Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
Tripe

Question Focus spark plug gap

Hi all

What spark plug gap does Ford recommend for the Focus, is it 1.3 or 1.0?

The reason I ask is that an ignition expert advised me that NGK, Denso etc have reduced the Focus spark plug gap from 1.3 to 1.0 and I'm just wondering what could result from this slight change?

I know Ford recommends a gap of 1.3 on the Fiesta, so I was also advised to try reducing the gap to 1.0 to try and fix a rough idle (the ignition expert says 1.3 is too high). But the Fiesta has a high 11:1 compression ratio - does this affect anything?

Just need some opinions before I decide to get my sexy fingers in there! :

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

1.0mm for the Zetec, 1.3mm for the Duratec.

The compression on both engines is 10.0:1, for info also.

You can try changing the gap, my plugs crept a bit wide and I brought them back in tolerance and my engine ran alot better. You can always move them back out if it runs worse, but handbook setting is usually the best option - it's in there for a reason. No harm in playing though.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

The Focus Owners Manual (Mark 1) specifies a 1.0mm gap for the 1.8 Zetec-E 91 RON engine, the 2.0 Zetec-E 91 RON engine, and the 2.0 Zetec-E 95 RON engine.

The 2.0 Duratec ST 95 RON engine specifies a 1.3 mm gap.

It sounds as though the NGK and Denso specs varied from Ford's, and now they have brought them into line.

Can't help you with the Fiesta
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Sorry Timmeh. You posted while I was typing!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post