Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default The weathershield....

Hi there...

when the AU Falcon sits in heavy rain I noticed, that water seeps through the gap on the bottom side of the door panel....the gap between the door frame and the door panel and it then drips on that black kick panel .

The water obviously gets in through the weather sill ( the rubber ) and then runs and drips down inside the door. The majority of the water runs out where it suppose to run out...those drain holes.
Some of the water must seep through the holes where the door panels are clipped in and then just finds its way down .
The weather shield is not clued to the door frame because if you have to remove it for some maintenance work inside the door, you would damage it. i guess thats why Ford didn't glue it to the frame.

Has anybody experienced the same and figuered out a solution ?

I couldn't find anything through the search option here...

Thanks in advance for any clues...

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

pics pls to understand more ?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
pics pls to understand more ?

Hey Mr Hardware...

I know it sounds a little bit confusing...but I don't have a digicam at the moment.

Basically the water seeps through the gap of the door panel ( bottom side ) and drips on that black kick panel that you can see when the door is open ( the one that is screwed into the frame with three screws ).

I have to wait for the next rain and borough a cam....

The Moose
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

I think our Swedish friend means water is getting inside the door trim and dripping out the bottom onto the scuff plate. I haven't had it drip, but I noticed some rust around my speakers when I had my doors apart recently.

Moose, do you use a high pressure washer? I do so that could be forcing water past the seals. Will try to be more careful in future.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

If I have this right...

The strip between the window glass and the door is clipped in, not glued, some water will get through and drip into the door, it will drain out the bottom, some may land on ther plastic scuff plate

The rubbers around the door are held on by clips as well, it needs to be very heavy rain to get through these, unless you have a broken clip. Gently pull rubber and see if you can see one unclipped, if unclipped you can reclip rubber to clip by stretching the rubber, if rubber torn, you cant

All Normal, dont worry unless water is leaking INSIDE the car

A weathershield is the things that go around the window so you can have it down in the rain, like you see on taxis.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Scuff Plate:

Door Inside:

Weathershield:

The only place i get water when it rains real hard, between the weathershield and the window (still the outside of the car):
Old 13-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
urbancowboy

I think i know exactly what you mean! My XR8 does this!
It rains, water enters the door, between the glass and the rubber i think! and runs to the bottom internally, where it drain's, but not all of it! when you open the door the sill is wet and water (not much) runs off the sill, but more alarmingly water RUN'S out of the bottom of the door! and if the door you open is downhill it seems more of it empties out! All four of my doors do this! It's something i plan on addressing when my car is resprayed and will get as many new rubbers as it needs. Unfortunately for now though i don't have any ideas to solve it other than get new rubbers and see if that stops it!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
I think i know exactly what you mean! My XR8 does this!
It rains, water enters the door, between the glass and the rubber i think! and runs to the bottom internally, where it drain's, but not all of it! when you open the door the sill is wet and water (not much) runs off the sill, but more alarmingly water RUN'S out of the bottom of the door! and if the door you open is downhill it seems more of it empties out! All four of my doors do this! It's something i plan on addressing when my car is resprayed and will get as many new rubbers as it needs. Unfortunately for now though i don't have any ideas to solve it other than get new rubbers and see if that stops it!

Hi there,,

yes yes yes...thats what I meant....

I guess what happens is that the weathershield ( that foamy panel which sits in between the door panel and the actual door is not sitting tight enough because Ford hasn"t glued it to the door....which is smart because you would damage it if you have to take it off.

Yes..small water paddles are sitting on the black door sill ( sorry...I calles it kick panel last time )....

I was allways wondering...damn...where is that water coming from because the Ford has so many rubber gaskets...it shouldn't actually happen.

The majority of the water after a heavy rain is getting out of the two drain holes....it then drips on that loooooong rubber gasket which reaches from the front of the front door all the way back to the rear end of the rear door and then drips to the ground.....and thats how it suppose to be

BUT inside the door , the water runs down somewhere else ( water always finds weird tracks and ways ) and it must get al the way down to the door panel and then seeps out through that gap between the door panel and the metal...runs further down and then drips on to that black door sill ( thats why one screw is rusty...because of all that water ).

I have also no idea how to solve that...i might try those kind of foam adhesive gaskets ( for home doors...like a seal ) and stick them from inside the door arround all those openings. I might use blue tag or non corrosive silicone and put a bit on the holes where the rubber gaskets pop into the door.

