Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
abonser

Default Looking To Buy A Caterham

Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a Caterham as a track/weekend driver. Would anyone have any contacts or suggestions of where i should start looking? I'd much rather buy one within Australia but they seem to be quite pricey even in kit form. If someone could put me in contact with someone or even a local club with members who sell them, that would be great.

The only other option would be to import one in. The states seem to have a few nice ones for sale in the 15k to 20k range and with the current exchange rate, this maybe the way to go. Anyone??

Cheers

Aaron

To Come: Electronic Gauges displayed on the ICC
abonser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by abonser
Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a Caterham as a track/weekend driver. Would anyone have any contacts or suggestions of where i should start looking? I'd much rather buy one within Australia but they seem to be quite pricey even in kit form. If someone could put me in contact with someone or even a local club with members who sell them, that would be great.

The only other option would be to import one in. The states seem to have a few nice ones for sale in the 15k to 20k range and with the current exchange rate, this maybe the way to go. Anyone??

Cheers

Aaron
Add the cost of shipping, duties and then converting and compliancing, and I think you're way better off picking one up here, although the UK or Japan might be an option.
Try http://www.oz-clubbies.com/forums/
Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Search for PRB Clubman... http://www.prbaustralia.com.au/ actually, I have seen a blue one just last week, either on Ebay or tradingpost for 20 grand even with a ford motor.

I have seen them as cheap as what you want, but they are generally not the best looking of the bunch, with funny scoops and bulges in the body work etc.

I have toured the PRB factory in Chullora, Sydney. They have fooled around with composite materials, (wafers of carbon fibre and aluminium honeycomb) and have been able to make 4-500kg 200kw rockets (using S2000 motors). But these will set you back around 60 grand for a turn key and ready to roll machine.

They are around... I have been toying with the idea of getting one as well, but I'll do my tax return soon, and then ill have a better understanding of my financial situation.

And another thing. Just buy a running car thats registered. Building one would be fun, and possibly cheaper, but with some of the cheaper kits around, you will be making several trips to the wreckers yard sourcing parts from many cars, new and old.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

The local Victorian Lotus club was quite happy to include any clubman owner as a member (I’ve heard that some can be a bit snobby or eletist) so I’d talk to them. I would speak to them first before speaking to anyone.

There used to be a clubman class of racing – I don’t know if it is still active.

I’d rate them in the following order:
PRB (The best evolution – composite chassis with the S2000 driveline)
Caterham
Elfin (heavy)
Amaroo (don’t know if it’s still being made it was a bit bigger than the others but could be fitted with Nissan 200SX drivelines)
Westfield (local state based distributors – cheap (and not the best but a lot of fun for the money))
Fraser

A lot of the one from a few years ago used the 1600cc Toyota Twin Cam – I don’t know if it still complies with new emissions requirements. I’d be going for a supercharged (or turbocharged) version rather than waste time on the 20V version.

Take care when looking at old ones I was looking at a John Palmer Evolution (JPE then the quickest Caterham with a stove hot Vauxhall engine) at a car display 5-6 years ago and was surprised at the amount of surface rust on components like steering links.

You can get Caterhams occasionally popping up on the Jap import websites but they seem to be the old Ford 1600/1800cc twin Weber engines with the live rear acle (or maybe De Dion if you are lucky) for around $30k. I think some of those cars had some bump steer problems when they were using old (Triumph Herald?) uprights.

Caterham have a local distributor now, I think they are the guys that bring in Morgans as well.
The push nowdays seems to be the wide bodied new chassis versions, which as you say are quite pricey.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
myxr6
Banned

you could try here too.
http://www.birkin.com.au/Contacts.php
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

one of my customers at my old store used to bring me his prb racer to put his race gear on it, it was only and mr2 n/a motor and i used to love taking it for a spin.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
abonser

thanks for all the feed back guys. they're all pretty exxy. i think my best bet will be to import from japan or if im really lucky... find one which someone is trying to flog after abandoning the build process. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

To Come: Electronic Gauges displayed on the ICC
abonser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

1981 Caterham - $16,000 plus compliancing costs needs some TLC
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12691
Sounds like a dog that needs a new home

Usually they are around 30ish K when they pop up.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post