Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Default Oil & Filter change question

My LX has almost hit 6000kms and past habits have told me 6000kms are the oil change intervals. I find the 15,000kms recommended by the manufacturer difficult to trust so I was just wondering what brand and grade of oil do others suggest. I might do the filter too.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

It should say in your user manual what the recommended oil rating is.

The filter can only be purchased from Ford.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Check the manual for the right grade, but I am a huge Mobil1 fan. If you care for your car, use a synthetic.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
My LX has almost hit 6000kms and past habits have told me 6000kms are the oil change intervals. I find the 15,000kms recommended by the manufacturer difficult to trust so I was just wondering what brand and grade of oil do others suggest. I might do the filter too.
Ford recommends 5W-30 (as per service manual).

Castrol Edge is a fully synthetic that meets that.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
kenny21
This is really me :)

castrol is usually pretty good im not sure bout this new edge stuff but i definetly know the old stuff was one of the better oils on the market.

Extremist u dont need to get the oil filter from ford u can get one from places like supercheap and auto 1 and stuff
kenny21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Castrol Edge = Good

currently running it in my car and going great, been to qld and back too
Old 15-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
mixo

isnt it still under warranty?????

The only thing i would change is the brakes, usually not covered by warranty...

Does anyone know what ford charges for 15,000 kays service?

mixo
mixo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My recent 15,000 Km service cost $330

but that included new wiper inserts AND a wash / detail

The intermediate services have cost me $110 ea just for oil and filter

Pricey eh?

When it's out of warranty I will do the service myself - if I'm not off fishing.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
mixo

330 hey...well i will be doing the oil changes when the warranty is up as well.But I wont let them do a wash or detail, thats for sure.I can wash and detail better than they can.

mixo
Old 16-01-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny21
Extremist u dont need to get the oil filter from ford u can get one from places like supercheap and auto 1 and stuff
I've been to SuperCheapAuto and PepsAutoSpares and they both dont have a listing of the new focus, but they do of the old focus.

A quality oil filter from SuperCheapAuto or PepsAutoSpares will set you back ~$20.

They're $15 from Ford, and the brand is MotorCraft.
Old 16-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixo
isnt it still under warranty?????

The only thing i would change is the brakes, usually not covered by warranty...

Does anyone know what ford charges for 15,000 kays service?

mixo
Yes, but for my own peace of mind and long term health of the engine, I'd rather change the oil at 6k, especially with stop/start driving. With the amount of driving I do, 15,000k might not clock over for another year.

You're not saying changing the oil & filter by myself now will affect the warranty right?
Old 16-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #12
mixo

I dont think you would, but you know the dealer would like any exuse not to cover a problem.I assume if you use ford parts, then you would be in the clear, off course they would say you should have done it at the dealer anyway....

mixo
Old 16-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

The warranties on new vehicles are based on using oil that meets the specific API service classification and SAE viscosity grade.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

eXtremist is 100% correct.

Stick to the standard Oil used in the Focus and recommended by Ford for compliance with viscosity and API number (http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/API.html). I can't remember the part number, maybe R1 310 5L - help anyone? Should be in your Service and Warranty Guide.

You'll never have a problem running at 15,000km intervals, but if you change it more regularly even using the standard oil, you'll be potentially even better off I guess. The oil satisfies all engineering requirements of the manufacturer and is designed to be good for your car!

Interestingly, fully synthetic oil is actually recommended by those that deal with it to be used about every 15,000km+ from what I've read (I'm not an expert) so using fully synthetic every 6,000 is most likely overkill and an expensive waste of money based on that theory when the regular Ford oil does a perfect job.

Fully synthetic the much lauded laboratory refined uniform particle size, but it can actually be harmful to older engines as its smaller particle size can cause it to leak out of older seals, something that mineral oil doesn't do as easily due to larger oil particles/molecules. It's best recommended for newer vehicles, which of course this is, but still overkill unless you're really keen in my opinion.

The oil filter you will need is Part number AFL4 - think "F for Four, F for Focus". Available through any Ford Dealer and perfect for the job, designed specifically for the car.

Hope this all helps.
Old 17-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #15
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
eXtremist is 100% correct.

Stick to the standard Oil used in the Focus and recommended by Ford for compliance with viscosity and API number (http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/API.html). I can't remember the part number, maybe R1 310 5L - help anyone? Should be in your Service and Warranty Guide.
Is this only obtainable through ford? (price?)
So we cant use other brands of the same weight?

