Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Falcon XR6 v Mondeo TDCi

Hi All,

Had occasion to seat myself in an XR6 Falcon a week ago. Thought I was getting a Lancer, but you know how these Hire Car companies deliver anything except what you expect?

Anyway it allowed me to get some subjective opinions about the differences between the Mondeo and a Falcon with about the same number of km.

1. General impressions on entering the car - similar, but the seating in the falcon was less impressive.

2. Interior space - Falcon seemed to be smaller but the transmission tunnel intruded into the car more, so I'm not sure about this. Seemed to be less room behind the forward pair of seats.

3. Boot space: More in the Mondeo but it is lower in height and so the reach to get things behind the rear seat is a stretch - remember I'm driving a sedan.

4. Roadholding: I think the Mondeo might be better, but I did not have an opportunity to push things too far. Steering was much lighter in the Falcon and I have gotten used to the heavier steering in the Mondeo -but I admit I prefer this - The Territory feels lighter too and this was preferable to the AU we had previously. So it might be "what you are used to" phenomenom.

5. Fuel economy: Filled the thing up after 85 km (Only had it for a day) and it accepted 5.8 litres. I'm guessing about 7 litres per 100km. 50/50 city highway driving, perhaps biased towards country. In similar circumstances in the Mondeo I'd expect 6.5 litres/100km - so I'm suspecting that since I stopped after the first click I might have gotten more into the tank with an extra squeeze on the nozzle trigger. But an impressive figure, non the less.

6. Overall impresession: If the Falcon had been fitted with a diesel engine, then it would have been in the cars we would have considered for purchase when we bought the Mondeo, But, sadly, no diesel option. Based on a day with the Falcon I would have been happy with such a purchase, but I'm happy that the lack of the engine option steered us towards the Mondeo.

Generally, I think the Mondeo is better engineered, better screwed together, provides better occupant comfort and uses less fuel for a given task than the home grown product. But I would have preferred to spend the money on a product that was built in Oz and thus kept a majority of the money in this country.

I do not think that it is possible for a production line that builds multiple platforms to compete with one that is platform specific in terms of build quality. So if FoA wants to be part of Ford's Global plan then I suggest they concentrate on a single model that gets exported without competition from other Ford factories. Sadly, I do not think that FoA has the global clout to negotiate such a position in the Ford presence. And that means that FoA will become an importer of vehicles to sell in Oz - Pity that

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Thanks for the great write up!

I'm thinking of getting a Titanium TDCi in the new year and after sitting in both it and the G6E I was amazed that the Mondeo is roomier (I'm 202 cm tall, so driver space is a deal maker/breaker). Been lurking here for a few weeks now reading up on the new Mondeos and this is exactly the kind of info I've been looking for.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your thoughts Alan. I had a similar experience last year when I drove back to Auckland in bad weather in my Mondeo, flew to the South Island and picked up a XR6 a few hours later. The Falcon felt less refined, more difficult to drive in the conditions (wet and windy), and more cramped with poorer ride quality. But, and it's a big but, the FG has such a good drivetrain - fast, smooth and reasonably economical.

I'd be very happy with the XR6 if they made a wagon. But they don't, so it's the Mondeo for me.
Old 25-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
fordmondeoman

If the falcon was in diesel i would have got it over the mondeo not that i dont like the mondeo.
Come on ford get it out will help sales so much
Old 25-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
RicOz

Good review! For the tech lover (like me) I can't go past what Mondeo has to offer as well compaired to other cars in the range. I mean Mondeo could be better if it had sat nav but the Human Interface screen in the dash is a good example of where information technology in cars are going.

Also with the Titanium, you have adaptive cruise control, collision warning, lane guidence etc... If Falcon combined diesel engine with these tech gadgets, I would consider it!
Old 25-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went from a newish FG XT to my Mondeo XR5. even ignoring the different level of standard equipment spec, the mondeo as a far more satisfying drive...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Mickmelb

