Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
stringbeans
Boobs.

Default Ford Focus - low rpms and stalling

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some advice, as this is the first car I've owned...and I've only owned it for 2 weeks D:

I bought a Ford Focus 2010 Zetec MkII, it's a 2L, auto and has 40k kms.

For the first week or so it seemed ok, but I'm currently having a problem.

When I start the car, the rpms drop to 800 or below, the car shudders and occasionally stalls. When I finally start driving it, I accelerate but it takes a second to kick in. It idles at about 800 when stopped.

After this initial problem it drives fine, I have noticed while stopped it idles at low rpms and *sometimes* it takes a second to accelerate, but apart from that there are no problems.

The manual states that I should use 95 octane petrol or above; I've been using 98 for now.

Since I know nothing about cars, I researched and some people with similar problems were told it may be a vacuum problem. I originally thought maybe it was the fuel I was using.

My question is: Could it be the fuel? Anyone have suggestions on what to do? It's still under new car warranty but since I've never done this before I'm not quite sure what to do – I assume contact the dealer and tell them what's up and let them organise repair.

tl,dr: HALP I'M SCURRED D:

stringbeans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
DeKa

Are you putting it into Drive the moment it starts? If so, start it and wait literally 2 seconds until the dash lights come on, and the revs settle. The put it into gear.

I have noticed similar behaviour if I'm too quick. 2 seconds of patience and it's all ok.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
stringbeans
Boobs.

Default Re: Ford Focus - low rpms and stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
Are you putting it into Drive the moment it starts? If so, start it and wait literally 2 seconds until the dash lights come on, and the revs settle. The put it into gear.

I have noticed similar behaviour if I'm too quick. 2 seconds of patience and it's all ok.
I put on my seatbelt, foot on brake, start it up, park break down, then in drive. I do it quickly, so I may wait a few seconds and try it then. Thanks for the tip
stringbeans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Samurai_Chris

Default Re: Ford Focus - low rpms and stalling

Created in error.
Samurai_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post