Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Skip School and be denied your L's

Interesting article I just found on news.com.au which I thought I would share for some opinions and discussion here.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...87-421,00.html
Quote:
TASMANIAN students who skip school could soon face more than lunchtime detention under a Liberals plan.

Liberal leader Will Hodgman wants to stop students with bad school records getting their driver's licence for up to two years.
I can sort of see where they're coming from in the whole "if they don't respect the school rules there's a good chance they won't respect the road rules" kind of mindset, but at the same time it might be a disadvantage to certain students who have genuine difficulties at school?

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In that the average kid around gets mum to drive them everywhere until they are about 30 it may not make a lot of difference......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I don't follow your logic with that post I'm sorry?

I'm 29, and only one of my friends around my age has never got a licence. The only time lately I've had to get my mum to drive me anywhere was when I sprained my right ankle pretty badly and couldn't drive myself to the doctor to get it checked.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In that the average kid around gets mum to drive them everywhere until they are about 30 it may not make a lot of difference......

Thats a bit off the mark...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm deep into my 30's and if I go anywhere with my parents my dad drives, because he's the best driver, just ask him
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

ignore the troll

I think it's a good idea.
Old 20-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Five replies and yet to see something on topic..... :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
stera

I think its a great idea!

I grew up in the country tho, and country schools are far, far different to their city counterparts!!

These days, the kids would probably drive anyway, go to court and would get off with $5 a week fine repayments as they are on Mr. Rudd's surfing team!
stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I don't follow your logic with that post I'm sorry?

I'm 29, and only one of my friends around my age has never got a licence. The only time lately I've had to get my mum to drive me anywhere was when I sprained my right ankle pretty badly and couldn't drive myself to the doctor to get it checked.
Many, many of the young (17-20+) year olds who apply for jobs with myself and others I know do not have a license or even a learners permit.
The most common reason given for this is "I don't need one yet" and they are normally dropped off and picked up by their mums.
Most of my step daughter's friends (19) do not have their Ps yet, several do not have Ls and she only got hers a couple of months ago.
Old 20-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Springfield_Johny

Maybe its also an idea to keep the kids in school, instead of dropping out, becoming dole blugers and/or single parents (or otherwise a drain on society). Although I think consideration should be given to kids wanting to leave school to take up an apprenticeship or trainee ship.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I would like to see the evidence that states that when the individual turns 18 he has a sudden realisation and becomes a responsible driver.....

Sounds like a good idea...but i think i would have had a different view when i was at school....Naaaah... i would have to see concreat evidence that this would work before backing it otherwise i would be a hypocrite.... going of what some place in the US does, does not convince me...take your guns to church anyone???

....took my fair share of "sickies" to go fishing....aaahhhh great memories, let those that have not wagged school cast the first stone..... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 20-07-2009 at 07:25 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Many, many of the young (17-20+) year olds who apply for jobs with myself and others I know do not have a license or even a learners permit.
The most common reason given for this is "I don't need one yet" and they are normally dropped off and picked up by their mums.
Most of my step daughter's friends (19) do not have their Ps yet, several do not have Ls and she only got hers a couple of months ago.
Well it's proberly a lot different these days as you have said. It would be a lot to do with the cost of gaining a licence these days that would not help and therefore some would maybe put it off for a few years. No log books and the sort when I done my licence and after driving a car 6 times, twice being the driving school car, i gained my P's and only had to hold them for one yer before getting my open licence.