I just had a similar experience last week. I normally drive a Fairmont Ghia and had a Mondeo TDCi demo for 2 days it was not a MC unfortunately but still good to see how it went. 400 kms later I would agree with most of that, the Mondeo out handled my car but the ZF transmission in the Fairmont is far superior. Even not worrying about fuel economy it was still showing when I gave it back that I would get over 1000km out of the tank. It wouldn't be fair to compare equipment levels with both cars being at different ends of their model ranges but the seat was pretty hard. Good torque in the Mondeo but lacked power so pulls away nice but doesn't go on with it like the Falcon. Nice intergration for the bluetooth, I live on the phone for work so liked that but weird how the time,radio station, who is on the phone etc show up on both the radio and the HMI display it would be better to have more options what you wanted on the HMI instead. Having driven a Mondeo now im about to order a Titanium over a G6E.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a G6 in Adelaide last year. I really liked the car. It was good on fuel, comfortable and I like the resposiviness of the throttle. Good power too. I liked all the interface with Bluetooth on the dash and the dual speedo is a plus as well. I like digital. The centre console kills it for me. Too high. I have no idea why a centre concole is such a dominate feature. It makes you feel cramped and the car does not feel big like a falcon before it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Hey AlanD - I would agreee with points 1,2,3,4.
I checked out the XR6T Falcon before buying my XR5 MB. Didin't even bother going for a test drive in the Falcon. And only interested in a 3-pedal manual, so would have had to wait for one to be built from scratch.
And that Falcon, console !!!!! why so f***n big ? Waste of space and makes it feel cramped.
Very happy with my XR5, despite ACC self-mindedness.
Cheers, AllanC........
'a manual car has 3...yes three pedals'
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmelb
I just had a similar experience last week. I normally drive a Fairmont Ghia and had a Mondeo TDCi demo for 2 days it was not a MC unfortunately but still good to see how it went. 400 kms later I would agree with most of that, the Mondeo out handled my car but the ZF transmission in the Fairmont is far superior. Even not worrying about fuel economy it was still showing when I gave it back that I would get over 1000km out of the tank. It wouldn't be fair to compare equipment levels with both cars being at different ends of their model ranges but the seat was pretty hard. Good torque in the Mondeo but lacked power so pulls away nice but doesn't go on with it like the Falcon. Nice intergration for the bluetooth, I live on the phone for work so liked that but weird how the time,radio station, who is on the phone etc show up on both the radio and the HMI display it would be better to have more options what you wanted on the HMI instead. Having driven a Mondeo now im about to order a Titanium over a G6E.
Chances are you won't be seeing the Titanium until after January.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
I checked out the XR6T Falcon before buying my XR5 MB. Didin't even bother going for a test drive in the Falcon. And only interested in a 3-pedal manual, so would have had to wait for one to be built from scratch.
And that Falcon, console !!!!! why so f***n big ? Waste of space and makes it feel cramped.
Very happy with my XR5, 'a manual car has 3...yes three pedals'
My sentiments exactly, although I did drive the XR6T 50th (manual) through North Sydney, felt very clunky. Having driven my MA to and from the dealer the choice to go with an MB was pretty straight forward.
Mondeo has more relevant features like ACC, hill assist, corner lighting. The only down side is having the USB in the glove box, would be better to have a fly lead in the glove box like the XR6.
The best techy thing the salesman showed me on the XR6T was the various ways you could program the radio to turn off!?
Old 26-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

The best techy thing the salesman showed me on the XR6T was the various ways you could program the radio to turn off!?
Well.....that is because you are supposed to be experiencing the aural pleasure of that Turbo straight 6. Yes it does hustle when you desire, but......

....ah, each to their own cup of tea, latte, double-shot expresso, Bonox, whatever....
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I have one of each, granted, the falcon is getting on now.
I'd have to say aside from going fast in a straight line, the Mondeo covers my BA in most facets. Handles better, safer, fuel (obviously!), build quality, interior materials, practicality, pretty even on interior space and I get to talk (swear) at it.

Oh just remembered - I can fill up the falcon without fuel spilling everywhere!
Old 27-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Mickmelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Chances are you won't be seeing the Titanium until after January.
That still works out for me seems I stuffed my change over date up ( I blame the rego labels with no dates anymore). I don't need it till Feb and if theres any delay the dealer can give me a loaner again like they did while waiting for the Fairmont.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You all make out that the Mondeo is a pretty good car and i'm sure it is. I just can't say I would buy one over an FG XR6 though. I'd have to test drive one to see what they were like.

Without having driven one the one thing I don't like about them is the poxy name "Mondeo"? .. it sounds so GAY lol.

They should have just called them Ford Fandango or something if they want it to end in an O start with an F and still sound GAY lol.

Surely they could come up with a better name than "Mondeo"?

Suggestions anyone?

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike
You all make out that the Mondeo is a pretty good car and i'm sure it is. I just can't say I would buy one over an FG XR6 though. I'd have to test drive one to see what they were like.

Without having driven one the one thing I don't like about them is the poxy name "Mondeo"? .. it sounds so GAY lol.

They should have just called them Ford Fandango or something if they want it to end in an O start with an F and still sound GAY lol.

Surely they could come up with a better name than "Mondeo"?