I def wont be hanging round till the 15k service, will be changingn the oil in mine at 8-9k.
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Thanks for all the info guys
Old 17-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
Talldude

i just got my car tuned at ultra tune they say its best to change oil every 7,500k's!

they tryin to rip me off or could it be because of the oil they used?
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
mixo

Well doesnt it depend on how you drive your car on how long the service intervals should be???

Thats what it says in the manual.

I cant see ford saying 15,000 for "normal" driving and not sticking to it.I dont think they would want to be doing engine warranty claims!

But in the other hand an oil and filter change doesnt hurt (except your wallet)

I know from my commodore VL days , it loved an oil change, you could feel the difference!

mixo
Old 17-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I've always done Service intervals of 7,500 i.e. service it by the book and 7,500 later just the oil and oil filter change and if necessary the air/pollen filters as I don't do a lot of kilometres.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
amlohac

So is the oil that ford use a full syn or a mineral oil? Im assuming its a syn. oil, but i just want to be sure.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #21
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

amlohac, Ford use a Semi-Syn mineral oil

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #22
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:

I cant see ford saying 15,000 for "normal" driving and not sticking to it.I dont think they would want to be doing engine warranty claims!
longer service intervals does intice fleet car purchases
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #23
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Changed the oil in my Fez at 7k & it didn't look pretty. Don't know what it was but the Castrol Edge in there now looks much cleaner.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #24
vhhh
Starter Motor

Hi there,

I am new to the Focus and to this forum. As I was trying to change the motor oil myself but couldn't locate the oil drain plug, also the oil filter is very stiff (using a wrench). Could someone kind enough to share their oil change experience?

Pat
vhhh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #25
mixo

Talking of oil changes, my trolly jack cant get under the front of the focus or sides because its lowered!.Actually i find it to get under my ford xr6 as well, just misses on both cars.

Anyone got a tip on how to get around this as the trolly jack is so easy to use(if i could)

mixo
Old 18-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #26
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mixo drive onto a brick or paving slab to get a couple more cm's then push the jack under...

I used to do that on the rex...

and speaking of full synthetic oils on some engines they can cause problems. I've heard of wrx owners who have glazed up the cylinder bores by using the stuff. It can be too slipery or something.

just used the manufactrers recommended oil and keep it clean
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #27
mixo

Great Idea "More revs". I will give that a go!

If the car is under warranty I would use only ford parts, even if there are better things out there.This is only me, cos I dont trust dealers or ford to keep their warranty(any excuse to get our of it).This is only while the car is under warranty, once its gone, bye bye ford dealers...I would love to know how many people still take their cars to the dealer once the warranty is gone???

mixo
Old 18-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #28
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
mixo drive onto a brick or paving slab to get a couple more cm's then push the jack under...

I used to do that on the rex...

and speaking of full synthetic oils on some engines they can cause problems. I've heard of wrx owners who have glazed up the cylinder bores by using the stuff. It can be too slipery or something.

just used the manufacturers recommended oil and keep it clean
Be careful regarding these "stories" about synthetic oils. Before Castrol had synthetics, they were a major "source" of stories about leaks and glazing.

I once had a Mazda dealer tell me that Mobil1 can damage your engine. When I asked him where he had heard that, he had to think about it for a while, then admtted the Castrol rep had told him!

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of cylinder bore glazing with mineral oil... you just don't hear those stories, or hear if owners had put the correct grade of synthetic oil in their engines
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 12:56 AM   #29
kenny21

Quote:
Talking of oil changes, my trolly jack cant get under the front of the focus or sides because its lowered!.Actually i find it to get under my ford xr6 as well, just misses on both cars.

Anyone got a tip on how to get around this as the trolly jack is so easy to use(if i could)

mixo

Just drive the car up onto some timbers so therefor u get some extra clearance haha i have to do it with all ma cars
Old 19-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #30
kenny21

unless u spend $150 on a really good syn oil ur not gonna glaze the bores and unless u thrash the **** outa it, it aint gonna make much difference.

I always do a service every 10k, oil, oil filter, clean air filter and replace sparks at 20k and just always checking things just to make sure everything is in the right order.

With the race car we use mineral oil to run the rings in on the dyno when the engine is new and then change the oil the 10w60 castrol synthetic. Unless ur road car engine is done up and u use it to flog it there really no need to use a synthetic. Just use a good mineral oil cause it aint gonna make all that much difference unless the engine been modded and its also a lot cheaper on the poor back pocket as well haha.