Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
guym

Default Mazda 3 MPS announced

Car point just put up details of the new Mazda3 MPS. Looks like it could be the class leader. Lots more power than even the XR5T, and the best of all looks like Australia will get around 130 a month, 3-4 times the number that ford are offering for the XR5T.

Look out ford, better start taking notice of the growth of the hot hatch marked and not get left behind. The XR5T looks and reads as a great car but looks like other manufactures see the market as being bigger than you think.

Reading this site and others the market has spoken, we want cars like this is increasing numbers and other manufactures are stepping up to the market to take a big chunk of market share, Come on ford time to step up to the mark.

guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/1877474.aspx

ouch, pwned
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
BlackLS

Mazda's definatly captured the hearts of the Aussie buying public.

One thing you can say about the XR5 is that it would be 5 grand cheaper and probably has more torque, but if you were in that market, you'd almost definatly go the Mazda3. 6.1 0-100 is pretty inviting
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Call me biased.

I'd much rather this;

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/1873972.aspx

Only 30 of them coming too!

But inregards to the MP3, I'd rather pocket the $8k and have an Xr5T!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I think the MP3 is very attractively priced concidering its power output. But I would still sway towards the XR5 as its just plain HOT. I dont really mind the megane 225 i got eaten buy one lol, but i think not many people are fond of it. I think the MP3 is gonna crap on everything else hot hatch because there is alo more on offer. Ford need to stop hiding behind the Territory + Falcons for sales and start making an impact on the small car market. They need to bring in more XR5s to accomidate demand or peeps will move on to something else.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

190kw through FWD... no thanks...

Id have an XR5 over the Mazda..
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Might have more power but still looks ****.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Look's allright but the XR5 look's better IMO, I'd wait for the XR5 if I had to.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Ford need to stop hiding behind the Territory + Falcons for sales and start making an impact on the small car market.
I totally agree with ya.
Ford has spent too much money on the XR program.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait for the Focus RS. The ST is a warm hatch while the RS is a hot hatch.

To those people complain that ford arn't bringin in enough ST's its now Ford Australias choice. There simply isn't enough capacity to build the ST. There is 1 Factory in germany building these and it has to supply the whole world. The plant is at economic capacity.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
The ST is a warm hatch
:

Your joking right?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 05-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

As I posted on another forum. My TOP 5 HOT HATCHES are;

OK, well here is my list. Being 19, size isn't everything but price is more sensitive obviously...

1. RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup. I just had to get this whilst I'm young. Size for a family isn't all that important, and I love the rawness of it! Not only that, but the ability to keep up to a lot of cars out there, and sometimes surprise people at the lights. Nothing beats that! Not only that, but all the features you get also - I get partial leather/alcantra, climate control and cruise control. Not only that, but expensive Xenon headlights and other mod-cons. Couldn't have asked for anything more!

2. Ford Focus XR5T. Althought I doubt it would be as much fun as the 182, I'm willing to accept that for the added space, and nice styling that comes with it. Not only that... but from personal experience the sound of the engine is something no other car (bar the Volvo) can match! Oh, and being a Ford I doubt service would be too expensive also.

3. RenaultSport Megane 225 Turbo F1 Cup. Finally here in Australia! I love the upgraded phase II styling, as it looks much better executed. But on a more important note, only 30 coming to Australia! How rare would that be, considering I don't see many of the XR5Ts, and surely we have more then 30 in Australia already! Just think, Xenons, Climate Control, LE colour, Brembos.... and maybe some Renault Quirks too! I personally like the rear ****... it looks great when tackling the corners too!

4. Volkswagen Golf GTI Call me an Inner West Yuppie... but something about the elegant yet sporty styling about the Golf GTI makes me want it. Of course it would be in Manual though. Although expensive, you have to remember you drive a VW. I guess I'm just materialistic. I guess that is why I drive a RenaultSport instead of a Honda Civic or Barina like all the other 19 year olds.

5. Volkswagen Golf R32 - see VW promotion @ www.golfr32.com.au Of course, this would have to be when I finish my degree and can earn a little more $$$. I'd love to own one of these. A debate has started on the ozrenaultsport site I frequent about the R32, as some would rather an Evo9. Sure, I'd love an Evo9 as a second car. But for work, and for transporting clients around, as well as for getting to appointments, I'd rather arrive in the style of the Golf R32

As for the MPS and VXR - Lets just say they don't look right to me. The VXR looks great, but from what I've heard about their handling it just wouldn't be that enjoyable. The MPS, well they have tried too hard to make the outside look hot, and to me it just doesn't. In my opinion, a Hot Hatch must either look subdued (like my Clio or the Golf GTi) or look overt and out there, like the Megane, XR5T, R32 etc. Not only that, but I wouldn't pay $50,000 on the road for a Mazda3. Just sounds wrong IMO

Old 05-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
amlohac

I have sat in the new mazda 3mps, its bloody nice. They had one parked out the front of the mazda dealer here in albury. It was black, and very very dirty (guessing is a promo car) but still one of the nicest cars i have seen.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
amlohac

Oh but xr5t still a bucket load cheaper, so for me thats what id go for, cos i could actually sort of afford it.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
Talldude

190kw????

man the astra vxsr is said to have too many kws and it has 175kw (give or take one or two).

forget driving it in the rain!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #16
Nappa
Impressive...

