Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Welding fuel tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Remember for something to burn you have to give it heat, fuel and air. Remove one and it doesn’t work.

Great advice, except you're talking about welding (heat) a fuel tank, presumably in air.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Great advice, except you're talking about welding (heat) a fuel tank, presumably in air.
nice selective quote

can you burn water??
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #33
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Approaching this stuff isn't a lot different to any other dangerous maintenance.
You do have to make the correct assumption to start off with.

With Electricity assume the circuit is live, hydraulics, EFI, LPG assume it's pressurised, empty fuel tanks assume there is vapour within, and so on.

It's up to you to test, prove beyond reasonable doubt that what you're about to work on is safe to do so. If you can't, get someone qualified who can.

Many neglect to do so, or get complacent, and pay the price. Usually only takes one mistake.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #34
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Approaching this stuff isn't a lot different to any other dangerous maintenance.
You do have to make the correct assumption to start off with.

With Electricity assume the circuit is live, hydraulics, EFI, LPG assume it's pressurised, empty fuel tanks assume there is vapour within, and so on.

It's up to you to test, prove beyond reasonable doubt that what you're about to work on is safe to do so. If you can't, get someone qualified who can.

Many neglect to do so, or get complacent, and pay the price. Usually only takes one mistake.
Hello,
The one thing I am absolutely grateful for in this long life is the fact I was very lucky to be born with the " common sense gene "
How lucky we were to be born with the ability to learn,to take information and be able to turn it into some form of logic, some folk are just as thick as two short planks!..why!..I don't know,but I am grateful I had a good brain and mind and can see danger,some just can't,its not their fault,they were born like that,and threads like this are to help others who cannot distinguish the dangers involved in backyard workshops.

I have seen some shocking accidents,mainly on remote construction sites,before OHS meant OHS it was really dangerous with a capital "D".
Dodgy dogman and crane chaser tickets come to mind?
It was very common in the 70's to get a new dogman who did not speak English??..the guy he replaced backed a BHB crane over his foot,first hour on the first day on the job,it was just nasty,but that's over now,thanks to the unions!..and the rank and file members like me!

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #35
LTDHO
The one and only

I just hat a hole in my XB tank welded.

No issues.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #36
slowsnake
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Welding fuel tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
I just hat a hole in my XB tank welded.

No issues.
Hello,
The XA,XB tank is one of the craziest designs I have ever seen on a car,are we talking about the tank that incorporates the spare wheel?...there are more seams in them than an underground coalmine!.. lol...
Well done to the person who welded/repaired it for you!

Cheers Billy.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #37
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi,
I have been using vacuum cleaner
the welding courses i've done said they have to boil the tanks for several hours before they are safe to weld.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #38
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
can you burn water??
Yes.
But not sure what that has to do with the topic at Hand?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Yes.
But not sure what that has to do with the topic at Hand?
try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
Not exactly something you want to do without understanding the consequences.

I have done it - filled the tank full of water and patched a hole in the tank.

Remember for something to burn you have to give it heat, fuel and air. Remove one and it doesn’t work.

Trick is that any air gaps can contain an explosive mixture.

You really have to be careful and be aware of the risks in doing this, quite a lot of people don’t and that gets them into trouble
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 02:02 AM   #40
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
the welding courses i've done said they have to boil the tanks for several hours before they are safe to weld.
Hello,
Not being a smart**** but how do you boil a 20,000 litre fuel tank?...and for several hours?

I am assuming its steam clean?..several times!

Cheers Billy.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #41
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Hello,
Not being a smart**** but how do you boil a 20,000 litre fuel tank?...and for several hours?

I am assuming its steam clean?..several times!

