Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
WASP
Whipple Induced

Default MOTOR Mag's XR5 vs HSV

Just quickly reviewed the article in the latest MOTOR mag.

I haven't got all the details, but what caught my immediate attention was the performance figures for these two cars.:

Focus XR5 0-100 5.6 sec and 0-400m in 13.5 sec !! RRP $35k
HSV Astra 0-100 5.4 sec and 0-400m in 13.4 sec !! RRP $43k

Both those cars are QUICK!! The mag gave the nod to the HSV (not surprising really when considering the price difference).

Old 13-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Just quickly reviewed the article in the latest MOTOR mag.

I haven't got all the details, but what caught my immediate attention was the performance figures for these two cars.:

Focus XR5 0-100 5.6 sec and 0-400m in 13.5 sec !! RRP $35k
HSV Astra 0-100 5.4 sec and 0-400m in 13.4 sec !! RRP $43k

Both those cars are QUICK!! The mag gave the nod to the HSV (not surprising really when considering the price difference).
I just read it too an thought it was weird. On the page before they quote those figures, they say the best times for those cars were 14.75astra and 15.3XR5. Pretty slow i thought. They also pretty much handed all medals to the astra and wernt very impressed with the XR5 wich is weird *** all the comparos ive read and watched state the XR5 as a much better car. So that leaves me confused. In one comparo i saw them drive the XR5 in the wet at 60, turn in hard an they had the thing up on 3 wheels with out loosing it. Ahhh well... :alien2:
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Yeah those times aren't actually for the XR5 or HSV. They are for the Z4 M Roadster and AMG SLK55.
But to me, the XR5's real comparison is against the Astra Turbo, not the HSV VXR. Firstly, the and FPV version would be a more likely opponent. Secondly, Astra's numbers are closer to the XR5's, and $$ wise, the Astra Turbo and XR5 are very close? Thats just my opinion though.....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
I just read it too an thought it was weird. On the page before they quote those figures, they say the best times for those cars were 14.75astra and 15.3XR5. Pretty slow i thought. They also pretty much handed all medals to the astra and wernt very impressed with the XR5 wich is weird *** all the comparos ive read and watched state the XR5 as a much better car. So that leaves me confused. In one comparo i saw them drive the XR5 in the wet at 60, turn in hard an they had the thing up on 3 wheels with out loosing it. Ahhh well... :alien2:
Now those figures make more sense..lol Bloody mag!! I was blown away there for a second! I too was surprised of their opinion of the XR5 vs Astra. Not consistant at all with all other reports, unless the SRi Turbo is a much worse package than the HSV offering. On the car show it was quite obvious that the XR5 was a much better package than the Holden performance wise.
Old 14-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
amlohac

Yes but the car show is a crap show, that "comparo" (if you cant even call it that) that they did was the worst ever. Id trust wheels over them. But like ive stated before, id still go for the xr5t cos of the $$$.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Uni

comparing the VRX to the XR5 is like comparing the Clubsport R8 to the XR8. From what i read, it seemed there was a bees dick in it between the two, so i imagine the FPV fettled XR5 will absolutely munch the VRX... if it ever happens

*prays to the ford gods* :

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post