Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-10-2024, 08:59 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Career Change at 52

So here is the spiel.... 52 years of age, been in IT for over 25 years. The last 8 years in senior management / sales and the 8 before that in straight sales.

Guess what? I don't enjoy it and haven't enjoyed it for the last 2 or 3 years.

Am I crazy to think that I need a change of scenery? Like a change of industry. I've always been drawn to building industry, particularly in the last 7 or 8 years.

I've done a lot of contract negotiation, project management, general management and leadership which I have been told is strongly required in building and construction management.

Thoughts are to do a course in Building and Construction Management and to try and get into the industry with construction management, project management, site manager etc.

Am I out of my mind? But I am quite unhappy what I'm doing now.....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2024, 09:23 PM   #2
Trendseeker

Default Re: Career Change at 52

Good luck. The construction industry will be a lot tougher than IT, but you can always come back if it doesn’t work out. If you’ve been working in IT sales management and straight sales before that I can understand why you’d want to change. The pressure to hit your targets is intense and continues to build year on year. Eight years is a good run. I’ve worked with the people in those roles off and on for many years.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Building trades qualified would be a huge start, then moving into the management side.

There's so much more involved than completing a courses.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give yourself a time frame, say 6 months.
Dont limit yourself to just building.
Could you survive on a salary drop? explore other fields.

I was in similar position 26 years ago, abit not as high pressure but took a seachange, bought into a rundown business, built that up, sold, established a very specilised business (with no competition) sold that, became a camp manager, then finally retired. But hell do I have itchy feet again.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

The only tip I can offer is take leave for a while and try your hand, if you change your mind, you can always go back to your job.

Obtw, I have done three career changes in my life, one of them I was like you and had no regrets moving on, just think it out carefully before you commit.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 01:42 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think it would be fraught to seek oversight positions without protracted exposure to most trades, and a little skill in each.

What about scaling back the current workload if possible, and simultaneously building new houses to flip as an owner-builder? That retains continuity of bulk income, offers on-the-job training in other skills and brings a modest return for effort on the side. Pick a low crime regional town <5 hours away and within an hour or so of a Big Green Shed.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post