Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2024, 04:51 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The VF Commodore at 10

I missed this one, was released a year ago. Don't know if there's any equivalent article on the FG-X out there. The author views the car from a contemporary lens, and it stacks up well - except for the crime of being a sedan.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...ough-2023-eyes

I would love to see the mentioned renders of a total VE rebody including doors and glasshouse - that would have been very cool.

What is everyone's view on the VF now? Good experiences, if you cross shopped with the FG2/FG-X, the good and bad points? Any horror 6cyl motor stories? I really liked that Holden had a red hot go improving the interior, reducing the weight, chintzing it up with chrome on the lux models, and then dropping the price by 5-10K at launch. We went along to the VF Sandman launch on the coast and they were beautiful inside and out, right down to the orange towel seat covers haha. If only there was a real van!
Old 22-03-2024, 05:09 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: The VF Commodore at 10

Would own/10

Always liked the VF. VE didnt do much for me really.

I like FGX also, but i like what Holden did with the Redline through VE/VF
I know FGX XR8 had all the good bits so to speak.
But imagine an FG/FGII/FGX, XR6T/G6ET with something similar performance wise with better brakes/suspension and all that gubbens. Not to mention the interior of those model falcons not changing much. VE interior was horrible. VF though wasnt bad i didnt think.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2024, 06:16 PM   #3
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up a 2017 Redline Ute a few months ago.
Originally wanted an FG2 XR6T, F6 or Miami GS but the FPVs are thin on the ground and most of the XRs are in average condition.
The VF ticked all the boxes for me, manual, top of the line, towbar and canopy with sliding windows.

The FG interiors I don’t mind but have seen after market solutions for the infotainment system which I don’t like. It seems the VF has the benefit of the GM parts bin for some interior stuff?
The VF has enough modern tech without being intrusive like all/most new cars.
HUD and blindspot assist (actually useful on the Ute) is always on, the other BS like adaptive cruise and lane assist has to be turned on by the driver.

Not fan of the plastic vents on the bonnet and front guards. Tacky and cheap.
The stereo sound is decent but Bluetooth connectivity is a joke, sometimes it takes half an hour to recognise my phone. Will not play music through USB cord.
Can get a plug and play module for apple car play/android and google maps for around $800.
Interior has hard plastics on the door card, dash and centre console.
And the worst, being associated with Holden bogans.

If I could turn back time I’d have prioritised buying one of these or a XR6t/FPV Ute when they were new. Knowing what a sorry state the new car market is these days.
In 2014 I bought my FG XR8 Ute, there was a new GS on the lot at twice the price. I couldn’t justice paying another $30k for the engine and Brembos.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2024, 07:07 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Got a VF and VFII Evoke Sportwagon as company cars at work which we abuse, weve got roof racks on them as well as cargo barriers inside. I can get them to 9.5L/100km with suburban driving and on the highway into the 7s.

They're good work vehicles that are comfortable to drive, the factory stereo is trash though it's real tinny.

If the VF had the Barra and the Miami they'd be the perfect cars, unfortunately aside from the L77/LS3 variations that 6 cylinder engine is trash I reckon.

Ours have been good reliability wise, I find that the VF Evoke with 265,000km on it drives way better than the VFII Evoke with 114,000km, so I always take the older banger when doing work driving, it has way more go for some reason.

I prefer the look of the VE over the VF, more masculine looking, the VF is too Euro.

As far as a car goes, easily the best cars ever made to come out of Australia, it's a generation ahead of an FGX, it's just massively let down by the trash GM V6, they should have used the 2.8L single turbo version they were making for SAAB in Port Melbourne, would give it lots of low down torque.

Have a turbo 4 as the base engine, the SV6 with the 2.8L turbo V6 shared with SAAB and then the usual L77 and LS3.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-03-2024 at 07:16 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2024, 08:19 PM   #5
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought one of the last VF's (2017 VF2 SSV Redline Manual) brand new in 2017 as a keeper... Will be 7 years old this year. Its been hugely reliable, apart from Servicing and tyres hasn't had a single issue in my ownership.

I cross shopped it with a slightly used FG-X XR8 and the VF2 is easily a much better package, its gen ahead of the FG-X and feels it. Runs rings around it from a handling point of view not to mention tech (standard sunroof, prox key/button start, heads up display, etc)... LS3 sounds better (and wicked from the factory) but in standard form the Miami is a better motor, which makes sense, its the motor from the GT.. Holden couldn't do the same (LSA) as HSV where still around and those motors where for them.

