Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
prasac
Banned

Default Ford forums are we being over-censored?

hope i worded the thread title correctly

seems when a thread gets started and a few people start to get involved in a discussion it gets closed. i opened a thread things were interesting, ok i got my grammar criticised and sarcasm was thrown around alot but im a big boy i can handle whatever comes my way. are we all really big kids that need to get protected at the sign of something may get heated? why is it enforced so hard here i don't see it anywhere else? can't the posts be deleted instead of things getting closed?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Please explain?

Oo\===/oO
Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think you need to be silenced..........

While the forum is public in nature it is also run by members which need to draw a line, its a tough gig and one that perhaps we forget to often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Please explain?
Explained...

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Please explain?
sorry i hit enter before i started writing explained in first post.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Not really. Newsgroups are a classic example of how anarchy just doesn't work. But I do get the feeling that it can be a tad over censored here at times, but thats the mods call, and I guess if you don't like it, start your own forums.

Without the mods here, it would soon degenerate into a steaming pile of you know what. Some might let their own personal points get in the way on the odd occasion, but hell, its minor and if you're being a bit of a plonker, then you get what's coming.

I keep coming back here because its civilised. If it turned into a Just Commodores forum I'd be outta here.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I think you need to be silenced..........

While the forum is public in nature it is also run by members which need to draw a line, its a tough gig and one that perhaps we forget to often.

Explained...

but when should the line be drawn? if i have a discussion with someone my mummy doesn't come running when she thinks something mite happen
Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
BOSHOG
avenge me

yeah sometimes a mod might close a thread just because he doesnt like where its headed but have a look at boostcruising.com and the crap that goes on there and youll appreciate how this assylum is run
Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
prasac
Banned

it's seems like it's very cliquey here. when things don't go the way people want it's a good time to shut things down.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Paulie I have always held the admin and mod team in high regard, as the job they do here is tough. It comes down to discretion, sometimes they might be pre-emptively closing a thread because they just see it going bad, other times it is obvious if a thread is just stupid or pointless(not saying any of yours are. Just saying). In respect to really good threads that turn south, maybe you are right and maybe not, I would suggest sending Russellw a PM to see what he thinks, it certainly is a valid point you raise. Deleting the rubbish rather than deleting the thread is always preferred but as I said, sometimes moderator X might just see cleaning as a waste of time. Why clean to get dirty? You know? Hope I have not come across as sarcastic or disrespectful, it is not my intention, just want to help you out.
Cheers,
naish.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Paulie I have always held the admin and mod team in high regard, as the job they do here is tough. It comes down to discretion, sometimes they might be pre-emptively closing a thread because they just see it going bad, other times it is obvious if a thread is just stupid or pointless(not saying any of yours are. Just saying). In respect to really good threads that turn south, maybe you are right and maybe not, I would suggest sending Russellw a PM to see what he thinks, it certainly is a valid point you raise. Deleting the rubbish rather than deleting the thread is always preferred but as I said, sometimes moderator X might just see cleaning as a waste of time. Why clean to get dirty? You know? Hope I have not come across as sarcastic or disrespectful, it is not my intention, just want to help you out.
Cheers,
naish.
it's all good mate, i take nothing to heart im not a baby if it continues how hard is it to send a message to the parties involved saying just to calm things down?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Edit: totally misread your post. Do you mean PM a mod/admin or the mod/admin pming a user who is stepping out of line?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Edit: totally misread your post. Do you mean PM a mod/admin or the mod/admin pming a user who is stepping out of line?

yeah mod pming a member or parties involved email etc each other. i run in different circles to everyone here so i'm not friends in the outside world here with anyone. but i love Fords and most of all i like people to be informed about things and giving some info if needed.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Why not have specific forum area where the gloves come off with relaxed moderation for those
that want to duke it out while keeping a stronger level of moderation in place for general forums

A lot of people who come here don't want to read reams of anti governemnt
diahorrea and guys wondering how to subvert road laws and enforcement.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there may be be the odd time its a bit nanny state, however after being on other forums, you come to appreciate how well its run here 99.9% of the time, i would`nt change anything. 10 points fordforums.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Why not have specific forum area where the gloves come off with relaxed moderation for those
that want to duke it out while keeping a stronger level of moderation in place for general forums

that is one of the reasons i like coming here

1 the friends i have made here
2 it is a good way to get away from the mundain political crap

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
prasac
Banned

Quote:

i love your style seriously how many people have been killed in the world after having an argument on a forum 10-20 max out of 6 billion that is pretty good odds do people seriously take things to heart that much that a problem will ensue.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I certainly don't want to see tou leave. You've been a great contributor since joining.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I certainly don't want to see tou leave. You've been a great contributor since joining.
it's not worth leaving over

i don't think there are any other Ford Forums around, im a Ford man thru and thru i can put up with being treated like a baby growing up western sydney im just used to having a ***** stir with people, that's wot we do here, dat and drink

i have met a few people off here at the drags and they were nice guys/gals.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Perhaps you are the one that needs to lighten up aswell.

