Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Water Under Rocker Cover - EF2 I6

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11319462

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Hey Guys

Little problem... Should I drain the oil (whats left of it) after some water got in it? The oil filler cap on the rocker cover broke away while i was cleaning up the rocker cover and about ~200ml's of water got into it before i could stop the hose (one of those old designs where it twists on or off)... should i be worried?

I have enough oil here to drain the old stuff and put in some other stuff but not too sure on what else i should check?

Cheers
Tony

Its an I6

Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
LukeyST
ST fan

I'd definitely be draining the oil, as well as removing the rocker cover and getting rid of any water sitting in the head, im pretty sure there is a heap of little points lower than the drain ports back down to the sump.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Yeah.. Thought so....

The Head was re-furbished with new valves, springs, tappets and lifters and ported 1mm larger than factory back in Sep 2009 and a new head gasket went in so don't want it to go on me...
Old 13-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
4ford

For me, I would certainly change the oil...

But for the rest of the water pooled in the recesses of the cylinder head, which would be quite a small amount, I believe would be forced into the sump when you pour the new engine oil into the filler as quickly as you can (caution: not to quickly, otherwise it will overflow!).

Then, with the new engine oil filled to the correct level, take the car for a drive of at least 30 minutes to evaporate any/all moisture in the sump.

Remember, during 'normal' operation of the car, if you repeatedly drive the car from cold for very short distances, over a longish period of time, say, a few months, moisture will actually form within the engine, from condensation, and will actually show up as a slight increase in your engine oil quantity.

This effect can/will be fixed by operating the car regularly for more than a couple of Ks, as mentioned above, to warm up the engine and evaporate this built-up moisture.

All I'm saying is that you do this in this instance!

Remember to recheck your engine oil quantity when you return.

Cheers
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post