Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 15-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Austtralian Muscle car Drag day

I see the results posted in the latest Australian Musclecar mag show Ford could only manage a 4th fastest..
While the time in question is an excellent time for that model i feel a bit dissapointed that other models of similar modification (XAGT, XWGT, BAGT)couldn't compete (due to dissagreement with the rules??!!) and take the top spot for the Blue oval.
The Times posted by some of the cars would seem at odds with the stated rules of "stock".
Its a shame Ford was only lightly represented as many quality Fords were turned away because their cars were deemed not "stock".
Does anyone have any ideas we might me able to put forward to the organisers if this event happens again so the Blue oval has a chance of a good result??
4TH might be acceptable to some but 1st is the only place i aim for in anything i do.
I think if they're going to make "stock" a criteria than cars need to be more tightly scrutineered and the rule applied more consistantly, otherwise it should be open slather!

Last edited by 4Vman; 15-03-2005 at 04:07 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Did you see what held the top spot (and 2nd)

The 6cyl Charger knocked off the 300kw GTS HSV! :
Old 15-03-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Did you see what held the top spot (and 2nd)

The 6cyl Charger knocked off the 300kw GTS HSV! :
Yeah true, so much for stock hey! that's my point, that car was pretty modified and nearly a second quicker than you'd expect...
Ive got no problem with the event the way it was run, but if its going to be only loosely scrutineered it shouldn't get so much press or made out to be a serious shootout!

Old 15-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4VMan, is there a link to or anyway of posting the rules for that event??
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
4VMan, is there a link to or anyway of posting the rules for that event??
Ill see if i can find them, i think the rules were made up as they went...
4 friends turned up to race and were told their cars had to look stock inside and out...
Chrome rockercovers weren't allowed but apparently a full exhaust system and cold air intakes hot cams, etc etc were..

Last edited by 4Vman; 15-03-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 15-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes rules mean unnecessary red tape but other times it stops issues later .. like this.
Old 15-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sometimes rules mean unnecessary red tape but other times it stops issues later .. like this.
I agree, rules can choke the event but if its going to get plastered all over a mag like it was some kind of reference as to each models best capabilities than they need to do a better job of administering the rules and ensure a fair and balanced offering was put forward from each brand.. just my opinion!

Old 15-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

It’s hard because there would be so many modified late models Ford and other brands of car to contend with.
Before they started there review they should of set out to find some stock ones and see if the owners were interested in being involved.
Nostalgia Drags are on April 24th, not sure if we will see to many stock ones, but it’s for only pre 75 cars, I hope there is a good turn out for a day meeting and we see plenty of Real Ford Muscle.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
It’s hard because there would be so many modified late models Ford and other brands of car to contend with.
Before they started there review they should of set out to find some stock ones and see if the owners were interested in being involved.
Nostalgia Drags are on April 24th, not sure if we will see to many stock ones, but it’s for only pre 75 cars, I hope there is a good turn out for a day meeting and we see plenty of Real Ford Muscle.
I agree, id love to see STOCK versions compete to see what they are really capable of with modern tyres and timing equipment.
Ill even go as far as to say they should have 2 main classes, "classic muscle" for cars made from 1967-79 for the REAL musclecars and "modern muscle" for the later 1980-05 cars, and stock/modified within those 2 main classes.
I believe the musclecar era ended in the late 70's anyway, but to keep everyone involved maybe 2 seperate classes will keep the different era's preserved for what they represent.
Eitherway id rather see every car involved as long as its a genuine example than see some excluded and some included by deception or default...

Old 15-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

do you live in Melbourne....might be a good day get down and ask what these guys have done and see what they run..
Read here....if you haven’t already had a look.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=4758
I must agree with you, I love the idea of seeing and watching these Real Muscle cars being put through there paces with modern tyres and timing equipment.

Old 15-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
4 friends turned up to race and were told their cars had to look stock inside and out...
Chrome rockercovers weren't allowed but apparently a full exhaust system and cold air intakes hot cams, etc etc were..
:
Obviously you didn't go there, and whatever you have been told is quite untrue and a load of BS....It was a pre-booked event...2 months in advance before it took place...and if your mates turned up on the day and were told they couldn't race....that is why......it has nothing what so ever regarding their mods. Nobody would have gotten through the gate, unless their name was on the list.

Cheers
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
SpoolMan

Firefox you have had your say, but this thread is for Muscle car drag racing.
its only fair this stays on topic, as they were told to start there own thread on drag racing muscle cars.

Old 15-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Firefox you have had your say, but this thread is for Muscle car drag racing.
its only fair this stays on topic, as they were told to start there own thread on drag racing muscle cars.

Thankyou for clearing that up!

Yep im in melbourne, ill be most keen to get to the Nostalgia event!!
I love the old bangers!!!

Old 15-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #14
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thankyou for clearing that up!

