Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Russian warships bearing down on Australia

Quote:
FIRST ON 7: Prime Minister Tony Abbott's threat to shirtfront Russian President Vladimir Putin is escalating dramatically.

7News can reveal a fleet of Russian warships is steaming towards Australia - a defiant show of force from the super power, ahead of this weekend's G20 meeting of world leaders.

In diplomatic terms, it's a worrying development for the Abbott Government after its attack on Russia's role in the downing of MH17.

Leaving China this morning, Tony Abbott had precious little to say about his exchanges with Vladimir Putin at APEC.

However, the Prime Minister likely already knew of a developing security issue that could take his problems with President Putin to a whole new level.

7News has been told four Russian warships are bearing down on Australian waters, led by the guided missile Cruiser, Varyag, the flag ship of Russia's Pacific fleet.

Also heading south is the destroyer, Marshal Shaposhnikov - it's not short of firepower either.

They are being supported by the salvage tug Fotiy Krylov and supply tanker Boris Butoma.

The task group is in the Coral Sea South of Bougainville and appear on course for waters off Australia's east coast.

All four could be sitting off Brisbane by Saturday, a prospect that has so stirred the government,

Defence has sent a P3 Orion Surveillance Aircraft to shadow the ships and an Anzac class frigate, HMAS Stuart to the Coral Sea.

"Defence is monitoring Russian naval vessels that are currently transiting through international waters to the north of Australia," the Defence Force said in a statement.

"The movements of these vessels in entirely consistent with provisions under international law for military vessels to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters."

"Questions regarding the vessels should be directed to Russian authorities."

Russian Navy ships Admiral Panteleyev, left, and Marshal Shaposhnikov, right, two anti-submarine ships with the Pacific Fleet, leave Vladivostok harbour in the Russian Far East, to head to the Indian Ocean. Photo: AP, file

7News political editor Mark Riley reported that the ships arrived with no official notice from Moscow but that Australian intelligence services picked them up some days ago.

Russian presidents have had naval vessels sitting offshore of international meetings a couple of times in the past but certainly not four - and not without official notice to the host country.

The timing is unmistakable; Brisbane's G20 this weekend. President Putin is a guest, though Australia has made few if any foreign leaders less welcome in the lead up to their visit.

A question now for the Abbott Government: might the Russian vessels seek a port visit? How would Australia respond?

Even in international waters off the Australian Coast, the ships are a headache for Prime Minister Abbott and right or wrong, will be read as a pointed comeback to the PM leading the charge in the MH17 case.

Prime Minister Abbott's office says his fifteen minute one-on-one with the Russian President yesterday directly tackled Russia's apparent links to the July MH17 atrocity - Abbott laying out intelligence that shows the missile launcher used to fire on the Malaysian passenger jet had been moved from Russian territory to Ukraine before the deadly strike.

But that got a swift response from the Russian embassy, its spokesman telling 7News the Kremlin "unconditionally refutes the accusation"

Suddenly the diplomatic temperature is rising ahead of Brisbane's G-20.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/25...-on-australia/

It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Russian warships bearing down on Australia

They should dock and let people check out the ship, $$$!
9 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people don't realise that Putin has some serioiusly big balls, he hasn't backed down much on the Ukraine situation when a lot of leaders would have with all the international pressure. He makes Obama look like a kitten playing with a ball of string.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Seriously what are they gonna do?
Cmon.

Russia deploys ships every time some Russian big knob is at some g220 crap or expo.
They like to flex some muscle.
Nothing new.

U reckon they'd have a chance if they even thought about starting something?
Some second hand old hornet or some crap vs a couple dozen stealths..... lmao

Yeah...righto.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
Cmon.

Russia deploys ships every time some Russian big knob is at some g220 crap or expo.
Nothing new.

Yeah...righto.
I doubt they would try anything, I don't think thats the point.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Cmon.

Nothing new.

Yeah...righto.
Ol' Vladdy is the world's most powerful man these days and their gear probably is better than we expect.