Looks are subjective, but my Redline looks heaps better from the front/front 3 qtr. The rear end is OK but I don't love the clear taillights (though not enough to replace with aftermarket). Holden Mylink (the Sync 3 Equivalent) is utter garbage though...

I fixed the Mylink thing by replacing not only the source unit (aftermarket 10inch unit with wireless carplay, etc) but also the BOSE stereo with a large custom stereo and have done some performance mods to approx 500hp ATW. Next up is 427 with Harrop blower once money allows.

On the FG-X, Ford did a DAMN good job on the XR8, considering that the only budget they really had was whatever change they could find behind the cushions on the tea room couch, whereas Holden had more of a budget on the VF2 which is why (in V8 form at least) its such a big step forward from VF1. I'll also concur with Franco regarding the V6 (both the 3.0 and the 3.6) being pretty garbage... Barra (non turbo and turbo) are a better thing...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2024, 11:10 PM   #6
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VF Calais V sedan, did have it lose power steering momentarily once, which turns out happened about 2 months after a recall had been issued for that possibility, and was fixed quickly. No other issues, just regular servicing and consumables.

Like smoo I love the HUD, like the warning about vehicles approaching from the side when reversing blind out of a park, but turned off the ****ing forward collision alert. It scared shit out of me first time it went off...2 hours into the ownership experience, open road 100km/h zone, closing quickly on car in front as I'm timing an overtake the moment oncoming car passes, just as I begin to pull out and put foot fairly well into it there is a loud alarm and (I think) maybe also a flash of red warning on the HUD, but I can't be certain of that as I've had it turned off ever since (because I'd just booted it I momentarily thought it was engine alarm). Never tried the self-parking; pride myself on reverse parking like a freakin' boss, but am starting to get curious to try it just to see.

There is some chrome around the shifter and where console meets the dash that can be blinding for 3-5 minutes in the middle of the day when the sun is in just the right (wrong?) spot.

Overall I really love it.

Re the 6 cylinder engine, I kid you not but either last week or week before Grays Online had a beaten up and hail damaged white 2015 VF Calais (not V) ex hire car in NSW...it had >800,000km on it. If I knew how to use wayback or whatever I'd link it here - I thought it was a typo, thought it was meant to be 81,500km instead of 815,000km or whatever it was, but then the photo of the odo confirmed it. If someone knows how to find it and link, it is obviously a ****ing unicorn (wish I'd bookmarked it to see what it sold for, it was rough as).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
The stereo sound is decent but Bluetooth connectivity is a joke, sometimes it takes half an hour to recognise my phone.
I had this issue, and also constant drop-outs, until I went into bluetooth settings and turned off the feature where it alerts you via MyLink when you receive a text message. Been flawless ever since.

Downside is I do like that SMS alert feature - that you can then select on headunit for it to read the message to you while you are driving - not just the convenience, but sometimes it is hilarious to hear Holden Head Unit chick reading some of the messages from my mate Dave, and at times when I'm driving the kids they'll text me some song lyrics to hear her read them out.

I also find it amusing when you give her commands to phone someone, she speaks all robotically as she repeats back the name or number, but then when you confirm she kind of sexily says "Dialing". Oh my that reads back bad.

Last edited by Mulva; 22-03-2024 at 11:24 PM.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2024, 08:20 AM   #7
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

I had this issue, and also constant drop-outs, until I went into bluetooth settings and turned off the feature where it alerts you via MyLink when you receive a text message. Been flawless ever since.

Downside is I do like that SMS alert feature - that you can then select on headunit for it to read the message to you while you are driving - not just the convenience, but sometimes it is hilarious to hear Holden Head Unit chick reading some of the messages from my mate Dave, and at times when I'm driving the kids they'll text me some song lyrics to hear her read them out.

I also find it amusing when you give her commands to phone someone, she speaks all robotically as she repeats back the name or number, but then when you confirm she kind of sexily says "Dialing". Oh my that reads back bad.
Thanks. I’ll try that, since I haven’t gotten around to buying that aftermarket kit.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11601458...MaAhJkEALw_wcB

Also been meaning to disconnect the bi modular exhaust in the open position as IMO it’s a bit of a **** starting it in a public area and the exhaust crackles and pops in a dramatic way, then goes back to being quiet.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-03-2024, 09:04 AM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Seems there's more closet Holden fans on this forum than one would expect.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2024, 09:23 AM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
For me i havnt minded the brand, but ever since they stopped making cars here ive started to like them a little more.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2024, 09:48 AM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
For me i havnt minded the brand, but ever since they stopped making cars here ive started to like them a little more.
Sad, I no longer have anything GMH but at least I still have something GM powered.