190kws is a lot, i think that the mazda 3 is starting to look old and its quirky asian looks have lost their novelty, and we all know that no one does a hot hatch like the Europeans.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget the 3 MPS has a torque sensing LSD which should help it put the power down (as well as the traction control and stability control.) A decent chassis set up can make all the difference in getting the power down too.

It should be a rocket given people are getting mid 15 second quarters out of the normal SP23!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
One thing you can say about the XR5 is that it would be 5 grand cheaper and probably has more torque

The Mazda has 380 nm Vs 320 nm for the XR5, so a MPS is basically on par with a BF Falcon as far as power/torque go.

I think the Focus is great, but I'd go for the MPS as it has cruise control :togo:
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #19
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

The Mazda has 380 nm Vs 320 nm for the XR5, so a MPS is basically on par with a BF Falcon as far as power/torque go.

I think the Focus is great, but I'd go for the MPS as it has cruise control :togo:
Thanks for that, I cbf'ed looking for the Nm figures.

And I agree with the Cruise Control statement.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #20
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Call me biased.

I'd much rather this;

The Worlds Ugliest Car thread is in the Pub :
Old 06-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #21
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wait for the Focus RS. The ST is a warm hatch while the RS is a hot hatch.
ST is warm hatch my a r s e

Why would you wait for a RS that probably will never come.

I'm so sick of people that say, wait for this & wait for that. Just deal with the hear & now, the ST/XR5 is here, the MPS is here, they are competitors so deal with it :
Old 06-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Is this the new model with direct injection?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Sure, the XR5T doesn't have the cruise control, but some have already got it as an aftermarket accessory. I'd much rather the look of the XR5T, although I do believe the dash of the MPS3 is much classier. A XR5T with leather would be the sweetest riding Hot Hatch IMO. Especially in Orange...

The MPS's alloys look pathetic, and me being me, I'm not into getting after market rims for cars, so I think Mazda screwed up there. Plus, the twin exhausts of the XR5T are sweet, as is the unique sounding engine.

Magpie - I Guess we have personal tastes. I hate the WRX you have pictured in your avatar. The new one is much better executed. Of course, that's only my opinion.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Is this the new model with direct injection?
:
Quote:
Boasting a 6-speed manual transmission and a turbocharged 2.3-litre Direct Injection Spark Ignition 4 cylinder engine with a targeted maximum displacement of 190kW of power and 380Nm of torque, this pocket-rocket is capable of 0 to 100 km/h in 6.1 seconds.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #25
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sure, the XR5T doesn't have the cruise control, but some have already got it as an aftermarket accessory. I'd much rather the look of the XR5T, although I do believe the dash of the MPS3 is much classier. A XR5T with leather would be the sweetest riding Hot Hatch IMO. Especially in Orange...

The MPS's alloys look pathetic, and me being me, I'm not into getting after market rims for cars, so I think Mazda screwed up there. Plus, the twin exhausts of the XR5T are sweet, as is the unique sounding engine.

Magpie - I Guess we have personal tastes. I hate the WRX you have pictured in your avatar. The new one is much better executed. Of course, that's only my opinion.
I agree with you on the wheels of the MPS, although I dislike the XR5 wheels also, and yep the exhaust looks & sounds great :

As for cruise, big mistake imo :

It's easier to get new wheels than cc, and lots of people change the wheels anyway :

And the fact that I think Renaults are the ugliest cars this side of a Fiat Multipla is purely my opinion _
Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
I agree with you on the wheels of the MPS, although I dislike the XR5 wheels also, and yep the exhaust looks & sounds great :

As for cruise, big mistake imo :

It's easier to get new wheels than cc, and lots of people change the wheels anyway :

And the fact that I think Renaults are the ugliest cars this side of a Fiat Multipla is purely my opinion _
Yep... but the XR5T looks way better overall. Bodykit doesn't look like an afterthought either.

I guess Cruise Control is important to some people, not all though. I do inner city driving 98% of the time. I rarely use cruise control, although I do have it!

True though, and I understand where you are coming from. As long as they don't go with heavyweight chrome rims!

Yep, your opionion. Never said I hated every WRX, or that the design would be the only thing that would get me into the car. I've been in a heavily modified Wrx STI (same model as your picture) and it was dangerously quick, but a hell of fun too! Totally took me by surprise... Then again it did have an imported engine (2.5L i think?)

Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #27
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
:

Your joking right?
Look at the whole sentence not just segments ****er
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
I did. You called the ST a Warm Hatch, and the RS (not even confirmed, released or anything) a Hot Hatch.

I do think the XR5T is recognised as a Hot Hatch, in Australia and the rest of the world.

Didn't call you a ****er either :

Old 07-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #29
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion about the original thread topic, keep your foul mouth to yourself !
Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #30
FRA
Mr Focus

You can have your say man but lets keep it friendly.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post