Mr Obama just had his senate torn out from underneath him a few days ago

Its not like they would do anything but it might quiet mr loud mouth I'm the king of the world (not me, the other one).
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Ruddy couldn’t stop the boat’s from coming and now Abbott can’t either,
Everybody want’s to bring their boat’s to Aussie land.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
I doubt they would try anything, I don't think thats the point.
What is the point then?
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a non event. Meanwhile the Chinese are buying the joint up left right and centre.

Last edited by Auslandau; 12-11-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Removed quote from above ....
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
They should dock and let people check out the ship, $$$!
in for this

would be cool as
7 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
What is the point then?
Putin's response to tony's shirt front threat!
Shirt front this mr prime minister of insignificant little country at *** of the world (spoken in Russian English accent of course)
Maybe they are going to Nuke the G20 and take over the world unless a ransom of '1 Million dollars' is paid (pick the movie quote)

JP
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Putin is ex- special forces?

He could probably kill Abbott with one hand.

Last edited by Auslandau; 12-11-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: not required
5 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Abbot should be sacked for saying what he said to Putin.

What would happen or could happen if Putin got harmed hear in Australia have you given any thought to that

What if he said such to the USA president.

Very poor show of Abbot, not worthy of a leader at all but just something some yobbo football player would say, I would think.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Putin is ex- special forces?

He could probably kill Abbott with one hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon
yess looks alot better without the stripes imo
His a legit Judo black belt. No jokes. Judok'as are tough guys. Just google Putin Judo.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ol' Vladdy is the world's most powerful man these days and their gear probably is better than we expect.

Mr Obama just had his senate torn out from underneath him a few days ago

Its not like they would do anything but it might quiet mr loud mouth I'm the king of the world (not me, the other one).

Russia may have been number two from 1945, but it wouldnt even make it in the top 5 military powers these days (barring the nuclear arsenal, that just about everyone has these days anyhow).

It makes alot of money from oil, gas, mineral exports, but even when prices were great (and they aint been too good lately), the government found it hard to pay the bills. It has a population that has shrunk 4% in the last 20 years, and is expected to decrease another 35%
in the next 35 years. A male life expectancy of just 65. Just look around your home, or anyone elses home, and see if anything comes from Russia.

Vlad has simply had to resort to what North Korea does, when no one is taking notice of it, flex its muscles.

Russia population 142 million, gdp is $2.1 trillion. Australia population 23 million, gdp is $1.6 trillion. The country can barely be classed as a first world country.

Last edited by bobthebilda; 12-11-2014 at 11:25 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
in for this

would be cool as
Me too, if they stopped at Melbourne I'd pay to have a look at their war ships
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Bordering on being closed. Keep your anti Abbot stuff to yourselves. Discuss the situation as it has above, but saying he should die etc aint on.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Just look around your home, or anyone elses home, and see if anything comes from Russia.
I'm looking around my house, I'm not seeing anything that comes from Russia but I'm also not seeing anything that comes from Australia either bro.

Russia might not be so powerful and mighty but Europe isn't saying no to their LPG thats keeping them warm in their winter
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
I'm looking around my house, I'm not seeing anything that comes from Russia but I'm also not seeing anything that comes from Australia either bro.
Vodka on the bar ........ and a few Falcons in the driveway?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Give em Tasmania
Old 12-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Russia might not be so powerful and mighty but Europe isn't saying no to their LPG thats keeping them warm in their winter
Well, when you consider a few posts ago you said Ol Vladdy is the most powerful man in the world these days, to now saying Russia might not be so powerful and mighty, then I guess by tomorrow all your Australian made stuff will reappear.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Well, when you consider a few posts ago you said Ol Vladdy is the most powerful man in the world these days, to now saying Russia might not be so powerful and mighty, then I guess by tomorrow all your Australian made stuff will reappear.
I reckon he is the most powerful man in the world, and given that I said Europe is relying on them for heating their houses would probably reinforce that.

