Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Another family member...

Last weekend I went wild and bought another car. Big $$ too.

I've been wanting one of these mighty machines for some time, but haven't found the right pristine example.

It came from out of the blue, a run down AU Fairlane Ghia Sportsman, with, wait for for it... 830,000k's!
It was a massive $1500 with 3 months rego.

Only it's 2nd engine, 4th tranny, and not sure what diff it's up to, but it's not original at 3.23:1.

It came with black leather, Momo wheel, BF ghia rims, and LPG. It was a silver service cab.

I've already yanked the LPG as I just don't like BBQ fuel, particularly when it's a dual system.
Tidied up a lot of odds and sods, and overall it actually goes and feels ok for such a high mileage weapon.

I'm not sure where I'll go with this, but I'll at least use it until the rego expires. Then restore or part it if it's too stuffed. If it hangs in ok, I may even re register.

If I keep it going, I won't do too much, as it will just be a run around, perhaps extractor, Tickford snorkel, 3.45 diff centre, better shocks, and some decent tyres.

What size 17" tyres do you Fairlane guys use?

5 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Another family member...

Congrats a nice looking beast.

I am new to the au fairlane scene as well and loving it.
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Jeez, you can't beat that for $1500.

Good pick up.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

FYI, if it is in fact a Sportsman, the original diff ratio is 3.45:1 not 3.23:1. As for tyres, most ppl fit 225 or 235/45 R17 as they are cheaper but if you look on the tyre placard on the lock face of the drivers door you'll find it lists Fairlane tyre sizes as 225/60 R16 or 225/50 R17. I've just gone back to the 225/50s' and it does smooth out the ride a bit and lessen the tramlining effect you can sometimes get with lower profiles plus the extra side wall helps protect the rims from pot hole damage etc.

Nice pick up by the way.

Bushbasher

PS. How do you know it's a Sportsman, there's no sticker on the door that they all have? It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks a little high too. The Sportsman got the XR suspension so should be a little lower than a normal 'lane and a little stiffer. The quickest way to get an idea is check the seats, Sportsmans got the LTD 10 way seats with 3 position memory that the regular 'lane didn't have.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 15-12-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Mine is a sportsman, and it sits that high. This has the right steering wheel, and howe leather seats....looks like sportsman to me. Being a cab with 830,000 on it...it could well have had the doors repainted/replaced.
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
AUFanboy

Nice score! Love those woodgrain wheels. Looks like the header tank is either empty or full of plain water though, I'd get some corrosion inhibitor in there asap.
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFanboy View Post
Nice score! Love those woodgrain wheels. Looks like the header tank is either empty or full of plain water though, I'd get some corrosion inhibitor in there asap.
I changed the thermostat, and flushed the system.
I never put corrosion inhibitor straight after doing work on a cooling system, just in case there's a leak and the coolant needs to be ditched.
I run it for a week, then drain it all, replace with water and coolant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
FYI, if it is in fact a Sportsman, the original diff ratio is 3.45:1 not 3.23:1.
Yep, that's why I said - and not sure what diff it's up to, but it's not original at 3.23:1.
I have a 3.45 LS center under the bench to bring it back to standard.
Quote:
As for tyres, most ppl fit 225 or 235/45 R17 as they are cheaper but if you look on the tyre placard on the lock face of the drivers door you'll find it lists Fairlane tyre sizes as 225/60 R16 or 225/50 R17. I've just gone back to the 225/50s' and it does smooth out the ride a bit and lessen the tramlining effect you can sometimes get with lower profiles plus the extra side wall helps protect the rims from pot hole damage etc.
Ok, I'll likely go with 225/50/17 then, as I'd like to keep it fairly standard, although I could be tempted to look at a 245/45/17, which are slightly higher than the more common 235/45, and slightly lower than the 225/50.
245 should be pretty chunky under there to.

I did look at the door sticker, but for some reason it only lists 16" sizes in the normal fashion, but something not normal for the 17". I'll double check in the morning.

BTW, it currently has 215/55/17. They look a bit weedy.
Quote:
PS. How do you know it's a Sportsman, there's no sticker on the door that they all have? It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks a little high too. The Sportsman got the XR suspension so should be a little lower than a normal 'lane and a little stiffer. The quickest way to get an idea is check the seats, Sportsmans got the LTD 10 way seats with 3 position memory that the regular 'lane didn't have.
Originally the dude just said it was a Sportsman, I didn't question it at that point, but before I purchased I asked in another thread here what the differences were, and it has all those features.
Momo wood wheel.
Elec seats with memory.
And the curtain leather on the door trims.

I didn't know they got the XR suspension. Shocks too, or just springs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL.50
Mine is a sportsman, and it sits that high. This has the right steering wheel, and howe leather seats....looks like sportsman to me. Being a cab with 830,000 on it...it could well have had the doors repainted/replaced.
What do you mean by that?

Last edited by Sox; 16-12-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I've got a spare Sportsman drivers base sitting here ;)

If you do end up selling it or something, let me know, wouldn't mind another AU2 Fairlane sportsman...
Old 16-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
I've got a spare Sportsman drivers base sitting here ;)

If you do end up selling it or something, let me know, wouldn't mind another AU2 Fairlane sportsman...
The seat base sounds good, what condition?
Do you need any bits? I have lotsa spares from donor cars...
Old 16-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

IRS, 4L engine, lowered springs... Just stuff like that I need...

I'll PM you a pic soon
Old 16-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: Another family member...

Sox,

You've done it again! Another AU for your collection.

Great pickup!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I did look at the door sticker, but for some reason it only lists 16" sizes in the normal fashion, but something not normal for the 17". I'll double check in the morning.
Door sticker shows the following -

215/60/15
215/60/16
T155/70/17

The last one is a space saver.

Interestingly the 15 and 16 are the same width and profile, meaning they'd be 1" in diameter different. 25.2" - 26.2".

I reckon somewhere between that would be nice, say ~25.7".

225/50/17 - 25.9"
245/45/17 - 25.7"
245/40/18 - 25.7" (if I swapped with some others I have here)
Old 16-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Sox, a 245 won't go under the front without rolling the guards and even a 235/45 will catch the top of the guard at full lock with any suspension compression. You have a different tyre placard to mine which makes me think that the entire door has been replaced in the cars past with a door from a falcon, probably a S1 if the placard lists 15" tyres, that would explain why there's no sticker on the door. The 225/55s must be the stock size for the BF Fairlane that those wheels came from as the Sportsman wheels are the "Elegance" wheels that came with Sportsman, 75th Anniversary, and BA G220 Fairlanes.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 16-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Sox, a 245 won't go under the front without rolling the guards and even a 235/45 will catch the top of the guard at full lock with any suspension compression.
I've got my 245/40/18's on BA XR rims on the 'Lane and the fronts have never rubbed on the guards no matter what type of speed hump, bump, compression or driveway I've subjected them to...
Old 16-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Sox, a 245 won't go under the front without rolling the guards and even a 235/45 will catch the top of the guard at full lock with any suspension compression.
Yep, I rolled both my XR's long ago, and this one just today in fact.
Quote:
You have a different tyre placard to mine which makes me think that the entire door has been replaced in the cars past with a door from a falcon, probably a S1 if the placard lists 15" tyres, that would explain why there's no sticker on the door.
Good pick up.
Quote:
The 225/55s
They're 215/55/17.
Quote:
must be the stock size for the BF Fairlane that those wheels came from as the Sportsman wheels are the "Elegance" wheels that came with Sportsman, 75th Anniversary, and BA G220 Fairlanes.
I kinda like the rims, and ordered the missing hubcap the other day, but in hindsight probably didn't need it.
They look really good with just a small plastic centre cap, more aggressive.

I was farnarkling around trying to get the electric mirrors to work today.
I found a little electronic module in the door which I worked out is part of the memory doodad for the seats.
It's dead, so I removed and rewired it so the mirrors work like standard. I can't get the passenger side going though as it's still tapped into the seat somewhere feeding it 12v at all times.
Any idea where this junction is?

Once that's done, the last thing is to get the traction control/ABS functioning again. I believe that would have been disabled because of the BBQ fuel. Any ideas there too?
Old 17-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Check the front sensors, and see ofthe tone wheels are still there
Old 17-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
EL.50
Just cruisin'

I have 235s on my Fairlane with no issue. Also, pretty sure the 75th anniversary wheels spokes are different to the Sportsman ones?
Old 17-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I ran 235/45 R17 and at close to full lock and full compression, like when you might turn up a driveway ramp in a curb etc., both sides snagged the guards right about where the front rivet is that holds the little plastic flare. Now, with the 225/50 R17 it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
..... the last thing is to get the traction control/ABS functioning again. I believe that would have been disabled because of the BBQ fuel. Any ideas there too?