Yep im in melbourne, ill be most keen to get to the Nostalgia event!!
I love the old bangers!!!
Why don't you come for the AFF drags ????
Old 15-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #15
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Why don't you come for the AFF drags ????
He was coming with me but since i am no longer attending we are off to the Australian Muscle Car Day!
I think to put it fair all cars should be stock with only mods to tyres ect......To call 1/2 of those modern plastic fantastics Muscle Cars is a insult anyway.I would love to see a T3 or a BA GT in 20 to 30 years down the track,i'll give u one guess have a look at my avatar and u will get my point. :thebirds:
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 10:12 PM   #16
SpoolMan

Alex you guy's are in the GT club?
Are there many guy's there who have old Fords that have raced?
Old 15-03-2005, 10:19 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There are heaps of them, the Falcon GT Nationals are on at easter in Ballarat and were having 1/8th mile drags, the NSW guys have some awesome GT's too but there are a couple of decent Vic cars that might do ok.., mmmm its going to be Ford Musclecar heaven!!

Old 15-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #18
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
We do race but more in a way of skid pan and motorkhana style events.A few of us have attended High Speed Trials at Mangelor airport ect.........There is the GT NATS in Ballarat over Easter and around 50 odd cars will compete in the 1/8th mile. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 15-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #19
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
There are heaps of them, the Falcon GT Nationals are on at easter in Ballarat and were having 1/8th mile drags, the NSW guys have some awesome GT's too but there are a couple of decent Vic cars that might do ok.., mmmm its going to be Ford Musclecar heaven!!
Hey u better be backing us Vic boys :sm_headba
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 15-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #20
SpoolMan

Get me some more info, we can post a piece on our drag forum, might boost the crowd as Ballarat is only 1 hr from Melbourne..

Old 15-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #21
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

As I dont like to speak in the other thread incase it upsets someone I would like to ask, how can out of a 36 car field, 3 TE's get a start?? FRom what i can see no other model got such a good shot. I dont think that is a good representation of the ratio of Aussie 'Muscle' cars when 8% of the field is an AU Falcon...

Another thing is re- the stock configurations of the cars, how does one spot an edit for example on a post 90 model chariot?

Last edited by Racecraft; 15-03-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
Hey u better be backing us Vic boys :sm_headba
Of course!! There won't be any cars rejected becuase they're not stock either!!

By the way, the AMC Drag day stats:

40 spots but only 35 cars competed... 4 Chryslers, 22 Holdens and only 9 Falcons... the 5 missing cars were Falcon GT's that WERE entered...

Old 15-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
As I dont like to speak in the other thread incase it upsets someone I would like to ask, how can out of a 36 car field, 3 TE's get a start?? FRom what i can see no other model got such a good shot. I dont think that is a good representation of the ratio of Aussie 'Muscle' cars when 8% of the field is an AU Falcon...

Another thing is re- the stock configurations of the cars, how does one spot an edit for example on a post 90 model chariot?
Excellent point! ive got my suspicions on why the entry's ended up like that...

Old 15-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #24
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

so out of 9 Falcons 3 were TE's ... How on earth can 33% of the Ford field be one model?

Old 15-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #25
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:

I would say the guy who organised the event or Ford cars was single minded. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 15-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #26
SpoolMan

Racecraft am not sure where we are going with this, but its been said if you booked in on the day you were in...now some dont agree that that was the case, so its not going anywhere.... lets forget about... the creteria of that day.... because no one will ever agree on the best car format.... it was like trying to sort out classes for racing we go up and down in one spot...
lets move foward and get into the Muscle cars..
Has anyone thought of sending the guy who run the event a email?
Racecraft are you going to Ballarat.?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 15-03-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 15-03-2005, 10:33 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For all those interested the Falcon GT nationals site is:

http://www.falcongtnationals.org/

The Drag event is on Sunday at the Ballarat Airstrip, the links to the event details are on the site.
Plenty of Genuine GT Falcons doing their thing!!

Old 15-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #28
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

nah XRFPV sort of a long hike, I would love to check out some of the action down south as you guys seem to hold meetings all the time :(

I wasn't at all knocking the times just curious as to how the organisers picked the field out of all the people that surely would of wanted a start. Diversity wether Ford, HOlden or Chryslers would make the day a real treat if 4Vman can organise something.
I only asked in here as they seem sensitive in the other thread

Back on topic,: Does anyone know how they would detect an edit during scrutineering?

Old 15-03-2005, 10:41 PM   #29
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
nah XRFPV sort of a long hike, I would love to check out some of the action down south as you guys seem to hold meetings all the time :(

I wasn't at all knocking the times just curious as to how the organisers picked the field out of all the people that surely would of wanted a start. Diversity wether Ford, HOlden or Chryslers would make the day a real treat if 4Vman can organise something.
I only asked in here as they seem sensitive in the other thread

Back on topic,: Does anyone know how they would detect an edit during scrutineering?
It would be hard to detect any such device but as some have run good numbers i would say they would soon figure something wasn't right.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 15-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #30
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Has anyone thought of sending the guy who run the event a email?
Tried that and I couldn't find a address, all I can find is buy a Subscription... any ideas?