Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Nolz

Default LW Diesel Sport CAT/DPF back exhaust.

So it's happened, deep down I knew it would but I did try to convince myself that it would only be a visit to 'discuss' options.

Dropped into Hitech mufflers first thing on Saturday morning (have had work done there previously) and put the car up on the hoist and had a look. For the most part the stock system isn't such a bad thing, the piping is clean and without any unnecessary bends or squashed sections, welds are reasonable for a factory system. The biggest restriction being the rear muffler (not touching the CAT or DPF at this stage).

So off with the stock system a couple inches down from the DPF and we fire her up. Holy cow! It's dead set sexy as it is, a nice note a very sporty tone only that it's a touch loud for my liking. That being said I'm sure there would be many that would say that it's too quiet.

So on with a 2.5" SS system (stock diamter is slightly smaller...didn't get exact dimension sorry) with a smaller straight through unit on the rear just to ensure that there would be no drone and that it stayed quiet.

Total cost is a bit over $800 which is expensive...you'd probably get away with half the price for mild steel at any run of the mill shop, or even less! However I was more concerned with it NOT going to plan and I knew hitech would deal with any problems that may arise.

Speaking of NOT going to plan.....Was loving the new very subtle exhaust note when all of a sudden it got LOUD (by my standards) and for the life of me I couldn't understand why. I watched them do the work so I knew for a fact that there were no leaks and that nothing physically was wrong with the exhaust. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the DPF was undergoing its regeneration at the time. The extra volume lasted <10min and returned to normal but it was noticably louder and had me worried.
I had just hit 1000km when I got there and I've read that in 'normal' driving conditions the DPF regen's at roughly 500km intervals. I'll let the boys at hitech know about the extra volume but will have to wait another 500km's or so to see if it happens again. Very curious to see/hear whats goin on there.

A look at the quality. Have a look at that for a weld!

Lastly a vid of it as I got home. Will post up another once it gets a little carbon built up and settles in.
http://youtu.be/XpTrnOPMKdA

Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
makattkd
RallyNav

Default Re: LW Diesel Sport CAT/DPF back exhaust.

Craving a vid of it loaded up/on boost!
makattkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
sysh
A few screw loose

Default Re: LW Diesel Sport CAT/DPF back exhaust.

.. you're such a tease, Nolz. I'll try not to give in to this poison..heh!
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post