If he isn't powerful then why is no one stepping in to help out Ukraine in its civil war? We went head first into Afghanistan, Iraq and now again in Iraq but no help for Ukraine, who gave up their nuclear weapons they scored from the collapse of the USSR on the basis the USA would help them or something in the 1990s.

What are we afraid of if they're so weak? Should be a pushover right? Go in there right on their border if they're easily dealt with.

I guess my EL Falcon is Australian, thats about it here for Australian made (and that was about 100 years ago in technology).

Here is some random article on the internet:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/vl...person-2014-11

Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #23
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just when i thought journalists couldn't get any less intelligent.

The leader of the country is coming here, of course he's going to have ships close by. Likewise the US when Obama goes to other countries.
This has nothing to do with what an insignifigant (in world terms) Aussie politician has to say about anything.

Next it'll be a big deal that he brought his own motorcade, so clearly we're at war with them now
Old 13-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #24
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Abbott thought he'd get a credability boost for saying hes going to shirt front Putin.

Im dissapointed in his actions as our leader. He should be able to identify what kind of charachter Putin is and know he wouldnt get him to admit to squat even if there was compelling evidence. Abbott is weak and Putin knows it. This is why you need a strong leader like beazley or Howard. Heck ild even take Rudd over Abbott.

There is a bit of a cold war starting up and for what reason i dont know. But the communist nations are seriously setting themselves up to challenge America and its allies.

Im looking to swap my chrome roll bars and soft tonneau with the cut outs on my GS ute for just the normal FG FPV soft tonneau cover. Basically i want to do away with the chome bars

Im from Perth so it would be easier if someone from Perth is willing as well. I will drive to you as well.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #25
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Just when i thought journalists couldn't get any less intelligent.

The leader of the country is coming here, of course he's going to have ships close by. Likewise the US when Obama goes to other countries.
This has nothing to do with what an insignifigant (in world terms) Aussie politician has to say about anything.

Next it'll be a big deal that he brought his own motorcade, so clearly we're at war with them now
This. You can pretty much guarantee on board those ships will be a special forces squad tasked with getting Putin out if anything went crazy.

Funny how the media puts a massive negative swing on things when it's 'the bad guy' but when it's the 'good guys' it's all gravy.

Ask anyone out at amberly air base what's going on out there...
5 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #26
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I reckon he is the most powerful man in the world, and given that I said Europe is relying on them for heating their houses would probably reinforce that.

If he isn't powerful then why is no one stepping in to help out Ukraine in its civil war? We went head first into Afghanistan, Iraq and now again in Iraq but no help for Ukraine, who gave up their nuclear weapons they scored from the collapse of the USSR on the basis the USA would help them or something in the 1990s.

What are we afraid of if they're so weak? Should be a pushover right? Go in there right on their border if they're easily dealt with.

I guess my EL Falcon is Australian, thats about it here for Australian made (and that was about 100 years ago in technology).

Here is some random article on the internet:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/vl...person-2014-11

You make a very good point in this comment, NATO & western allies are treading wearily on the Ukraine crisis, Europe is very nervous & the Russian Bear is strong as ever, not to be underestimated.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #27
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebola.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, storm in a tea cup, they should offer them the brissy docks , send a couple of ships down to sydney/melbourne way , we want to have a gig at them too.
have a look at the Marshal Shaposhnikov, if a ship could be handsome, this would be it.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aposhnikov.jpg

Last edited by mik; 13-11-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: add
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #29
56L
a.k.a PAULY

These ships were detected 4 or so days before Abbott,s conversation with Putin,they were coming anyway like it or not,as if there is not a US or Chinese fleet out there as well.

The show of stance has nothing to do with Australia its more to do with who,s here at the moment.

Ridiculous news storie by channel 7,talk about a storm in a teacup and clutching at straws
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
6 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #30
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
g220 crap or expo.
G220. I See what you did there......
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
This user likes this post:
Closed Thread