Suggestions anyone?
I have a suggestion

Mondeo is a ford. Wears the same badge as your Falcon. Granted it's not your cup of tea, but calling the car gay based on it's name shows real level of maturity.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I have a suggestion

Mondeo is a ford. Wears the same badge as your Falcon. Granted it's not your cup of tea, but calling the car gay based on it's name shows real level of maturity.
I didn't say the car itself was GAY . . just that Mondeo is a GAY sounding kind of name. I actually like the look of them . . They are a very smart looking car. Just wish they had come up with a better name for them.

Apologies if I offended anyone.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #18
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't say the car itself was GAY . . just that Mondeo is a GAY sounding kind of name. I actually like the look of them . . They are a very smart looking car. Just wish they had come up with a better name for them.

Apologies if I offended anyone.
Nah. But if you don't like Mondeo, just debadge it and stick something else on.

If you want to see really gay names, check out what the Japanese call some of their domestic models. Mazda Bongo, Nissan Homy, Mazda Marvie Proceed but my favourite has to be the Nissan Sunny California.
Old 28-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I seem to remember that a Japanese company marketed something called a "Cedric" about 40 years ago.

Don't think I'll get involved with applying lifestyle choices to names though.

Nothing more than an identifier, IMO.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't say the car itself was GAY . .
hmm I'm sure the headlight blinked on when I was walking pass it in the garage the other night just wearing undies

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well luckily most of us here know what the FG XR6 drivers are missing out on... i'll take my "gay" XR5 Mondeo any day of the week...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
falcon convert

Well I am clearly in a minority within this thread. Two years ago I went into my Ford dealer expecting to buy a diesel Mondeo. I drove the Mondeo back to back with a G6E and came away with the G6E.
As I recall the main reasons were:
- Its a matter of personal taste, but I preferred the G6E interior - especially the console (and I went for Cahsmere leather - something not available in the Mondeo)
- I couldn't get past how smooth and strong the power delivery was with the good old I6. This may have had more to do with the brilliant ZF 6 speed transmission that the engine.
I know I'm in the Mondeo section, so I suspect I will remain in the minority.
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #23
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon convert
This may have had more to do with the brilliant ZF 6 speed transmission that the engine.
nah we are pretty good here we know we are driving the best car what is even more surprising the Mondeo HAS a ZF6HP in Europe that auto was at the Sydney Motor Show in the only Mondeo there I take a ZF any day over a DSG!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon convert
- I couldn't get past how smooth and strong the power delivery was with the good old I6. This may have had more to do with the brilliant ZF 6 speed transmission that the engine.
I agree, the FG drivetrain with the ZF auto is outstanding. I haven't driven a SIDI Commodore yet but they'd need a serious magic wand to make it better than the Falcon

My son thinks I'm mad, but I'd be very happy in a G6E turbo...
Old 27-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #25
LVXR5
Starter Motor

I love all fords.I have an XR5 FOCUS myself..I love the mondeos,
however even an xr5 mondeo wldnt outperform an xr6 manual falcon..or auto
They are far too heavy.. Lows 16s qaurter mile for mondeo..The focus low 15s
much lighter.. So the xr5 mondeo has decent performance so how slow
would the turbo diesel be or even worse the petrol powered..non turbo
Surely they must do over 10 seconds to 100km, (1990s family car performance)..And with a full load I wldnt be impressed with overtaking power
and going up the hills..As far as engineering and build quality the mondeo no doubt superior to the falcon..Ride,comfort, features, etc.. So I guess if
people arnt to concerned about performance Mondeo would be the way to go..But id opt for the XR5, which however they wont be bringing out anymore
what a shame..But i reckon if you can afford the F6 or G6 (TURBO) model beofre i think Id go for that over the mondeo for sure..
LVXR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #26
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVXR5
I love all fords.I have an XR5 FOCUS myself..I love the mondeos,
however even an xr5 mondeo wldnt outperform an xr6 manual falcon..or auto
They are far too heavy.. Lows 16s qaurter mile for mondeo..The focus low 15s
much lighter.. So the xr5 mondeo has decent performance so how slow
would the turbo diesel be or even worse the petrol powered..non turbo
Surely they must do over 10 seconds to 100km, (1990s family car performance)..And with a full load I wldnt be impressed with overtaking power
and going up the hills..As far as engineering and build quality the mondeo no doubt superior to the falcon..Ride,comfort, features, etc.. So I guess if
people arnt to concerned about performance Mondeo would be the way to go..But id opt for the XR5, which however they wont be bringing out anymore
what a shame..But i reckon if you can afford the F6 or G6 (TURBO) model beofre i think Id go for that over the mondeo for sure..
Edited due to misreading previous post - sorry.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT

Last edited by scribbly; 28-12-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: misstated against the previous thread
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post