Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Have I done something wrong?

All this year it has been blow after blow, from my surgery being put off multiple times, to having it 2 weeks ago, then developing an infection, so I got really sick, to now.

I have today and tomorrow off and I used this to speak to my bosses about the business. Needless to say I was told I don't have to come back to work because they can't support my wage anymore. So I have 3 weeks pay left, then nothing, they were however nice enough to say rather than come and work, I can use this time to try and find employment and that they are more than happy to be a reference.

My boss who I started working for 5yrs ago didn't say a word, my boss who bought into the business 2yrs ago did all the talking. Basically he said I was a 1 in a million worker, loyal, honest, always on time and they knew the business was always in good hands when they were away (I often ran the whole shop alone), but it has come to a point where they can't support my wage. All well and good, but I have no skills apart from my ambulance backround and what I have self learnt through running the business alone etc, I have a cert III in IT, but man 4 weeks before christmas, 2 car payments, finance on just about evrything I own (stupid of me). So I am really stressed and wondering who the hell I ****ed off this year.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: Have I done something wrong?

I have so wanted to start a thread like this... unfortunately you can only roll with the punches brother..

Do whatever you need to do to relieve the stress off you and your family probs...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

This is my thoughts on life, exactly. From what I can gather, 2011 has been **** for everyone.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Employment agencies and submit as many job applications as you can. I was fired in Aug this year. It ended up being a blessing in disguise as nothing on the truck I was driving was getting fixed. Ended up working 1km away from the previous employer for better $. Eventually I got tired of the unlimited work hours. I now work back at the company I worked from before going to the one I was fired from and are still on better $ and hours than the one I was fired from

Being fired also gave me an excuse to work on my XB and have a leisurely 3 weeks away from all work

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Yeah have already applied for a store managers position at the local sanity, applied for a traineeship with Telstra, doing the line work, satellite installs etc. Next week I am going to go and team up with my sister and clean up my grans house which my father has neglected to complete in the last 1 1/2yrs, so her house can go on market and we can finalise the estate. Going to try my luck asking him to fund my fuel (is an 800km round trip) I have access to some cash in the estate, but for now we will struggle.
Old 24-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
stang65
FPRJET

Hang in there mate I feel the pain, sometimes we need to go through some hard times to appreciate the good times ahead.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Sorry to hear of your situation mate, it's not very nice and especially at this time of year. All I can suggest is to make an appointment with Centrelink as well and let them know that you have been made redundant and want to apply for whatever benefit you're entitled to (probably Newstart Allowance) It's not a nice place to visit but when you have commitments such as car payments etc.... every dollar you can get can only help the cause. As far as your repayments and other debts are concerned it will probably be in your best interest if you to contact your bank or lending institution and let them know what has happened, most places are a lot more understanding nowadays and you should be able to arrange to decrease your payments until you can get back on top of the situation. Keep doing what your doing by applying for whatever you can and something is bound to come up for you soon. Best of luck with it and don't stress too much over it, it's just not worth it
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Trying not to stress, not going to call esanda until I have exhausted all avenues of income. I pay for insurance on both cars (i think it is to cover this sort of issue), but I want to wait until I can't afford to pay at all. However I have my fiance telling me she wants ex amount to pay her gym fees and another amount to go to movies tomorrow night and then get's resentfull when I say I have just lost my job and it is wasting money.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

^^ then ask for for the same amount for car payments ha sounds like she might not be the one if she can't grasp the gravity of the situation.

You'll be right mate, the only way from here is up!
Old 25-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s bad luck mate, these challenges come up from time to time and can seem daunting , but like a hurdle you`ll get around it, 6 months from now you`ll look back on it and wonder why you where even worrying about it, i have to say i agree with Russ, i would jump on benefits for now, you pay taxes your entitled to some help.
good luck mik.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
that`s bad luck mate, these challenges come up from time to time and can seem daunting , but like a hurdle you`ll get around it, 6 months from now you`ll look back on it and wonder why you where even worrying about it, i have to say i agree with Russ, i would jump on benefits for now, you pay taxes your entitled to some help.
good luck mik.
Not entitled to didly squat. My fiance works full time (not a high paying job) and I have earnt money this financial year. Centrelink seem to think a. My fiance can support the whole family on 40k and b. I have saved every cent I earned somwhere, because they won't give a cent.
Old 25-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
05_ENFORCER

Ambulance background??