Cheers Billy.
when I use to work at a tank degassing place in my youth many many years ago (prier to my apprenticeship as a diesel fitter)
we worked on road and rail tankers and part of my job was cleaning them to ready for hot works (as well as assisting in the hot works , and im still here now)
we use to fully fill them with water unboiled (how do you boil water in a road or rail tanker ? ) and leave for 24hrs then drain and get inside and with (the correct) cleaning agents scrub clean the inside with a high pressure steam cleaner , and then refill with water to remove any residue cleaning agent

ps avgas needs to keep the moisture out and has something inside to assist this ~ I learnt this the hard way after starting the fill process and had to get in waist deep to remove this and unfortunately dropped it dur in the removal

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 21-07-2018 at 03:42 PM.
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #42
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
when I use to work at a tank degassing place in my youth many many years ago (prier to my apprenticeship as a diesel fitter)
we worked on road and rail tankers and part of my job was cleaning them to ready for hot works (as well as assisting in the hot works , and im still here now)
we use to fully fill them with water unboiled (how do you boil water in a road or rail tanker ? ) and leave for 24hrs then drain and get inside and with (the correct) cleaning agents scrub clean the inside with a high pressure steam cleaner , and then refill with water to remove any residue cleaning agent

ps avgas needs to keep the moisture out and has something inside to assist this ~ I learnt this the hard way after starting the fill process and had to get in waist deep to remove this and unfortunately dropped it dur in the removal
Hello,
So what were you welding?
Were you cleaning tanks or welding tanks?
Were you pre cleaning tanks for the welders to repair?..or cleaning them because they were contaminated and another product was going in?

I worked on the fuel supply for F 111 fighters in 1978 at Amberly Air Base.
So I worked on the supply pipes from the Tank Farm to the hangers.
I watched RAAF personnel clean the fuel tanks on these planes,at a distance,they used steam cleaners,chemicals etc and the poor defenceless buggers went into the wings etc.

The security guards took my 110 film cartridges from me when full,24 images,they gave them back all developed with anything sensitive missing,ie..negatives cut out,I probably got 10 pics per 24,eh free development.

The only time I have filled a fuel tank with water,(20,000L) was another avgas tank farm,very small,2 tanks,half in and half out the ground and a besserblock containment wall in case of leaks.
It was Maroochydore airport in 1979,it was filled so it would not float out of the concrete after the pour.
We welded the supply pipes not tanks,but they float out of the concrete!.

Cheers Guillaume.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #43
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Hello,
So what were you welding?
Were you cleaning tanks or welding tanks?
Were you pre cleaning tanks for the welders to repair?..or cleaning them because they were contaminated and another product was going in?
I didn't do the welding back then I was merely the sh!t kicker TA
but yes all came in for repair be them steal or alloy one road tanker had been in a roll over and we cut the damaged side out of it and replaced it
once we did a full farm tank and cut a hole in the side and added a new flange for a new access pipe to enter , but 99.99999999999~% of the time all were coming in for repair we wernt the ones that just did cleans due to contamination

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #44
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Many years ago I had a leak in a seam on a 100 gallon truck fuel tank (diesel).

Our mechanic told me to go fuel up and fill the tank to the brim.

Did so, returned to him and he stick-welded the seam.

I told him I was nervous about it but he reckoned he'd done dozens over the years.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 11:07 PM   #45
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post

I told him I was nervous about it but he reckoned he'd done dozens over the years.
Hello,
Yes that's right,no air,no bang,but depends where leak is,if the oil comes in contact with the weld it just contaminates the weld,its really hard to weld a liquid that's oozing out of a crack,but it can't burn inside,only outside,until the tank is empty,then "maybe boom”!
I bet you London to a brick he wouldn't do it with petrol or paint thinner?

But not the best example of OHS,they make a mess of your face and chest if they blow,and if they live the first thing they say is " I was an idiot eh "
Then the boss gives him a bill for blowing out 200 fluoro tubes in the w/shop,then a laundry bill for everyone's undies and trousers to be cleaned.

Cheers Vilmos.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #46
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

these days they'd just bung in a self tapping screw to stop the leak

Old 08-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #47
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
these days they'd just bung in a self tapping screw to stop the leak

More likely replace the truck...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #48
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
More likely replace the truck...
Hello,
More likely replace the fitter/mechanic/welder!

Cheers Bilek