Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #1171
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post

So as an Aussie company they are really quite special. I owned, in order, an EH wagon, LJ Torana, EH sedan, LX Hatchback, HJ Premier, VK Director, VT Berlina. I've owned more Holdens than Fords

It hasn't been an Australian company since 1931

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #1172
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Wow, some of the comments really surprise me, I didn't think some of you guys had it in you.
If not for Holden's commitment to V8 racing from 82 to 92, when Ford AU got its Mojo back, there would likely have been no Tickford, no FPV and quite likely no Mustang now.

And don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til its gone...
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #1173
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The issue with engineers in the automotive industry is they seem to be hired on a temp/casual basis for projects then they get let go between projects - there's no more perminent full time work for them available, if there is its rare as hens teeth.
Many are employed full time, but yes there is contract engineers

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 17-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #1174
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

As sad as this is today, I feeling even sadder in thinking that it's only a matter of time for the Blue Oval here as well.

They really don't have anything that I wish to buy, and that sucks.

Ed :(
Old 17-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #1175
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Was just a matter of time.

I wonder how much money GM wasted making the C8 Corvette in RHD?
I read this in Car Advice web site.

General Motors Specialty Vehicles
With the Holden name to be retired by the end of this year, General Motors is considering a new sub-brand called General Motors Specialty Vehicles (GMSV) that would sell selected US models – most of which will be converted to right-hand-drive by the company formerly known as Holden Special Vehicles, and which currently imports the Chevrolet Camaro muscle car and Chevrolet Silverado pick-up.

The Camaro and Silverado are currently sold through 65 of Holden’s 204 dealers nationally. It is unclear which of those dealers will continue under the proposed GMSV name and new arrangements.

While the new deal would initially apply to existing models such as the Chevrolet Camaro SS, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and upcoming Chevrolet Silverado 1500, other models out of the US are expected to follow.

Options include the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban seven-seat SUVs, as well as certain Cadillac SUVs that share their underpinnings. There is also the possibility the electric Hummer pick-up – due to go into production in the US two years from now – could be sold in Australia some time down the road if converted to right-hand-drive locally.

The introduction of the GMSV sub-brand also solves the problem of what badge to sell the iconic Chevrolet Corvette sports car under. It is due in Australian showrooms next year but will be factory-built in right-hand-drive. Its rear-engine layout made the conversion easier and more affordable on this model.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #1176
MercuryT
Banned

I'm not a Holden person but the VE onward Sportswagon a great ride. Looked tough and so practical.

Ford were too stupid to do something similar and thought people would buy Territories or other boring (but good) 4wd vehicles.

Both companies quick tracked their demise here imo

Last edited by MercuryT; 17-02-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 17-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #1177
MercuryT
Banned

In fact I think both companies made continually poor decisions in last 10 years.

Sure death inevitable in modern production but the current Commodore they brought out?

Basically a death wise before even sold as clearly not what any local market here wanted.
Old 17-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #1178
JG33

GM itself nearly died in 2009, they just build shiite cars and basically a shiite car company.

When they sold Opel and Vauxhall which they owned for many decades and hardly made any profit to PSA Group, PSA turned it around and started to make profit in less time than when GM owned them.
Old 18-02-2020, 12:02 AM   #1179
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
You need to get your Quotes right first mate 👎

That’s a stupid cynical post.

Yes, Holden are a great Australian Brand, they made cars for this great country and employed many Australians for many years, they were one of our country’s great Icons.

Now they are basically gone.

Now go away and float your boat.
How about that .
Got your nose out of joint i see , you should remember me imo , you aka holdoff favors Tax Payer Funded "Parasite" vehicles , parasitism off tax payers for years and years by a American company Lol .

Name change for the forum soon i reckon creep , Cars never owned by Australia .
Cya
Old 18-02-2020, 12:03 AM   #1180
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
It hasn't been an Australian company since 1931
Don't tell Fordman1 , he might **** bricks the Hero .
Old 18-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #1181
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

So back on topic , when is the rego being increased for all those Parasite Vehicles so we the Taxpayers can get all that money back !
Old 18-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #1182
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't help but think that today's announcement is almost like the latest installment in the saga that seems to have been the 'death of a thousand cuts' for Holden.

First it was the announcement of the cessation of local manufacturing, followed by the replacement Commodore debacle and now the final blow. I almost wish they could have wound it all up by the end of the month so it was finally done and dusted, however I realise that's not possible.

I really feel sorry for those who in the last 10 years or so have invested significant funds and put everything on the line to make a go of running a Holden dealership. The past few years must have been their worst nightmare.

It's a sad day for the industry and for Australia. Even though we all knew in was imminent it's none the less disappointing.
Old 18-02-2020, 12:35 AM   #1183
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
I can't help but think that today's announcement is almost like the latest installment in the saga that seems to have been the 'death of a thousand cuts' for Holden.

First it was the announcement of the cessation of local manufacturing, followed by the replacement Commodore debacle and now the final blow. I almost wish they could have wound it all up by the end of the month so it was finally done and dusted, however I realise that's not possible.

I really feel sorry for those who in the last 10 years or so have invested significant funds and put everything on the line to make a go of running a Holden dealership. The past few years must have been their worst nightmare.

It's a sad day for the industry and for Australia. Even though we all knew in was imminent it's none the less disappointing.
I feel for the Dealers who've had a massive amount of Goodwill & equity flushed down the Toilet the last few years.....& were fed a line of BS by GM.. Remember the 20 new models by 2020 BS..????
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #1184
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It was all over once the Holden fans stopped believing in GM
they turned their backs on Holden and took the extended family
sales with them.

I wonder if Ford felt the branch crack beneath them today......
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 01:05 AM   #1185
Itsme
Experienced Member

Wow did not think this really would ever happened but at least I will cherish the Holden memorabilia I have and the great memories of all the Holden's, Torana's & Commodores I've owned and driven over the years.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 01:24 AM   #1186
Vormund

Funny how other car makers can do both RHD and LHD.

With electric cars on the horizon as well, designing cars for both will be easier.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 01:27 AM   #1187
K.P.

As a direct Holden descendant I just want to express how shocked and dismayed I am. Hundreds of jobs lost, I'm still in mild shock. Yes I prefer Fords, but why, General Motors, why?

The scuttlebutt was that when Joe Hockey and Abbott dared Australian car manufacturers to leave that the Chinese were demanding an end to Australian car manufacture so they could move in or no free-trade agreement with China. Who wants a bloody Great Wall?

Once again, my deepest apologies to the motoring community. It was a US based decision, my ancestor (who started the automotive division of the Holden Coach Company and yes a Holden himself) was before GM bought Holden in the 1930's. We had a circus too, eastern seaboard only mainly Vic but into NSW and Tasmania, which was wound up in the 1990s.
5 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #1188
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I'm not a Holden person but the VE onward Sportswagon a great ride. Looked tough and so practical.

Ford were too stupid to do something similar and thought people would buy Territories or other boring (but good) 4wd vehicles.

Both companies quick tracked their demise here imo
Ummm, I think you'll find territory outsold Commodore wagon by a significant margin.
Old 18-02-2020, 01:37 AM   #1189
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post
So back on topic , when is the rego being increased for all those Parasite Vehicles so we the Taxpayers can get all that money back !
Any subsidy handed out by the govt would have been repaid in revenue a long time ago. Every car manufacturing nation is subsidised by their govt and they do this knowing a manufacturing industry is multi layered and revenue from the industry as a whole far outweighs the subsidy invested.
Old 18-02-2020, 02:59 AM   #1190
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Ummm, I think you'll find territory outsold Commodore wagon by a significant margin.
I doubt that. I see more VE-VF wagons than Territories here.

But then I'd barely notice the latter anyway as so invisible so you may be right.

Last edited by MercuryT; 18-02-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:01 AM   #1191
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not that relevant anyway as the Territory is a school bus with a blue badge so two different purposes to the SS Wagon.

Last edited by MercuryT; 18-02-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old 18-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #1192
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post
Don't tell Fordman1 , he might **** bricks the Hero .
Lol .... 🤣
Old 18-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #1193
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
And so we have the answer to the thread. The indigenous motor company that was painstakingly built, co-funded, and grown with policy by the adults who lived through the Great Depression (in 1969 Holden had their own ship and were exporting to SE Asia); then saw the protections stripped away as their children came into power; now gone and their grandchildren will have to go offshore if they want to value-add or have an automotive career with a major car co. We are back to where we started before Chifley launched that first Holden 48-215...

Edit: in truth, 2017 was that time, but now the brand is gone too.
I share your sentiments totally, but there was no "co-funding" of GM-H in the early days. It was a big myth that Holden was "given" any funds in the early years. The best they got was a loan which was fully repaid.

Dr Terry
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #1194
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can Government Motors in the US kindly return the billions in subsidies pilfered from the Australian taxpayer through Gillard/Rudd on your way out the door? GM in Detroit must be laughing all the way to the bank, aided and abetted by our illustrious leaders.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #1195
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Lol .... 🤣
Well I’m baffled, I guess some people have “issues”
Old 18-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #1196
XWGT