of Vans:

I think the lack of availability of Vans, particularly Ford vans for nearly 2 years has added some sales to Ranger and other utes.

You can't even build and price any van on Ford's website.

Parcel delivery needs means you can only really choose a van or box truck but vans in this case are just easier to live with.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 04-11-2023 at 05:57 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2023, 06:19 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I think the lack of availability of Vans, particularly Ford vans for nearly 2 years has added some sales to Ranger and other utes.

You can't even build and price any van on Ford's website.

Parcel delivery needs means you can only really choose a van or box truck but vans in this case are just easier to live with.
Box truck. You can tell you're from Melbourne.
Pantech's as they are known everywhere else in Oz.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:54 PM   #40
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai?

Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2023, 09:18 PM   #41
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Might not be as big as you think - overall length of the SWB EX4 Mighty is 5,300mm, it wouldn't be that much bigger than a Ranger it'll just be a bit taller, but they have tighter turning circles than Thailuxes too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Maybe overall height would stop you from entry into carparks as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
I take it, it's for plant deliveries ?? A smaller Isuzu truck than Franco suggested say NKR,200, full manual, tray top,caged and canvassed.
My own Trader came from the NSW Blue mountains and used only on a Christmas tree farm.
Caged and tarped tray and easily converted to an open top for large stuff. Simple and tough.
We already have a small Isuzu truck and a large VW Crafter in the fleet. Both serve larger deliveries.

This new van needs to be multi-driver capable and approachable for all employees. You can read between the lines what that means in regard to catering for all. The size, bulk and truck-like driving dynamics are just not practical in this situation.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2023, 09:26 PM   #42
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post
So if the VW has been good and you can't get them then why aren't you looking at the Sprinter, same as made in the same factory, not sure about motors but if the ambos use the Sprinter then they need to be reliable.

Terry aka Tbro
Last night, I went looking around on Carsales in relation to both Transporter and Mercedes Benz Vito (Sprinter is too big). I found both Transporter and Vito's in stock with anywhere between 400 to 1200 km on the clock. Both seem priced about the same, slightly more for the Vito.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...22534477/?Cr=5
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...2535766/?Cr=32

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...21519125/?Cr=4
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...2226081/?Cr=10

A Transporter is now my recommendation after hearing too many bad stories (here and otherwhere) about the Traffic. I like that it will match the Crafter. The Traffic is in stock and ready to go at the local dealer, which would make the process easy, but I think its better hunting down the better vehicle.
Mustang GT

Old 04-11-2023, 09:32 PM   #43
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know why Kia don't sell a stripped out Carnival as a Van.
While it doesn't have the height and pallet loading space of a purpose made Van.
I am sure some trades could still deck out the interior and place ladders ect on top and have a better chance at getting into Car Parks for Service type work.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2023, 09:39 PM   #44
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I've got a single cab tray back Ute with ladder racks and I've not needed to tow a trailer with it for work purposes as I can fit everything on the racks and in the back.
Not that I'm covering new ground here, but I have never understood the point of buying a utility vehicle for work purposes, only to then have to tow a trailer everywhere because the tray is uselessly small, and the payload less than you'd expect. Not to mention then needing somewhere to park the trailer after hours. No such problems with a single cab.

I actually put 600 kg in the back of a customer's PX III Ranger Wildtrak, the thing was down on the bump stops and the nose pointing in the air. And even then, I ran out of room in the tub and the rest ended up on the back seat. No such problems with a single cab.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2023, 01:06 AM   #45
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Box truck. You can tell you're from Melbourne.
Pantech's as they are known everywhere else in Oz.
Well it does state my location is Melb........
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2023, 08:29 AM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I don't know why Kia don't sell a stripped out Carnival as a Van.
While it doesn't have the height and pallet loading space of a purpose made Van.
I am sure some trades could still deck out the interior and place ladders ect on top and have a better chance at getting into Car Parks for Service type work.
Seen a couple getting around converted to campers.
Rear lift gate perfect for kitchen, fold out bed forward. The new breed backpackers must have a whole new funding structure or Australia has finally run out of affordable clapped out Mitsi L300 or EA-BF wagons.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:02 AM   #47
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw some campers/backpackers in an FG2 Ecolpi ute with rear canopy.
I thought good choice if a bit tight still a nice cheap drive.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:35 AM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Last night, I went looking around on Carsales in relation to both Transporter and Mercedes Benz Vito (Sprinter is too big). I found both Transporter and Vito's in stock with anywhere between 400 to 1200 km on the clock. Both seem priced about the same, slightly more for the Vito.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...22534477/?Cr=5
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...2535766/?Cr=32

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...21519125/?Cr=4
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...2226081/?Cr=10

A Transporter is now my recommendation after hearing too many bad stories (here and otherwhere) about the Traffic. I like that it will match the Crafter. The Traffic is in stock and ready to go at the local dealer, which would make the process easy, but I think its better hunting down the better vehicle.
Be careful if Transporter is DSG, they were back in my day (lol), I was involved in Victoria Police's Vito to Transporter transition and it was a ****show with DSG failures.

I'm pretty sure the Vito's '7G Tronic' trans is a traditional slushbox and would be my recommendation out of those two.