Medic or SERO on a minesite, opportunity there buddy

Old 25-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
TICK4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's how you get through these hurdles that make you who you are, but don't leave anything till the last minute, you'll trap yourself.
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
Ambulance background??

Medic or SERO on a minesite, opportunity there buddy

My ambulance backround is volunteer, although I work alongside a fully qualified paramedic, we do the same as the paramedics, except can't intubate, canulate or administer the heavy drugs, although being with paramedics we do often administer drugs whilst they are busy. Unfortunitely it is not recognised. I have thought of the industrial medic course, but it is about $3000, that is with the discount for being a member. The industrial medic allows you to work on mines and gives you the skills and abilities to canulate and intubate.
Old 25-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Been in this exact same spot three years ago. Luckily I had enough money to pay all my bills for the month but it got really tight towards the deadline date but luckily enough I ended up with a job.

Just hit SEEK and go for everything you can do. My wife is one who'll say go for everything but if you can't do the job satisfactorily why go for it?
Old 25-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Just hit SEEK and go for everything you can do. My wife is one who'll say go for everything but if you can't do the job satisfactorily why go for it?
because that's the new age Australian way... get a job or promotion when you have nfi how to do it and then get the people under you on less money to work harder :(

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
because that's the new age Australian way... get a job or promotion when you have nfi how to do it and then get the people under you on less money to work harder :(
Bloody typical now hey.
Old 25-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
Spudz27
Call me Spud

There were a few traineeships I applied for. I might be too old (28) but it doesn't hurt to apply. One was with telstra, the other with the water corp. My dad is very high in the water corp ranks, but let's just say it won't help as I would be in the **** if I tried to use him to get a foot in.
Old 25-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Mate, ring finance companies now. Tell them the situation!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Got to keep paying cars, apparantly I only have gap cover not income protection. I told him to check again because I find it hard to believe I wouldn't have gotten income protection. So I still have to make the payments. Hope I can get a job soon.
Old 25-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Keep ya chin up Spudzy

2011 has been a shocking year for a whole lot of people. Fingers crossed you will get another job very soon.

I know it doesn't help much at times like this, but there are people out there much worse off...That statement is of little solace when things appear to be going down hill, but it is true. I continually remind myself of this when I get down.

Things will improve for you...just hang in there
Old 25-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Look for a casual job at Maccas, even if its just a few weeks till you find something else. They're good with rostering and training.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you just need to make some quick cash to keep your head above water then maybe think about doing some fruit picking. Just a thought.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #24
Falcman0o7
Banned

Sorry to hear mate. Life really sucks sometimes.
a few years ago i lost my job, house, had a bad car accident, i huge dept in the mail and found out my girlfriend was cheating on me. I was only 22.
Now im married with a fulltime job and 4 kiddys Happy.

Anyway, COLES DISTRIBUTION CENTRES pay great and it's the time of year for more employees! Should be good untill you find something better.

Hope it all works out. Im kind of a strong believer now in fate. Whats meant to be is meant to be. It WILL get better.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a thought that may or may not help in two ways. Super. A lot of super funds have income protection and also the ability to draw on in financial hardship.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #26
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Look for a casual job at Maccas, even if its just a few weeks till you find something else. They're good with rostering and training.
Yep macca's is in the equation. But not until things get serious and not until new year. I have a follow up appointment with surgeon in 2wks and am due to spend christmas time with family 400k away.
Old 26-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #27
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Maccas, Woolies, coles... etc wherever you can get a foot in mate. Then keep on applying elsewhere.

Worse case sell a car and downgrade for the meantime. Gotta keep the food on the table and power etc at all costs.

Best of luck mate hope it works out well for you.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #28
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Lost my job 2 weeks ago, been struggling since last week when the savings expired. Have realized that centrelink is the only option until I get a job. Have forwarded 200+ resumes in a week and had one interview. But a positive outlook is what I have and I hold a positive outlook.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #29
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
This message has been deleted by Professor Farnsworth. Reason: this doesn't help lift the OP's spirits
But it is the truth and demonstrates the OP is not alone.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #30
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate my mum looks after all the trainee/apprentiship stuff for essential energy nsw if this would help i can find out if that or other jobs are available in Your area. Shoot me a pm