Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Ba i6 intake on Au i6 works!

G'day all, well i've just fitted my Ba intake onto my i6 Au and i can verify that theres a definate improvement- throttle response is a little better, low down power improved and midrange is stronger (top end i suspect is better too but i wont flog my car that hard on public roads lol!).

It gets to the speed limit easier and i'm constantly checking my speedo because im getting there a little bit quicker! I made up a little air deflector also and it seems to contribute to the overall performance gain. Im not bothering with a hi flow air filter but will fit a xr8 snorkel down the track.

Of course the gain isnt huge but for about $65 so far its worth it for sure. Over the next couple of weeks i'll be keeping an eye on fuel consumption to see if theres an improvement there too- Hope at the least its the same! I recommend this mod for someone who's looking to keep things stock looking under the bonnet & a first step into modding their Au's.

Any other members who want to do it & needs some info, give me bell and i'll happily help them out!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Ba i6 intake on Au i6 works!

I agree

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I'm assuming we're just talking about the section from TB to airbox?
Old 31-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Me to
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 31-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
I'm assuming we're just talking about the section from TB to airbox?
Yes mate.

Uncle Ken, your set up is very nice, is that the stock air box inlet? Had it bored out? I just removed mine & used 3 inch pipe so if i need to i can return it all back to stock. Still deciding which way to go on the breather pipe though ie; location- front like ba or rear like au but probably will leave it all stock also.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 31-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Hi. So you need to mod the airbox end to take the BA piping? Any details on that? I like the sounds of it so far. Cheers

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Hi. So you need to mod the airbox end to take the BA piping? Any details on that? I like the sounds of it so far. Cheers
No, well kind of- what i did was to simply undo the 4 bolts that hold the restrictor to the airbox & remove it, get some 80mm downpipe (1 meter length from Bunnings), cut it to correct length (copy the restrictor that was removed but have enough length pipe to meet the ba concertina pipe & clamp), i then shaped a bellmouth by heating the cut pipe gradually (on the kitchen stove) then when hot enough pushed the pipe down on a appropriate sized bowl (that was turned upside down) until it was the desired bellmouth shape.

Then all you do is push the new pipe in the 80mm hole from inside the airbox until it meets the ba pipe & clamp. The thing is though the downpipe is slightly bigger than the hole in the airbox so you have to remove enough material ie sand the new cut pipe & airbox hole enough to make it fit, just make sure its a airtight fit if not a bit of silastic around the joint will make it airtight. Once all trial fitted and your happy with the result remove the new pipe and paint black, let dry and refit. Its not too hard and it can be all returned to stock. Do it mate its worth it!

cheers,Maka

Old 31-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka
Yes mate.

Uncle Ken, your set up is very nice, is that the stock air box inlet? Had it bored out? I just removed mine & used 3 inch pipe so if i need to i can return it all back to stock. Still deciding which way to go on the breather pipe though ie; location- front like ba or rear like au but probably will leave it all stock also.

cheers,Maka
Mate I have this. Lots of guys like keeping the trumpet so I did. Being LPG I added the backfire valve.

and

UK
Old 31-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Day-mow
rexnet

PVC melts. your best to get 90mm stainless cooler pipe from an auto shop/ebay and drill/hone/mill your airbox out to 90mm.

but most people knew this worked back ages ago.

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_107828/article.html
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Mate I have this. Lots of guys like keeping the trumpet so I did. Being LPG I added the backfire valve.
and

UK
Yeah i considered adding a trumpet but then i read somewhere that the trumpet only picks up the air from the area where the trumpet inlet is, where as the au setup i copied picks up the air more evenly across ther whole air filter.

cheers,Maka

Old 31-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
AU Mont
Banned

i tried the BA intake on my VCT AU with a 3" pipe coming from the airbox outlet, but it was pointing straight at the AC hose so i didnt worry about it
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
PVC melts. your best to get 90mm stainless cooler pipe from an auto shop/ebay and drill/hone/mill your airbox out to 90mm.

but most people knew this worked back ages ago.

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_107828/article.html

Thanks for the info Daymow, i kept mine at 80mm so it can be returned to stock- im not sure whether 90mm is too big ie: air velocity.
Ive had my setup installed since the weekend & theres no sign of melting yet, summer might be a different story though lol! Any documented reports of the pvc pipe melting at the airbox?