As for a responce to the original thread, if the above was true, then it would make more sence to make them hold their L's longer and have a higher required number of logbook hours. That will make the little truinits go to skool to get un egemacation and lean sum reseponsibilty. :hihi:
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
hame
Banned

Perhaps kids don't bother getting a licence because they figure the govt will just find more ways of taking it back off them as soon as that p plate goes on the car.
hame is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandjus
Maybe its also an idea to keep the kids in school, instead of dropping out, becoming dole blugers and/or single parents (or otherwise a drain on society). Although I think consideration should be given to kids wanting to leave school to take up an apprenticeship or trainee ship.
I find this very offensive. Im 18, dropped out after grade 10, I now have:
Company car, take home car, basically unlimited personal use.
Company phone, same as above
Company laptop, same as above.
Lunch paid for most days
Plenty and plenty of benefits including free use of the apartment, free dinners on occasions, blah blah blah.
And I sit around for probably 5 out of the 8 hours on here all day
Yet most of "the smart ones" still dont have a job or work at maccas and drive old 80's commadoores compared to my xr. Next time you should choose your words more carefully mate.
This seems like a good idea on the outside but I'm sure a lot of kids will be dis advantaged. The threshold would have to be 150 days absent or something otherwise funerals, weddings, sick days, etc could put it over the limit.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by B mobile
Well it's proberly a lot different these days as you have said. It would be a lot to do with the cost of gaining a licence these days that would not help and therefore some would maybe put it off for a few years. No log books and the sort when I done my licence and after driving a car 6 times, twice being the driving school car, i gained my P's and only had to hold them for one yer before getting my open licence.

As for a responce to the original thread, if the above was true, then it would make more sence to make them hold their L's longer and have a higher required number of logbook hours. That will make the little truinits go to skool to get un egemacation and lean sum reseponsibilty. :hihi:
Yes but what is the point of taking away something they don't want or even care about.

How about preventing them from going to pubs and clubs for a couple of years?

Or how about this idea.

FAIL THEM.

Now I am fairly confident that a number of members are not aware that there was once a time when if you did not pass a test you were failed, not just allowed to sit for easier and easier ones until you finally passed just so your self esteem was not hurt.

It is a stupid idea to try and force people to attend school by threatening something like this. If they are over 15 they do not have to attend school by law and if they are under 15 and skipping school they are unlikely to care about something that is so far in the future for them.
Old 20-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
I find this very offensive. Im 18, dropped out after grade 10, I now have:
Company car, take home car, basically unlimited personal use.
Company phone, same as above
Company laptop, same as above.
Lunch paid for most days
Plenty and plenty of benefits including free use of the apartment, free dinners on occasions, blah blah blah.
And I sit around for probably 5 out of the 8 hours on here all day
Yet most of "the smart ones" still dont have a job or work at maccas and drive old 80's commadoores compared to my xr. Next time you should choose your words more carefully mate.
Bloody Hell, Tony Mockbel's recruiting in Tasmania :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Dont take offence, all in good humor!

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Yes but what is the point of taking away something they don't want or even care about.

How about preventing them from going to pubs and clubs for a couple of years?

Or how about this idea.

FAIL THEM.

Now I am fairly confident that a number of members are not aware that there was once a time when if you did not pass a test you were failed, not just allowed to sit for easier and easier ones until you finally passed just so your self esteem was not hurt.

It is a stupid idea to try and force people to attend school by threatening something like this. If they are over 15 they do not have to attend school by law and if they are under 15 and skipping school they are unlikely to care about something that is so far in the future for them.
So many kids are simply given sooooo much stuff without any effort that they have absolutely no idea of the value of a dollar. They've grown up in times of unprecedented prosperity and access to goods and technology. They've been given it all and not had to earn any of it.

Also:

The "rights" given to children have outstripped those the parents have. See the show the other night, the 14 year old girl in QLD who'd been absent from school for nine months? Mum was powerless, or at least felt that way.

The mum should be able to put a boot up the butt of that kid and be praised for getting her back on track.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL

You think a grade 12 graduate is more likely to get a job?

With this logic there would be no trades (who wants to swing bricks after they finish grade 12 and all their mates are going to uni?) except sparkies of course, as they need grade 12 (to get that 'holier than thou' attitude i think : ) there will be no-one flipping your burgers or cleaning your cars for minimum wage.

A better solution would be to send all dole bludgers/single parents for nation service, or to be shot....either way.

No, schooling is BS. The education system is a joke.

