Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Savings at year end sales

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I'm in the market for a new XR6T & I'm planning to wait until Dec/Jan year end sales. My question is, is there real savings to be made by waiting until Dec/Jan (as apposed to buying now) or are the "sales" at year end more marketing hype, then real savings?

Thanks in advance for any feed back

Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck getting a 6T off the showroom floor mate, the way those things are selling I highly doubt there would be much in the way of excess stock sitting on showroom floors.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Good luck getting a 6T off the showroom floor mate, the way those things are selling I highly doubt there would be much in the way of excess stock sitting on showroom floors.
Yes and no..

Its hard to predict with alot of people wanting cars before Christmas to make use of the investment allowance...

Theres a few XR6 Turbos around, but not heaps.. You will negotiate a good price at the moment if you do your homework.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

You can pick up some bargains Feb/Mar as the dealers shift cars plated from the previous year. This is worthwhile if you plan to keep the car a number of years. The cars you get bargains on a generally slow sellers.

If you sell you cars after 2/3 years then the savings will be lost as the car is "older" when you sell it.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I'm in the market for a new XR6T & I'm planning to wait until Dec/Jan year end sales. My question is, is there real savings to be made by waiting until Dec/Jan (as apposed to buying now) or are the "sales" at year end more marketing hype, then real savings?

Thanks in advance for any feed back
There are savings to be made on floor stock. The yard now knows that an 09 plated car is less desirable to customers in 2010 - could have been built in Dec 09 but the perception is that the car, if you were to sell it in Jan 2011 would now be 2 years old. So you can bargain a cheaper price but be aware of the potential of getting less in resale down the track.

Damn, Ninja'd.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
VICFPV

Buy near the next model or on runout deals.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
RATT
In a Pug..

It's not the same as a few years ago.
Most dealers, if not all, will hold a minimal amount of floor stock. There may be one or two XR6 Turbos etc. Not enough to warrant massive incentives from Ford.
Think of this too, what you save in buying a "runout" now will cost you when you sell it.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh its not like BAMKII / BF days where tehre were hundreds of them sitting at year end.. Ford built too many FGs in late 2008 and learnt from that!
Old 31-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Nappa
Impressive...

I'd be snapping up a car this year rather then waiting into 2010. At the moment turbo's are hard to get, most of them are having to be ordered. So come jan you may find there are none left and you will have to build one. And that will cost you more. As we get closer to the end of the year stock is only going to tighten up.
Old 31-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If you want it with a few options its most likely going to have to be built to order anyway.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

It's currently a 6 week lead time for XR6 Turbos built to order with a few options. I know, I've been enquiring !
Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I'll need to order one as I want Luxury & tech pack, which I understand is only available when built.. I guess the overall feed back I'm getting is there is no need to wait until Dec/Jan as I won’t get any "year end" specials on an built to ordered car??

When does the factory close for x-mas & for how long?

Thanks all
Old 01-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

If you are going to be ordering a new one, hang out till the first half of next year (I've heard around April) as the I6 will be getting upgraded. It'd be a shocker to order one for Jan or Feb delivery then find that there is a new model on the market a couple of months later! Then again, this will require patience.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
If you are going to be ordering a new one, hang out till the first half of next year (I've heard around April) as the I6 will be getting upgraded. It'd be a shocker to order one for Jan or Feb delivery then find that there is a new model on the market a couple of months later! Then again, this will require patience.
They are only changing it to match the Euro IV compliance yes?
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
They are only changing it to match the Euro IV compliance yes?
That is the reason for the update; some people have said that the I6 will receive a slight bump in power, this is just speculation though. Realistically I don't think Ford could make the turbo much faster than it already is anyway without giving it wider rears.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One would think the standard 4 litre will have over 200 kw then.. (which is easy enough for Ford to calibrate..

Turbo can easily get a power hike just in raw numbers as we know they are underated!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #17
markfalconute
Starter Motor

Im looking at buying a new XR8 auto ute,does anyone have any feedback on what i should be paying for one of these bad boys
markfalconute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Thanks, it is definitely something to thing about.. Will it be a series II or just an updated engine? I do keep reading about April next year, still trying to fix out what sort of changes are coming...
Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
Thanks, it is definitely something to thing about.. Will it be a series II or just an updated engine? I do keep reading about April next year, still trying to fix out what sort of changes are coming...
It is unclear whether Ford will follow Holden in adopting running changes to the cars and labelling them MYxx as opposed to specific model series. For example, a number of changes have been made to the VE Commodore since 2006, including brand new engines and yet it is still labelled "VE" with the model year (MY09 vs MY10) being indicative of the updates.

It's doubtful that Ford will change anything more than the engines as the FG is still new and Holden haven't updated their VE significantly enough to prompt Ford to change FG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfalconute
Im looking at buying a new XR8 auto ute,does anyone have any feedback on what i should be paying for one of these bad boys
You might have more luck asking in the Boss forums...

http://fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I think I'll need to order one as I want Luxury & tech pack, which I understand is only available when built.. I guess the overall feed back I'm getting is there is no need to wait until Dec/Jan as I won’t get any "year end" specials on an built to ordered car??

When does the factory close for x-mas & for how long?

Thanks all
DEC 18 for 3 and a half weeks. Most likely if you ordered anything now you would not get it till next year, especially a turbo. They might say 6 weeks but I highly doubt it would make that, there was a decent waiting list for them a few months ago, can't see now being any different. It was around 2-3 months wait mid year for anything 270 kw turbo powered.

As for the series II, I think Ford will do more than upgrade the engines. They will not only gain Euro 4 compliance but more than likely they will continue with the fuel economy improvements. I'd say there might be a good chance the plastics may be changed too, even if its just the front bar, but I don't know. Ford got hurt last time they did an upgrade and it barely changed in looks (BF). And they also probably were a bit annoyed that so many blind people claimed the FG looked the same as the BF. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
colin55

I doubt you would get a build delivered this year, I ordered my xr6t on 25th sep and the expected delivery date is the 20th of november...
colin55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post