Basically...I have to find a solution how to avoid water to run all the way down to the bottom of the door panel.....and thats a challenge...i might use some water and dye it to see, where it runs down.

If you use a water bottle and let water run thorough that gap between the window and the gasket which is clipped into the door, you can exactely make it happen . It takes about 30 minutes and there you go..there is you water paddle sitting on the door sill :

Well...I guess I"ll make up my mind and fiddle arround a bit and let anybody know...sometimes its not just about the big upgrades...sometimes it is about the little bits and pieces...

If you've got a working solution...let me know...

The Moose
Old 15-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Water gets in, water drains out

I cant see the big deal

There would be more water on the bottom of your shoes which you drag INSIDE the car on a wet day than you are worrying about.
Old 15-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
urbancowboy

It seems a bit excessive the amount of water that sits inside the door NOT draining until the door is opened and THAT is the problem! I think the rubbers are worn out and not sealing like they were when the car was new.

E.G. Some low life egged my car the other night, and i had to wash it at car lovers, and the egg didnt wash completely off after the drive thru!

So i had to wash it with the hot soap by hand using the gurney, Which filled the doors with heaps of water, then had to rinse, and when i opened the door to get back in the car (thinking id washed it all off) the sill was literally 5mm deep of water!

The water which came out the doors would've been about 150ml per door! then after work i noticed that it didn't wash all the egg of so i had to go back and wash it again and the same thing happened!

Cost $26 at car lovers all up, i'm filthy dirty about the car being egged, it has scratches in a circular shape where the egg shell exploded and sharp egg shell edges have cut into the paint! Plus the doors were filling up with water.
Old 15-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
skelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
I think our Swedish friend means water is getting inside the door trim and dripping out the bottom onto the scuff plate. I haven't had it drip, but I noticed some rust around my speakers when I had my doors apart recently.

Moose, do you use a high pressure washer? I do so that could be forcing water past the seals. Will try to be more careful in future.
yeah same, took out my speakers to put in some decent 6" and they has rust all up the side of them.

Also in the rain i also get water under the door on the plastic thing
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i remember correctly behind the door trim the door should be lined with a large sheet of plastic usually held in by body sealer that sticky messy crap, these things are getting a bit long in the tooth now and many have been pulled apart for new window regulators or to have speakers installed, some times they rip the plastic or don`t bother putting it back, perhaps this might be the case allowing water to be where it should`nt?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Newer cars have a foam insert thing not plastic, this can get wet too

If water is not draining out stick a screwdriver or something in the drain holes

Cowboy - I feel for ya getting egged is a regular thing with taxis, it stuffs the paint, no fixes available but repaint

About the only thing as bad is Bat crap

Clean gunk off ASAP but the shell chips the paint

A lot of the little angels have moved on to pegging rocks around here, think I prefer eggs, they got a cop car the other day so now they are taking it seriously. IMHO this should be attempted murder not a juvenile prank as the courts seem to see it.
Old 17-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
urbancowboy

Jastel,
Anything being thrown at a moving vehicle could theoretically strike the drive and render them unconscious thus causing a major life threatening accident, it should at least be attempted manslaughter!

My car was parked out on the street opposite my house when it got egged otherwise i would've chased them and served justice!

I do agree that bat ********** is bad but eggs are worse! I get bat ********** on my car every few weeks or so when i have to park in a spot under a certain tree opposite my house, because local neighbors visitors have taken my car park. The bat ********** washes off easy enough and to do real damage must be baked on for a few days, it does slightly stain the paint but if you wash it off within 24hrs and it doesn't get baked on in the sun its not so bad, Eggs on the other hand get egg shell scratches and gashes, egg yolk stains very quickly, especially if it is allowed to stay on the car through the heat of even a cool day! And it is hard to clean off. Fortunately for me in my case, it was egged late at night, and was washed off by 9am so it didn't get baked on, it was still gluggy (technical term!), it doesnt seem to have stained but does have egg shell scratching.

In order of most damaging i think it goes Eggs, Bat **********, Bird **********, and i've heard shaving cream can do damage too! but not sure what it does. Just that people don't put shaving cream on wedding cars anymore becasue it can damage the paint work.
Old 17-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #15
urbancowboy

seriously? The site replaced the letters S & h, i was using an ! instead of a i, and then t at the end... what about chit? what about **********( was same as the first word but with a e on the end)? what about ********( was a similar mean word starting with T? Sorry moderater's but i thought we were able to use these fecies word's!