People (in general) seem to forget that 17 - 25 year olds do more than sit on the dole, have kids and hoon around the streets killing each other.....and everyone else. You forget they also vote labour (both state and federal) think the world owes them everything, that their invincible and also that they know everything.

I do question the logic of people not getting their licenses. It seems very alien to me. Maybe people truely have given up on life? This emo culture finally has hit home or something. (make me wonder what all these emo buggers will do in 20 years time when they really have something to be depressed about....you no.....life/bills/tax/kids/fees/politics/not putting a gun to your head/parents in law. you no. all the fun stuff that makes us all happy to be adults.....side note also many of us are happy alcoholics.

:

Right then.

This sounds like a dumb idea.

Surely you punish them after they get their licenses by not letting them drive?

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

another typical action that has a negative affect, and it doesn't even have anything to do with driving.

like to see this one work, and if it does this country has something wrong with it...

...ohh please government, suspend my license for crossing the road incorrectly

sigh..

enough laws, enough crap, i need a beer.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
LOL

You think a grade 12 graduate is more likely to get a job?

With this logic there would be no trades (who wants to swing bricks after they finish grade 12 and all their mates are going to uni?) except sparkies of course, as they need grade 12 (to get that 'holier than thou' attitude i think : ) there will be no-one flipping your burgers or cleaning your cars for minimum wage.

A better solution would be to send all dole bludgers/single parents for nation service, or to be shot....either way.

No, schooling is BS. The education system is a joke.

People (in general) seem to forget that 17 - 25 year olds do more than sit on the dole, have kids and hoon around the streets killing each other.....and everyone else. You forget they also vote labour (both state and federal) think the world owes them everything, that their invincible and also that they know everything.

I do question the logic of people not getting their licenses. It seems very alien to me. Maybe people truely have given up on life? This emo culture finally has hit home or something. (make me wonder what all these emo buggers will do in 20 years time when they really have something to be depressed about....you no.....life/bills/tax/kids/fees/politics/not putting a gun to your head/parents in law. you no. all the fun stuff that makes us all happy to be adults.....side note also many of us are happy alcoholics.

:

Right then.

This sounds like a dumb idea.

Surely you punish them after they get their licenses by not letting them drive?
Yeah because surely we ALL (17-25 year olds) do that dont we? The reason why they dont do it after you get your license is because by the time most people get the hours and pass the test theyre out of school anyway. This is killing 2 birds with one stone, prove you are responsible and mature before you're allowed on the road.
The reason I agree with this law is the people who used to wag school every 2nd day were total drop kicks and the exact sort of person that would street race and kill themselves as soon as they got their license and their holden.
Old 20-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
I find this very offensive. Im 18, dropped out after grade

asdgadfghsfgjdgj

Yet most of "the smart ones" still dont have a job or work at maccas

i resent that.

I'm 21, been to uni, have a degree and did my honours. But i still work at maccas.

why? there aint no jobs going to get one. so instead, ill work as a mcmanager, and do a bit of additional work for maccas on the side in my field.

times are tough for young people looking for jobs. sounds like you just got lucky mate.
Old 20-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i resent that.

I'm 21, been to uni, have a degree and did my honours. But i still work at maccas.

why? there aint no jobs going to get one. so instead, ill work as a mcmanager, and do a bit of additional work for maccas on the side in my field.

times are tough for young people looking for jobs. sounds like you just got lucky mate.
No, your situation is totally different to what I was referring to, I mean the same job theyve had since 14 flipping burgers for 2 or 3 hours a day because theyre too lazy to work a full day or get a proper job which doesnt matter because they dont need to pay bills. I know plenty of people who did it tough with woolies/maccas/kfc while doing degrees and training thats a different story. I did get lucky, but I worked a lot of totally jobs for a long time too.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i resent that.