Old 23-03-2024, 10:59 AM   #11
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks. I’ll try that, since I haven’t gotten around to buying that aftermarket kit.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11601458...MaAhJkEALw_wcB

Also been meaning to disconnect the bi modular exhaust in the open position as IMO it’s a bit of a **** starting it in a public area and the exhaust crackles and pops in a dramatic way, then goes back to being quiet.

I added the CarPlay/android auto to mine initially:

https://ibb.co/4KRnTWw

And it was a game changer having carplay which fixed what was wrong with mylink for me. After replacing the whole factory system with aftermarket I did also end up changing the screen to a Kenwood unit with wireless anyway which is better again but probably overkill with the standard stereo

https://ibb.co/1qJR423

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 23-03-2024, 11:47 AM   #12
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
I added the CarPlay/android auto to mine initially:

https://ibb.co/4KRnTWw

And it was a game changer having carplay which fixed what was wrong with mylink for me. After replacing the whole factory system with aftermarket I did also end up changing the screen to a Kenwood unit with wireless anyway which is better again but probably overkill with the standard stereo

https://ibb.co/1qJR423

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How come you ended up changing the screen, did the original fail?
My preference is to keep it looking stock.
One thing that appear to be an issue going forward (like all modern Aus cars) is parts availability. Already reading prices for Series 2 SV6/SS front bumpers are through the roof, if they can be sourced in the first place.
There were a heap of VFs sold, I think their last year they pumped out over 30,000 of them, but that doesn’t stop the ferals wrecking them and sending them for scrap.
Old 23-03-2024, 11:48 AM   #13
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Engines aside, the VF was streets ahead of the FG2/FGX; it really showed up the penny pinching at Ford.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2024, 12:54 PM   #14
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a VF2 SS in the family. Great car
Is a bit of a garage queen these days. But that’s okay

It’s been on a tilt tray 3 times with failed injectors.
After the 3rd the rest were replaced as well
Quite common on the LS3 model.

Don’t really care though, we all love it to death.
Old 23-03-2024, 07:17 PM   #15
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How come you ended up changing the screen, did the original fail?
My preference is to keep it looking stock.
One thing that appear to be an issue going forward (like all modern Aus cars) is parts availability. Already reading prices for Series 2 SV6/SS front bumpers are through the roof, if they can be sourced in the first place.
There were a heap of VFs sold, I think their last year they pumped out over 30,000 of them, but that doesn’t stop the ferals wrecking them and sending them for scrap.
The main reason was that when I took the factory Bose system out to replace it with the aftermarket one (and I do mean ALL the factory stuff) it never really vibed with Mylink very well for some reason so I was having issues which I wouldnt have with the replacement unit. It certainly larger but in person it does actually fit pretty well for its size and carplay/android auto is now wireless. Ive got all the factory stuff show up (reverse camera, front and rear sensors, climate control, etc) on the new screen as well. A nice bonus is it plugs into the car and you can have guages showing all sorts of different things which is cool (IMHO at least...)

I still have the complete Bose system as well as the original screen and surrounds packed away in the shed in case I sell (no plans) and/or I want to change it back.

As for parts, it is something that could be of concern down the track. There is a local place on the Gold Coast who specializes in them, buys written off ones and harvests useable parts to on sell, he's got pretty much everything. Though not an unlimited supply. The dealer I bought it from still has a Holden Parts guy (its the same dealer I bought 2 other cars from so Im still in there for servicing of those) and he reckons theres a huge stockpile of most things, but its all kept in Melbourne and not in dealer stock like others so whatever is needed would take a day or 2 to get here.. I havent really needed any parts so far so, wait and see I guess..