I doubt it's related to the LPG system unless you left the lpg controller and switch wired into the loom. Check the wheel sensors first to make sure they're all working. If they are then it's probably the ABS control unit on the brake block under the bonnet. It is a common fault with the ABS unit of that model, the same unit was used in Mercs, Audis and even Commodores I think at the time. The best and cheapest fix is to remove the ABS electronic component from the brake block and send it to Specialized Automotive Electronics. The blokes name is Anthony Pazin and he'll mod it and fix the fault so it never fails again for $250. He's a top bloke and if you go to the "Outstanding service" sticky in the pub you can read my experience with him, it's the very first post.

Cheers
Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Last edited by Bushbasher; 17-12-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 17-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
I ran 235/45 R17 and at close to full lock and full compression, like when you might turn up a driveway ramp in a curb etc., both sides snagged the guards right about where the front rivet is that holds the little plastic flare. Now, with the 225/50 R17 it's all good.
I think it has to do with how much negative camber they have.
More negative camber will have the top of the wheel further in.
Quote:
I doubt it's related to the LPG system unless you left the lpg controller and switch wired into the loom. Check the wheel sensors first to make sure they're all working. If they are then it's probably the ABS control unit on the brake block under the bonnet. It is a common fault with the ABS unit of that model, the same unit was used in Mercs, Audis and even Commodores I think at the time. The best and cheapest fix is to remove the ABS electronic component from the brake block and send it to Specialized Automotive Electronics. The blokes name is Anthony Pazin and he'll mod it and fix the fault so it never fails again for $250. He's a top bloke and if you go to the "Outstanding service" sticky in the pub you can read my experience with him, it's the very first post.
I ditched all the LPG stuff I could find, but there was a lot of wires butchered which I had to repair.

I have a spare ABS unit and sensors, so that will be next.
Old 17-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
EL.50
Just cruisin'

LPG doesn't stop the ABS working...only traction control. Because traction control works off the fuel injection.
Old 17-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Quote:

Cheers
Bushbasher
Thats what mine has on it...Car is otherwise stock, and I have no issues
Old 17-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Nice find! And it has those wavey leather door inserts that I sooo want.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Great bit of kit.
How did you go rewiring the passengers mirror?
I want to do it to my missus's AU3 Ghia as the mirror was broken when she got it and I want to get rid of the stupid memory control mirrors. Gay things.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

other than a bit of foam replenishment for the driver seat it looks bloody good, nice pick up,
in the engine bay pic is that an auto filler tube i spy?? .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
other than a bit of foam replenishment for the driver seat it looks bloody good, nice pick up,
in the engine bay pic is that an auto filler tube i spy?? .
I've only had a brief poke around the drivers seat, it looks like the foam is ok, just the leather cover has come undone at the back and slipped around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
Great bit of kit.
How did you go rewiring the passengers mirror?
I want to do it to my missus's AU3 Ghia as the mirror was broken when she got it and I want to get rid of the stupid memory control mirrors. Gay things.
I spent a good part of today on that. What a nightmare.
I thought it was sorted a few times, but it always came up slightly wrong, as in the control wouldn't behave exactly as it should.

In the end I traced it back to the wiring slightly different to accommodate the control module in the door.

The hot wire and one of the control wires are spliced together for the memory module. The earth feed is also missing.

I un-spliced the joined wires, added an earth, and away it went.

If you need more detail, let me know.

Edit - I also had to cut the 3 wires which go under the drivers seat and join into the memory buttons. Otherwise the system is powered in the wrong area.

Last edited by Sox; 17-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 28-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Good info Sox. If you can share a bit more detail with me on where I will find the modules etc it would be great.
With the memory mirror disconnected does the memory function of the seat still work? That is one thing about them that I like.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Good info Sox. If you can share a bit more detail with me on where I will find the modules etc it would be great.
With the memory mirror disconnected does the memory function of the seat still work? That is one thing about them that I like.
The memory function doesn't work any more.
The module is in the drivers door.

I'm actually a bit flaky remembering exactly what I did now, it was over a month ago.
I had to mess with a lot of wires to make the mirrors work properly.

My memory seems to work as well as the memory function on the seats.

Last edited by Sox; 29-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.