Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
morbo

Default Swapping WQ LX for a 2010 Suzuki Swift

In six or so months, i may be in a position to get buy a cheap Suzuki Swift. Don't know what the exact model it would be, but it would be a 2010 model with approximately 6,000 kms on the clock (with 2 1/2 years new car warranty).

The cost of buying the swift is roughly the same price i might be able to sell my 2007 Ford Fiesta WQ LX auto. Maybe they'd be a minor out of pocket costs of 1-2k.

The question is, should I bother? I remember driving the Suzuki (when deciding to get the Fiesta in 07) and was pretty happy with it. I went with the Fiesta in the end because i was able to get a better deal.

I know the swift won't drive as well as the fiesta. But for a minimal outlay, i'd be getting a brand new car with another 2.5 years of new car warranty.

What would you guys do?

morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd take the Swift.

It's 3 years newer than the Fiesta with only has 6k on the clock, they both have about the same performance (around 78kw?), the Swift will also have a higher resale value and due to being newer will ultimately be more reliable and cost less in repairs ... what's to think about?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tough call. My aunty has a Swift and I like it lots, the space inside is a lot more usable because of the handy storage compartments not to mention they look tops. A few things though, the interior quality is IMHO on par with the WP Fiesta, so it's not that great. Lots of cheap, hard plastics around you, no soft touch, all very brittle feeling. For this reason the Fiesta feels more solid, though I've seen some smashed Swift models, and wow they hold up well! The Swift doesn't handle as well, but surprisingly my MK7 rides better than my aunts 15 inch Swift? Resale is definitly all for the Swift, but there is one little point there...

The all new Swift will be launched within the next year. Your resale will drop as there will be plenty of people updating and the Swift market will be flooded with older models. The new model looks similar, but a lot fresher and will be built very well. Much more modern inside (looks very Fiesta/Gen2/Yaris) and the outside looks more European. I say if you want to Swift, then wait. I'm still betting the Fiesta will be a more rounded package though, GO THE FIESTA! The MK7 is WONDERFUL
Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
morbo

well the thing is that i am pretty sure i'm able to buy the car for about $10k. so i guess it really depends on how much my fiesta is worth. its only a wq lx auto, bought early 2007, and has travelled 39,500 kms. so far i've had a quick look at the 2nd hand prices, and some people are asking asking for more than 10k, some people are asking for less. hopefully i'm thinking i'll be able to see it for roughly the same price so i dont have to pay a huge difference.

from a purely numbers level, the suzuki does make sense. it is newer, i will have new car warranty, and robjh80 has said, its ultimately more reliable and cheaper to run. heartwise, i am not so sure i still like the fez - but then, these are a-b cars, so seriously i should be focusing over the long term costs rather than my preference. i dunno.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe motoring is different for you, but I drive from A-B and then to C and all the way to Z through Y. The Fiesta does this with enthusiasm, and brings a smile to my face at every corner. My WP Fiesta was a heart decision, and I'll never regret it. But everyone is different. Sometimes though you need to think financially, and a newish Swift for 10 G is a bloody tempting deal mate. It's not going to drop too much more if you look after it. Go for it I reckon, at the end of the day it's your money and your choice. Just make sure your happy with it
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my sister has a swift as well... i dont really like the dash much. but as a car its been reliable and efficient....

if it only costs you rego and insurance to get into a newer car with a warranty, and thats what your after....... then i'd jump at it.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Kryton

The Swift is a very good car and should hold its resale reasonably well due to its popularity.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
morbo

thanks y'all. will be getting a pascal coloured swift next week to drive for a couple of days just to see whether i like swifts. Oh the pascal coloured swift is NOT the swift ill be getting.