Ive read that autospeed article and then theres this - http://www.fordmods.com/post1223030.html Its well written & worth a look.
The reason for the heading was some members tried it and wasnt convinced there was a gain but because my car is serviced on time, well looked after and stock there was a good improvement.

cheers,Maka

Old 31-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
i tried the BA intake on my VCT AU with a 3" pipe coming from the airbox outlet, but it was pointing straight at the AC hose so i didnt worry about it
Yeah AU Mont i know what you mean- i had a look at that and determined that the pipe can be manipulated enough to make it fit plus the way the pipe/bellmouth sits in the air box, it can be aimed slightly away from the ac hose and not foul & still be airtight. If the ac hose starts to rub on the pipe eventually, i'll tape up the section where it rubs with some heatproof tape and it can rub on that. Seriously dont see too much of a issue with that.

cheers,Maka

Old 31-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

been there done that only down side os the induction sound dies :(
Old 31-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
been there done that only down side os the induction sund dies :(
POELWYK, no change for me! In fact it sounds a bit more beefier in the midrange! Ive got a stock exhaust though lol! Can you confirm you got a gain from installing a stock ba intake pipe?

cheers,Maka

Old 31-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
Day-mow
rexnet

I have a VCT and I use PVC. Over a period of time it melts.
That article has had extensive testing and 90mm creates no issues. I run 90mm stainless pipe no dramas.

The trumpet is a good and bad Idea IMO. If you can get cold air in behind the headlights it'll be awese. I'd assume winter time no dramas. In summer I'd also garentee you'd get heat soak. Also negative pressure and positive pressure are things to be kept in mind.
Arcon air boxers are awesome. Worth sussing.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Modified EF Airbox, AU VCT engine, 3" stainless steel pipe, std air filter and BA piping is the best combo I found, mainly because the EF upper will allow a 3" stainless steel pipe to just go straight in...
Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
I have a VCT and I use PVC. Over a period of time it melts.
That article has had extensive testing and 90mm creates no issues. I run 90mm stainless pipe no dramas.

The trumpet is a good and bad Idea IMO. If you can get cold air in behind the headlights it'll be awese. I'd assume winter time no dramas. In summer I'd also garentee you'd get heat soak. Also negative pressure and positive pressure are things to be kept in mind.
Arcon air boxers are awesome. Worth sussing.
The restrictor that come out had a bellmouth shape so i wanted to keep that design feature, My au is a futura and so no xr lights hence the air deflector. I spotted at autobahn a 80mm stainless steel pipe for $20 so yeah when my pvc pipe melts i'll grab one of those.

Thanks for the good info Day-Mo, but why is the trumpet a good/bad idea?
Isnt it proven that a bellmouth flows better than a non flared one? Is it due to where the bellmouth is placed? Just wondering thats all!

cheers,Maka

Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
AU Mont, just had another look and ive got a 6mm gap between the ac pipe and the concertina/induction pipe- theres a bracket just up ahead (towards the t/b) of the closest point between the ac pipe & induction pipe and you can bend it down a bit to get some clearance.

cheers,Maka

Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
POELWYK, no change for me! In fact it sounds a bit more beefier in the midrange! Ive got a stock exhaust though lol! Can you confirm you got a gain from installing a stock ba intake pipe?

cheers,Maka
it did give me better throttle response but matched with the G&d Airbox it worked like a god

heres a pic of what mine looked like

sorry for the bad pic but thats the only one i could find
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

G'day Poelwyk, your (old) setup looks orgaschmick lol! I'd love to know how much of a gain the G&D airbox would achieve on a stocker like mine
Those au 1 Fairmont grills look so classy mate!

ps, thanks to Poelwyk & Uncle Ken for posting the pictures of their setups

cheers,Maka

Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm all for modding , but if you can tell a 5hp difference by driving a car then you should be a test driver in f1 .....

Placebo does a lot of things . Not saying it to be rude , but it's hardly noticeable . 50 hp , easy to tell , gear changes , converters , easy . 1 intake pile change making that big a difference ......