Old 23-03-2024, 09:50 PM   #16
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Never liked the VE. Styling was like it was made using Lego Duplo; chunky, blocky, and unappealing.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2024, 09:56 PM   #17
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Never liked the VE. Styling was like it was made using Lego Duplo; chunky, blocky, and unappealing.
I had a VE Series 2 Omega as a company car for 3 years and never really got into the styling, especially from the back. Interior wasnt that great either. Well built but window controls between the seats sucked and the bloody stupid handbrake design did my head in. The FG is a much prettier car than the VE

Old 23-03-2024, 10:04 PM   #18
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

This forum being what it is fails to see how much more engineering GMH put into the VE-VF Commodore than Ford ever did with Falcon post AU. It's almost as though they got scared when the reception to AU turned into a hate fest. The powertrain guys had a field day with the Barra to the very end; the stylists were AWOL.

The AU IRS module was brilliant, let down by its sheer weight, the front end was just as good. The plans were to re-cast everything in alloy instead of steel; the B-series could have had underpinnings worthy of any large sedan in the world. It would have had driving dynamics the VE/VF would never match.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2024, 10:37 AM   #19
roKWiz
Cabover nut

When you think of it GMH really was the last to produce a true unibody ute.

Though a 1 tonner tray back would have been nice at the time like earlier versions.

Old 24-03-2024, 12:15 PM   #20
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
This forum being what it is fails to see how much more engineering GMH put into the VE-VF Commodore than Ford ever did with Falcon post AU. It's almost as though they got scared when the reception to AU turned into a hate fest. The powertrain guys had a field day with the Barra to the very end; the stylists were AWOL.

The AU IRS module was brilliant, let down by its sheer weight, the front end was just as good. The plans were to re-cast everything in alloy instead of steel; the B-series could have had underpinnings worthy of any large sedan in the world. It would have had driving dynamics the VE/VF would never match.
Weren’t the AU IRS the same as the as the S Type Jaguar, except the Jags was alloy…
Old 24-03-2024, 07:32 PM   #21
willo56

Quote:
Indeed

Lifelong Ford man here but decided a while back to dabble on the dark side also...

I've had several VE/VF/WN v8's now and as much as i love the falcon legacy , the VF Holdens were objectively as good as Australian made cars ever got imo...

In retrospect the Series II SSV Redline was a total steal at around 53k brand new - LS3, Tr6060 , 4 pot Brembo's all round , beefed up suspension, optional staggered 20's , electric sunroof , HUD and lots of other tech etc. - ...just an all round well balanced bang for buck performance package accessible to the masses...even the VF HSV muscle cars were a bargain compared to similar spec/performance euro 4 doors sedans - 160K for the smokeshow LS9 powered W1 at the time ?

End of an era for sure...
Previous :
1970 XYGT 351 Replica
1975 Falcon XBGS
1979 XD Fairmont Ghia 351
1982 XE Falcon Panelvan
1986 XF Falcon Ute
1988 EA Falcon
1995 EF Falcon
1997 Ford Explorer
2004 BA Falcon
2008 FG Falcon XR6 Turbo
2008 HSV VE Clubsport LS3
2008 Holden VE SS-V Ute
2011 FPV FG GT 335 #329
2013 Holden VF SS W310
2014 Holden VF SS-V Ute
willo56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2024, 09:45 PM   #22
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with a few of you, never liked the looks inside or out of the VE, but liked the VF. VE's front wheelarches were styled as if the sports models were the only thing sold, look at them on a base model and it's all wrong haha.

Those last SSV Redlines at that price, it makes todays entire (all of it) car market look like a cruel joke.
Old 24-03-2024, 09:49 PM   #23
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If I could turn back time I’d have prioritised buying one of these or a XR6t/FPV Ute when they were new. Knowing what a sorry state the new car market is these days.
Completely agree.
Old 24-03-2024, 11:16 PM   #24
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

The VY/VZ was really crisp and svelte by comparison. I agree totally.

When the VE HSV range came out Motor magazine said how dated the new range made the outgoing VZ look. I thought the opposite, the new VE made the VZ look better by comparison much better quality interior too.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2024, 11:18 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The thing that shit me with the VE was how the interior trims, they made the part that holds the clip way stronger than the rest of the trim, so even when they were new you'd have to be extremely careful how you pulled apart the interior or you'd destroy the trims really easily.

$1B car and we got trims from Wish

Its an end of an era but a new one is beginning - EVs are going to be the performance option.

Model 3 Long Range does 0-100 sub 5 seconds.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2024, 10:53 AM   #26
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Guilty as charged your Honour. 2 wheels, 4 wheels and 6+ wheels, love'em all. I bought a September 2017 WN Caprice V new, love it. It doesn't get used these days but it is a beautiful car indeed.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: