Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Lightbulb Astra SRi vs XR5

You lads may also be interested in the article on Carsguide....

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

Compares the Astra SRi to the XR5... XR5 gets the nod but the SRi does get a good wrap too.

Cheers,
Miyagi

PS - Teki's the man regarding this article

Old 19-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw and sat in an SRi on the weekend- I was very impressed. Personally I prefer the styling of it over the XR5 and think it will sell well.

If only I had some spare cash.....
Old 19-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

Two very different cars...XR5 is a drivers car...SRi is a girls wannabe drivers car...

i studied the innards of the current astra...you can tell its not a real holden...i mean true european design is so much better than a commodore or a korean craphole...

but nothing comes as close as the focus!
silverfocusstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfocusstar
Two very different cars...XR5 is a drivers car...SRi is a girls wannabe drivers car...

i studied the innards of the current astra...you can tell its not a real holden...i mean true european design is so much better than a commodore or a korean craphole...
Thanks for that in depth analysis of the Astra's shortcomings! :

Reality check time- neither of them are genuine "sports" cars and they're both based on "a girls wannabe drivers car".
Old 19-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

They are Hot Hatches.... let the hot hatch war begin!

The Astra's shortcoming of limited power - I do believe the Golf GTI has the same power, and they are selling well. Also, the HSV (still getting my head around this one) Astra VXR is going to have the power to match, and surpass the XR5T.

Consider the Astra SRi Turbo as more road bias, and the VXR for those after more spirited driving, and possible track days

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
Forest Bear

Hell, I like both. Got a soft spot for Astra having previously owned one. Although I like the Focus more nowadays.

Looks like we got a hot hatch war like FPV and HSV. Things ar going to get scary. Right now SRI is being thumped by XR5. Then VXR is going to have XR5 for breakfast. Then Ford will give us Focus RS. Then Opel is going to ...I dunno. Bring it on!!!
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hell,

The new RenaultSport Clio 197 is out soon too (and is much bigger also)
Then the new VXR, current SRi Turbo, Megane Cup (new model soon too) future 207 GTI, R32, the new XR5T, the already established Polo and Golf GTI.... things are going to boil! Can't wait for it all to come out...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 19-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be interesting to see a full magazine review of the SRi vs XR5. The XR5 wasn't all that quick in a straight line in the wheels test.

I reckon the sales will come down to brand loyalty or whatever the buyer thinks looks best. The XR5 should grab some sales for being a two door; the Astra for better equipment and lower price.
Old 20-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

cant wait till they do a hot hatch mega test...they've done the stock cars before in wheels...so i reckon its time once all the hot hatches are out, to have a mega shootout!

but nothing comes as close as the focus!
silverfocusstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And of course my previous post should have said "the XR5 should grab some sales for being a FIVE door....."

PS: why isn't there an edit option any more on posts?
Old 20-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
And of course my previous post should have said "the XR5 should grab some sales for being a FIVE door....."

PS: why isn't there an edit option any more on posts?
No idea, ask the admin. Maybe because people were saying stupid things then changing it.

XR5 is in my opinion much better than the SRi.

And i know holden supporters will, because its what they do, is that they will compare the XR5 to the VXR, where both cars are in different catergories in a way, HSV vs Ford. Its like comparing a Clubsport to a XR6 Turbo, way different price regions.

The VXR is said to be $44k plus on roads, thats quite alot more than 36 for the XR5.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, the XR5 should be compared to the SRi. I don't reckon the VXR will be worth the extra $$$ personally- put the extra into sorting out the SRi's suspension and a bit more boost.

I don't follow any particular brand, I buy what I like/ suits me most. I've owned a Holden, a Nissan, two Fords (not Aussie made ones...), a Peugeot and two Daihatsu's. Personally the external styling of the XR5 doesn't do it for me- of course anyone would be silly not to drive both before making a decision. ;)
Old 20-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Compare what you will, but taking the VXR (from the top shelf) the ST is rated above it in every comparison written in Europe. So it seems ot beat both happily. About theo nly thing going for the VXR is the straight line speed, otherwise it has ridiculous 19 inch rims and suffers from serious lane changing torque steer according to Euro press. Will be very interested to see the results when it is finally launced and reviewed.
Old 21-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #14
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Compare what you will, but taking the VXR (from the top shelf) the ST is rated above it in every comparison written in Europe. So it seems ot beat both happily. About theo nly thing going for the VXR is the straight line speed, otherwise it has ridiculous 19 inch rims and suffers from serious lane changing torque steer according to Euro press. Will be very interested to see the results when it is finally launced and reviewed.
I find it funny how alot of people complain about torque steer, i mean, in a high powered fwd there's not real way around it, as far as i'm concerned it isn't even that bad, once you get used to it it's just another characteristic of the car
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
About theo nly thing going for the VXR is the straight line speed,
Well that's all a lot of people are interested in..... winning traffic light drags!
:1syellow1
Old 21-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #16
Disco1986

isnt a BF GT just a tuned up family car, same with Xr8/6t! I dont think thier are too many sports cars built %100 from the ground up! Porsche would one example!
Disco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1986
isnt a BF GT just a tuned up family car, same with Xr8/6t! I dont think thier are too many sports cars built %100 from the ground up! Porsche would one example!
Economies of scale have changed the way car makers can build things these days, it seems everyone from Mazda to Toyota (excuse me while I vomit) are plastering the word sporty all over their cars to try and win over the masses into their latest sporty sport sportivo with 15inch alloys and a Fischer Price My First Bodykit glued on. At the end of the day, there'll always be the genuine sports cars, but what's really worth looking for is those seriousl well sorted multi-purpose vehicles, like the hot-hatches, super-sedans and sporty-SUVs. XR5T, XR6T, Territory Turbo. All have Ford badges :
Old 21-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #18
marcosambrose

The term 'Sportscar' is loosely thrown around, i can name a few: MX-5, 911, Boxster, Audi TT.

The fact is there are less and less pure 'Sportscars' on the market, its cheaper and more viable for companies to change sedans and hatchs into 'Sports-sedans' and 'Hot-Hatches'.

Im not saying sportssedans and hothatches havent been around for that long, im just pointing out that the sportscar is a dying breed, unfortunately.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
STCOOL
Starter Motor

Has anyone checked out the new Golf GTI or the Golf R32. You will have to look on the Uk or European sites as its not yet on the .com.au site. Just got the brochures in the mail & very impressive if you like a bit more luxury, performance & want to still have very good fuel economy. The GTI is a bit more than the XR5, but its very well finished & would probably have a better long term reliability & resale value. I have had 4 cylinder Fords all my life, but after owning a not so reliable ST170 with poor service support & knowledge for this model, I am not too keen on the new model. I am seriously considering the new GTI.
STCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
8pAc
RDP #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCOOL
Has anyone checked out the new Golf GTI or the Golf R32. You will have to look on the Uk or European sites as its not yet on the .com.au site. Just got the brochures in the mail & very impressive if you like a bit more luxury, performance & want to still have very good fuel economy. The GTI is a bit more than the XR5, but its very well finished & would probably have a better long term reliability & resale value. I have had 4 cylinder Fords all my life, but after owning a not so reliable ST170 with poor service support & knowledge for this model, I am not too keen on the new model. I am seriously considering the new GTI.
The new GTI is a very good car, my Boss picks his up on tuesday, after a 10 MONTH WAIT!!!!! The only chance of getting a GTI any time soon is getting an ex demo car.
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Hey STCOOL, welcome along.

The Golf GTi is somewhat well known amongst people here... that's a bit of an understatement. It's the class benchmark.

In terms of worrying about the XR5T, I wouldn't be. The XR5T is massive, not a niche model. It is not a limited edition like the ST170 was either, which only came here in 2 shipments. The XR5T is better in just about every way than the ST170, even 2 grand cheaper!!! It shakes the class upside down for value, whilst still offering as good (if not better) a package than the Golf for bang for your buck. Nobody can argue at the class and presentation of the Golf GTi, a beautiful car and great value in it's own right. It's just that the XR5 Turbo takes the value and performance equation that little bit further by offering so much for less. Both would be fantastic cars to own, at the end of the dayu it comes down to preference and budget. Are you looking for best bang for your dollar, manual and sharp looks? XR5T. Looking for nothing more than return on investment (then don't buy a car!) - GTi has the public opinion as the best investment, although is not guaranteed to be better, odds on it will be. The GTi is pure class, but I wouldn't hesitate for a millisecond to buy an XR5 over a Golf simply because it is quicker, looks that little more sporty and offers an unbelievable value equation. All that would really stop me from buying an XR5 T is if I wanted a DSG or Xenon headlights... and the DSG there is honestly the only valid reason for rejecting an XR5T. Golf charges $3k for leather, Focus is $2k... when you compare these kinds of things side by side... you start to wonder just how much good value the Golf really is.
Old 24-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #22
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Has anyone seen the segment on The Car Show (Channel 9) aired here in N.S.W. today and also during the week?? They didn't get off to a good start as the journo said "they couldn't get the bonnet open for a week" Didn't they think of referring to the Owner's Manual? There was a reference to "both looking the same at a quick glance". I don't think so. And throughout the segment they just kept referring to the XR5 Turbo as a "XR5". Maybe they didn't know it was turbocharged.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #23
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Has anyone seen the segment on The Car Show (Channel 9) aired here in N.S.W. today and also during the week?? They didn't get off to a good start as the journo said "they couldn't get the bonnet open for a week" Didn't they think of referring to the Owner's Manual? There was a reference to "both looking the same at a quick glance". I don't think so. And throughout the segment they just kept referring to the XR5 Turbo as a "XR5". Maybe they didn't know it was turbocharged.

Hahaha and when they test drove the VW Golf GTI.. They guy CRASHED IT into a gutter !! whole front bar came off, it had to be towed away!!!

Quote:
Fischer Price My First Bodykit glued on
LOL thats gold!
Old 24-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #24
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
And throughout the segment they just kept referring to the XR5 Turbo as a "XR5". Maybe they didn't know it was turbocharged.
Remember there is only ONE model XR5 made / sold- and it is a turbo.... It's not like the XR6's where you can get NA and turbo models.

Out of interest in July Motor they do a quick review of the SRi -
Quote:
"... the chassis responds eagerly to the steering. Again the tiller's not as lively as a CLio or Golf but in isolation the Astra will entertain on road or track."
Discussing times around Oran Park-
Quote:
"... the SRi managed a very respectable 55.4 second. For reference, our own Dean Evans lapped the same circuit in a 190kW, all- wheel drive Mazda6 MPS in a high 52.... at a tenner less than $35k it's hard to beat for Bang For Your Bucks.... "
Old 24-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #25
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I saw that thing on the Car Show. I didnt think it was a good article at all. Abit lacking on details. And at the end they basically just said This is a Ford, That is a Holden. Pick whichever you want. I mean, why not tell us which one handled better, and such.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #26
Talldude

the show is a jokei really dont like it.

i guess there afraid to give an opinon cause they might not get any cars in the future to review from the company they review.

so gutless that show is.
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #27
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Top Gear still rules IMHO. There arent alot of shows out there what will literally say "this car... is crap". Gotta love that. Honesty is rare in journalism.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Girl at work might have an SRi Turbo for the day - will report if I get to ride in it!

Old 25-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #29
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Girl at work might have an SRi Turbo for the day - will report if I get to ride in it!

Car or Girl? Or is that too rude? ;)
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #30
guym

marcosambrose your comment,

The term 'Sportscar' is loosely thrown around, i can name a few: MX-5, 911, Boxster, Audi TT.

The first couple I would have to agree with, but the Audi TT, don't think so, The VW Golf, Golf GTI, Beetle, Audi A3, Audi TT are based on VW Golf as its base floor plan. The rest is changes to the base vehicle. VW actually said once that the beetle would never have been built if it wasn't based on the Golf and then just change the panels. I am not suggesting that the Audi TT is just a golf with different panels, there is a lot of other changes as well, but is not a sports car built from the ground up.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post