Maybe I need to play with the AU

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
G'day Poelwyk, your (old) setup looks orgaschmick lol! I'd love to know how much of a gain the G&D airbox would achieve on a stocker like mine
Those au 1 Fairmont grills look so classy mate!

ps, thanks to Poelwyk & Uncle Ken for posting the pictures of their setups

cheers,Maka

thanks mate it could be yours for a low price..... lol have a look at the for sale link in my sig... i donno how much gains bu its worth it i have a vid of the car running ......

it was a S1 Fairmont

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_tJ...5&feature=plcp
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltrain79
I'm all for modding , but if you can tell a 5hp difference by driving a car then you should be a test driver in f1 ..... Not saying it to be rude [/B]Placebo does a lot of things , but it's hardly noticeable . 50 hp , easy to tell , gear changes , converters , easy . 1 intake pile change making that big a difference ......
Maybe I need to play with the AU
If you can get me a job driving at Red Bull i wont let you down honest! yeah I used to have a 9 second honda road bike (that also had a ram air setup years ago) & heaps of mx bikes 125 -500 2strokes, 4 strokes & v8's you name it and yes i think i can tell a 5 hp difference but i'll put it to you this way, you get more performance with the ba intake than putting ultimate/v power into ya stock car lol! 3kw/5 hp at a stand still, factor in a well placed air deflecter and at speed yes, a noticable seat of the pants gain and with my air deflector/feed kind of feeding cold air directly into the snorkel....it works.

You never know until you have a go! spend the $100 bucks & find out lol!

No offence taken at all mate lol!

cheers,Maka

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
thanks mate it could be yours for a low price..... lol have a look at the for sale link in my sig... i donno how much gains bu its worth it i have a vid of the car running ......

it was a S1 Fairmont

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_tJ...5&feature=plcp
Thanks for the kind offer but ive just put in a offer in for some extractors atm, probably kinda out of my price range anyway sorry mate.

cheers,Maka

Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
I'm all for modding , but if you can tell a 5hp difference by driving a car then you should be a test driver in f1 .....
believe it or not on some cars playing with the whole intake can make a very NOTICABLE difference

i remember i did the BA intake mod on one of my falcons, along with a K'N pod and custom airbox, and when i sold it off and fitted the original setup (reverted car to stock to help resale) the difference was as clear as day....... at higher revs it lacked that "urge" compared to the modded intake
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For sure , was a bit of tongue in cheek taken well by the op

I had a built 4l in the late 90's early 2000 runnin 14.0 at the old track in an EA ... A well built intake compared to the ea setup was worth almost 0.5 over the quarter on the modded setup , and 2tenths when factory ! Stock 5 speed EA went 16.3 back in the day . Not bad for a nugget .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #28
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
The restrictor that come out had a bellmouth shape so i wanted to keep that design feature, My au is a futura and so no xr lights hence the air deflector. I spotted at autobahn a 80mm stainless steel pipe for $20 so yeah when my pvc pipe melts i'll grab one of those.

Thanks for the good info Day-Mo, but why is the trumpet a good/bad idea?
Isnt it proven that a bellmouth flows better than a non flared one? Is it due to where the bellmouth is placed? Just wondering thats all!

cheers,Maka
Bellmouth is good. I agreed with this. I'm not 100% sold on the trumpet. How ever I just have a pod sitting behind my headlight with a deflector shield in there and it still feels snappy so I'm happy.
What you need to think about ultimately is if your sucking in hot or cold air.

If you sus my car thread there's a few CAI set ups in there.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

No worries mate i'll take a look, thanks.

cheers,Maka

Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
For sure , was a bit of tongue in cheek taken well by the op

I had a built 4l in the late 90's early 2000 runnin 14.0 at the old track in an EA ... A well built intake compared to the ea setup was worth almost 0.5 over the quarter on the modded setup , and 2tenths when factory ! Stock 5 speed EA went 16.3 back in the day . Not bad for a nugget .
Dieseltrain79, according to a all purpose online quarter mile calculator (which is apparently 95% accurate), 1/10 of a second = 10hp or a 100lb/45.3kg weight reduction. Even when calculated at 10hp x 95%, hp is 9.5 hp (wfo)- so if im correct your 2/10's over stock set up =19 hp/14.1kw (wfo). With your worked motor, 0.47sec = 44.6hp/33.2kw gain (wfo). I know for that outcome you would need perfect conditions though (cold dense air) but WOW those numbers are nice considering the outlay for your cai! I know my numbers are theoretical and probably not that accurate but still the numbers are food for thought lol.

p,s- for those who dont know what wfo means, its wound flat out (full throttle).

cheers,Maka

Last edited by Maka; 03-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.