Nothing wrong with being a McManager. The management and procedural skills you pick there will help you immensely for the rest of your life and make you much more employable. (hang on, I thought maccas hated gun loonies )
Old 20-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
Kawasakirider

Quote:
Kind of strange that you mention that, Flappist.... I'm in Hervey bay and maryborough a lot and there aren't anywhere near as many young drivers around as the sunshine coast.... I'm 17 and mum's only driven me anywhere if I've been sick since I've had my learners.... Couldn't wait to get my license.
Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #25
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
(hang on, I thought maccas hated gun loonies )
Only when they’re customers. :hihi:
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

This is ironic for me. I skipped a bunch of lessons to take drivers lessons. Lies like "I have free periods" worked well. And I skipped final exams of year ten to look at a car...cough...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #27
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Not wanting to turn this political but, I think it's time all respective State and Federal Government's concentrated on the big issues and stopped trying to treat Joe Public as a moron.

People have choices and we shall always have the low elements of society that will drop out or do low paid work, i fail to see why others should be penalised along with them, some school Truants may have good reasons such as home violence, sick relatives or a single parent who needs help with the younger siblings or even money !

The blanket laws are turning us into the Nanny country and we seem to be letting it happen. :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #28
fraserc

Quote:
Maybe its also an idea to keep the kids in school, instead of dropping out, becoming dole blugers and/or single parents (or otherwise a drain on society).
utter stereotypical BS, 'nuff said.

This is simply just another bandaid for the broken leg solution in stopping 'hoon' like behaviour. Clearly they are attempting to throw cheap solutions at the problem and hope it will go away and then, only then may it strike them, "maybe we should actually invest in getting young drivers properly trained?"

- Increasing the length of having a provisional licence and speeding restrictions just revs teenagers up and when they finally get their full licence they are inexperienced and can't handle a car at speed, or at all.

- Increasing learner logbook hours encourages more people to forge hours

- Restricting vehicles makes them more desirable...pretty obvious that one.

- limiting passenger restrictions after 11pm. If i'm driving i'm not gonna get, for lack of a better word, smashed, but most likely my mates are. I'd rather having 1 car full of teens than 5 cars with drunk kids in them. Designated drivers are a good thing...

- Forced age restriction for bad students, cmon. Sure the government thinks that it'll encourage them to attempt to achieve more in school and when they get their licence they'll be more mature...

but half of them couldn't care less, some have genuine reasons for such behaviour, and others who may leave school at the end of year ten (having been forced to wait until 18 for their learners) may need a car for an apprenticeship/work which is what keeps the economy running and provides them with an income. And saying bad students are bad drivers is just too stereotypical, kids who stick with school can easily be hoons too.

What you need, or the government needs to do is actually invest (have they heard this word before?) in driver training programs, get people to learn how to handle a car and deal with emergency situations...and MAKE THIS COMPULSORY. I did one practice test, walked into the RTA and passed my learner's, for my P's I drove around and did a reverse parallel park, this doesn't show me how to handle a car and was stupidly easy, no wonder there are so many crashes.

Making rules limiting Learner and P platers just encourages them to break them, teaching them how to handle a car emergency situations in my opinion would greatly reduce crashes because lets face it, most of them are going to speed/race in their sooped up 4 banger with third party insurance and most likely not roadworthy. No matter how many vehicles are banned, people are still going to try and race the "legal" ones, whether they be in an XR8 or a hyundai excel.

Honestly, the accident rate for P platers has clearly gone through the roof even after they've banned all the high performance cars, increased the required learner hours/time on P's, made BAC levels 0 and limited the amount of underaged passengers..which...funnily enough...are all cheap solutions..what does this say?

Sum it up, increase driver awareness through theoretical and practical means, make this compulsory. Teach people how to handle and control their car rather than punish them because of a few tossers and the road will be a safer place and less of a clean-up task for the ambo's.

Just my thoughts. /rant
fraserc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #29
GeoNazi
Banned

this is bogas... who didn't skip school once or twice.. fair enough if you don't go outright but not few once or twice a month.
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #30
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am with frazmann.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post