However Transporter has a bangin' stereo for Kylie
Old 05-11-2023, 11:39 AM   #49
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fox y have got a dozen odd transporters in Bris which are knocking on 400000 kms
They have had dsg issues but maybe found a cheap way to fix them
They also have manual crafters or up till recently have done over 400000 kms
Fleet drivers hard on throttle hard on brakes you know the type of steering wheel attandant
Old 05-11-2023, 12:37 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Fox y have got a dozen odd transporters in Bris which are knocking on 400000 kms
They have had dsg issues but maybe found a cheap way to fix them
They also have manual crafters or up till recently have done over 400000 kms
Fleet drivers hard on throttle hard on brakes you know the type of steering wheel attandant
What scares me with DSGs and commercial vehicles is the weight in them and their first gear traffic light antics with it getting on and off the clutches as well as reversing up inclines, its a recipe for disaster.

Victoria Police turned over their Vitos and Transporters every 40,000km, felt like I was building them then they were coming in for decommissioning and heading to the auctions not long after

Ambulance Victoria kept their Sprinter ambulances for 250,000km or there abouts before they got stripped and headed out to auction.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #51
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes
You are at a busy roundabout in peak hour
You have moved to the front see a gap hit the throttle and get hesitation
Or worse still
You forgot to switch active stop start off and as you hit the go pedal the engine cuts out
Very un safe

Reversing uphill driveways my dual clutch Puma hates it and makes a bang noise as if the whole set up is stuck
I park on the road and walk up down drives when possible
Old 05-11-2023, 12:49 PM   #52
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Note the roundabout situation referred to vw transporters

Puma is sweet on the flat
Old 05-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #53
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It was easy to schmooze the Selespeeds in these situations, the handbrake being cable operated and having no logical input to the PCM. So you used it to gently preload the driveline and achieve a smooth reverse or take-off.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2023, 01:01 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It was easy to schmooze the Selespeeds in these situations, the handbrake being cable operated and having no logical input to the PCM. So you used it to gently preload the driveline and achieve a smooth reverse or take-off.
Thats the problem, you shouldn't need to schmooze stuff, it should just drive properly out the box

With a torque converter auto you press the accelerator or the brake and it drives properly, and it doesn't **** the bed in slow speed suburban driving between traffic lights or reversing up a driveway on an incline.

I'm not sure what engineers fetish is with putting these gearboxes in everything, they should be reserved to performance cars and expensive exotics, the white van that carries 1000kg+ lurching around suburbia doesn't need to change gears in .00000000001 second

Automotive engineers with their DSGs are on par with those feet people I reckon.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2023, 01:20 PM   #55
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You go nowhere near the handbrake with a vw dsg
It seriously misbehaves as it gets totally confused

Mind you a manual will clutch shudder reversing up inclined drives if it’s say a 70 kw three cyl turbo and hasn’t got to the boost and torque
Old 05-11-2023, 01:21 PM   #56
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats the problem, you shouldn't need to schmooze stuff, it should just drive properly out the box

With a torque converter auto you press the accelerator or the brake and it drives properly, and it doesn't **** the bed in slow speed suburban driving between traffic lights or reversing up a driveway on an incline.

I'm not sure what engineers fetish is with putting these gearboxes in everything, they should be reserved to performance cars and expensive exotics, the white van that carries 1000kg+ lurching around suburbia doesn't need to change gears in .00000000001 second

Automotive engineers with their DSGs are on par with those feet people I reckon.

Feet people?
On the beers?
Old 05-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #57
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Be careful if Transporter is DSG, they were back in my day (lol), I was involved in Victoria Police's Vito to Transporter transition and it was a ****show with DSG failures.

I'm pretty sure the Vito's '7G Tronic' trans is a traditional slushbox and would be my recommendation out of those two.

However Transporter has a bangin' stereo for Kylie
I'm willing to bet that our Crafter is the only Crafter to have made deliveries with Kylie banging on the stereo!

Surprisingly, the Crafter, and my Povo spec Ranger, seem to have better audio systems than my "Premium Sound" equipped FG-X, without the separate amp and sub.

Quote:

I think this is why the Crafter has been so well received within the company, it's just a normal, torque converter auto and makes it so easy to drive. Shift speed? Almost the same as a DSG, so what's the point of a DSG then?

I was told yesterday that the Crafter "is the best van we've ever had". Ours is the long wheelbase, low roof model. It's so easy to drive and a world apart from what it replaced, which always felt like it was sitting on tippy toes. The Crafter corners flat and composed, the brakes are excellent (although suuuper dusty), the twin-turbo engine has no trouble hauling, and as above, I really like the normal 8-speed auto.

It's now got about 97,000km on the clock and had a set of tyres and a set of rotors and pads. It's had two small warranty items, and the drivers lower mirror fell off. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things for a working vehicle.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #58
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so does it need to be new? I guess for tax yes. But there are some decent Crafters on Carsales,

2023 Volkswagen Crafter 50 TDI410 SY1 LWB Auto MY23
$85,975*
Excl. Govt. Charges
54 km
Van
Automatic
4cyl 2.0L Turbo Diesel
Check vehicle history
Dealer Used Car
WA

2020 Volkswagen Crafter 50 TDI410 SY1 LWB Auto MY20
$58,990 Drive Away
$56,569 Excl. Est. Govt. Charges
62,479 km
Van
Automatic
4cyl 2.0L Turbo Diesel
Check vehicle history
Dealer Used Car
VIC
Old 06-11-2023, 12:39 PM   #59
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Hiace is massive. Too big

Toyota should release a smaller van. I'd rather the previous model Hiace over the new boat
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2023, 12:54 PM   #60
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are you saying?
Bring back the Lightace.
What an absolute pos that was in the 90 s
Bus set up 1.3 litre four **** dragging on the ground
Hilarious

If you think the new Hiace is big try a semi trailer or 16 pallet heavy rigid round the inner city.