Since you have joined I have noticed you seem to have a wealth of knowledge with regards to mods and turbos, thats great as perhaps it was lacking previously. But dont stress about a thread being closed, there is no personal agenda.

Its a massive forum, the mods are only human, I think everybody has been put into line atleast once so your not alone. Heck mods even correct mods sometimes.

If you are referring to the turbo vs blown thread then while it was disappointing to see it end there was more than one party playing games.

I for one would like to hear more from you and your obvious expertise in a particular field, but dont make it a us vs them thing. There is nothing stopping you from creating a thread devoted to turbo mods and general chit chat about it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
BOSHOG
avenge me

mods- would this thread have gotten out of hand if the sticky threads (started bt b2tf?) at the top of the Boss section didnt dissapear. there used to be lots of them, including a warning about supercharger and turbo debates.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
i love your style seriously how many people have been killed in the world after having an argument on a forum 10-20 max out of 6 billion that is pretty good odds do people seriously take things to heart that much that a problem will ensue.
I support a place set being up so that if people are inclined thy can join in with less moderation,
I just don't want to read reams and reams of BS I and others consider irrelevant to normal threads.

By the way, my comments are not aimed at you....
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Perhaps you are the one that needs to lighten up aswell.

Since you have joined I have noticed you seem to have a wealth of knowledge with regards to mods and turbos, thats great as perhaps it was lacking previously. But dont stress about a thread being closed, there is no personal agenda.

Its a massive forum, the mods are only human, I think everybody has been put into line atleast once so your not alone. Heck mods even correct mods sometimes.

If you are referring to the turbo vs blown thread then while it was disappointing to see it end there was more than one party playing games.

I for one would like to hear more from you and your obvious expertise in a particular field, but dont make it a us vs them thing. There is nothing stopping you from creating a thread devoted to turbo mods and general chit chat about it.
not stressed about it being closed more so the censoring, i wanted to see what the guys said

it was actually never an us versus them thing it was in regards to people getting knowledge about it which i mentioned a fair bit.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

There are some very very scary Forums around the world, scary as in the scum of the earth are allowed to post their exploits freely with no hinderances (no I'm not joking, I really do mean scum). In some cases there are records of people killing themselves, or others simply because the mob said too for a laugh.

I for one appreciate the way this forum is run, as it's a place where everyone can have a say as long as it doesn't "attack" anyone else. Sure opinions are well and trully fine, but all the threads I've seen closed (I had one closed a few months ago) were simply because it became a case of "you're a $&&@$", "no you're a bigger $&&$$@" thread.

It may be a bit of fun for the two locking horns, but IMHO if you wanna do that, pass on you're phone numbers and call each other for the argument. The rest of us would like our 10mins back thanks.

Anyway, their my thoughts and opinions.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
outside
off in outer space

shouldnt this be in site support ?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
prasac
Banned

Quote:
I support a place set being up so that if people are inclined thy can join in with less moderation,
I just don't want to read reams and reams of BS I and others consider irrelevant to normal threads.

By the way, my comments are not aimed at you....
everyone is so pleasant here, maybe im not used to it i love a good stir, but people i guess can't take it. it's a forum it's not life or death
Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #26
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Go and read any thread on boostcruising.com and then come back here groveling

Out of boost, ls1, whirlpool and other forums I am a member of, AFF is the only one I will ever 'frequent', as it generally is a polite, well meaning forum where people can take a joke and don't abuse the day lights out of each other at a whim.

Honestly, the majority of forums where things are not moderated or very laxly moderated turn into "Your mum" jokes and Nazi comparisons faster than you can say 10 second pass.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #27
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems someone is havin a bad hair day

In all respect i think the mods do a great job
Especially along the "off topic" issues
Theres to many threads that go around and around in circles without actually comin to the answer
I suppose this is the issues with PUBLIC FORUMS
There are many other forums that just delete total threads the first wiff of trouble
OR
Even worse threads just totally outta control
Remember some of the mods or people at the top do actually have full time jobs
They dont sit here all day weeding out the grubs
Give respect where its due
Im not the only one on here thats had a few warnings(if u like )from the powers that be for shall we say stepin over the line
Without barriers you have no direction
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #28
prasac
Banned

the issue is not them censoring but how/when to do it, i have nothing against the mods, i respect what they do and i guess they have seen the crap that goes on here more than i have on the site.

if u go and kill yourself because someone on a forum said ur a broken unit to begin with. things that are said on here should be taken with a grain of salt. yeah people say crap on here in a nicer way but we are talking about typed words here we read too much into them. who one person reads it may be different to another unless ur being called a f***wit etc that is pretty self explantory
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Why not have specific forum area where the gloves come off with relaxed moderation ....
Not suggesting anything but the DM area has relaxed rules

Still, there are still some of these governing the place -->
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
i love a good stir, but people i guess can't take it.

Haha, stirring people up on the forums is a laugh, but you gotta be careful how you do it and what you say.

As Vik351 found out :(

Mods here do a great job, and I'm sure they monitor things and only act when it starts to get too out of hand, to prevent a storm of epic proportions being created.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Closed Thread