Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 29-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Default Apparently Australians are too skinny

More than 18 months after its release in the States, KFC double down has made the trip down under

Original thread -
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11270710

Article -
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...e-double-down/

Only available for 4 weeks and 6 weeks in Tassie so get in quick.

But on a more serious level, this does bring to light the issue of corporate responsibility when it comes to the domestic issues Australia faces in regards to not only childhood obesity, be obesity in general. Is the solution education or just to ban amazingly unhealthy, salivation inducing food?

Old 29-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default Re: Apparently Australians are too skinny

I'm so bloody hungry now!!!!
Old 29-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Phwoar! I havent seen those around here yet. I cant wait to try one
Old 29-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Don't see how it's worse than anything else on their menu. No carbs for a start and it's the same amount of chicken as a two piece feed?

Still, I won't eat it...KFC is no good anyway.

Oo\===/oO
Old 29-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

might get one tonight... got a VIP before public thing off my bro to try one today (available tomorrow in vic)...

see how the night pans out.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Things like this shouldn't be banned. It's easy really. If you believe they are unhealthy and don't like them, don't eat it. I myself work out every day, so I can get away with eating it every now and then. Why should I miss out because of the ones who can't say no, weak parents, the lazy and the do gooders...?

Damn it I'm going to get one now...
Old 29-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
But on a more serious level, this does bring to light the issue of corporate responsibility when it comes to the domestic issues Australia faces in regards to not only childhood obesity, be obesity in general. Is the solution education or just to ban amazingly unhealthy, salivation inducing food?
The nutrition information is easily obtainable - it comes down to personal choice. I wouldn't want to be deprived of something I would eat very occasionally because someone else can't moderate their calorie intake.

It comes down to the parents teaching their children how to make healthy choices. Nothing wrong with eating something decadent in moderation provided it's not always at the expense of healthy and balanced meals. I just downed a Maxibon but that was after a dish of soba noodles, tofu, assorted vegetables and lean pork in a sauce made from soybean paste - which was very yummy.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
My32Doors

People have become too lazy to prepare good food nowadays. And don't tell me that there's no time to prepare it! Takes just as much time to get in the car, drive to one of these establishments, order the food and wait to receive it as it does to prepare it yourself.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
It is duty of care of a parent to not feed your kids crap.............

great on a billboard does nothing to satisfy my tastebuds......

Old 29-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

they had the basic nutritional info in the herald sun today, was far better for you then a hungry jacks ultimate wopper and about on par with a bigmac from memory

now i havent seen the full nutritional info but it seems more like a case of people jumping the gun
Old 29-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCav
far better for you then a hungry jacks ultimate wopper and about on par with a bigmac from memory
I volunteer my time to try all three and report back
Old 29-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You think a single person would not be at least slightly aware of what they are ingesting when they purchase this? When you hold corporations responsible (even in part) for obesity then you deem yourself (or others) irresponsible and uncontrollably impulsive. Corporations are scapegoats for those who refuse to accept the reality that they are solely to blame for their gluttonous over-indulging behaviour.

What makes it worse is the Government listens to these ignorant few and punishes the rest by slowly diminishing our freedom of choice. The food industry is just one example of many (being a forum of car enthusiasts we already know plenty more).

Oh and on the burger; I'll give it a go.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
You think a single person would not be at least slightly aware of what they are ingesting when they purchase this? When you hold corporations responsible (even in part) for obesity then you deem yourself (or others) irresponsible and uncontrollably impulsive. Corporations are scapegoats for those who refuse to accept the reality that they are solely to blame for their gluttonous over-indulging behaviour.

What makes it worse is the Government listens to these ignorant few and punishes the rest by slowly diminishing our freedom of choice. The food industry is just one example of many (being a forum of car enthusiasts we already know plenty more).

Let's put the issue of personal responsibility aside for the moment and just consider whether KFC should even put something of this nature on the market. By this I mean, though most people can moderate what that eat, should something with the stats that this thing has be consumed by anybody at all?

On a side note, just had one.... delicious. But nothing will prepare you for the guilt you feel afterwards. Very heavy and very expensive.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How expensive we talking here?
Old 29-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man that thing looks good. im gunna eat 2 with a longneck of VB and then follow it all with a peter jackson virginia for dessert. now thats a happy meal.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
How expensive we talking here?
$8.20 and like $3 more for a meal
Old 29-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Let's put the issue of personal responsibility aside for the moment and just consider whether KFC should even put something of this nature on the market. By this I mean, though most people can moderate what that eat, should something with the stats that this thing has be consumed by anybody at all?

On a side note, just had one.... delicious. But nothing will prepare you for the guilt you feel afterwards. Very heavy and very expensive.
You can't put personal responsibility aside at all, that is the point. If you try this burger once or twice it will have almost no (very minute at most) detrimental effects on your health.

Anyway glad to hear it is tasty, hopefully I get to try one before it is pulled from the market.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill try it.

fat foods should not be banned. If someone is fat from eating crap food, then that's their fault, not the food.

They could always just eat healthy and work out. But they are to lazy to work out and have no self control to eat proper things. No ones fault but their own.

I know people will bring out the line "some people can't help being overweight" Yeah I know that. I am not talking about them Im talking about the people who are like
"I know I am putting on weight, but I like this food and I can't be bothered to work out either I have no time"
If you cared so much about this situation you would do something about it instead of just complaining.

So yeah let me eat what I like, I can control myself.

/RANT

Last edited by Ben73; 29-03-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqkSXBx-_o

enough said... (caution, mature audiences only)
Old 29-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Everyone has the right to eat what ever they like. If their too fat and lazy to work it off, stiff bikkies to the wowsers.

Now anyone that has a few kilos they want to get rid of, I'm more than willing to take them. For the life of me, stuffed if I can put on weight, even after eating maccas, KFC or Hungry jacks and all that lovely fattening food

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 29-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Nothing beats the Zinger Tower Burger!
Old 29-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
Kryton

Once again, ****poor journalism (sensationalism).

Lets not get too carried away with 'gut busting' B.S and words like 'unhealthy', 'saturated in fat' etc etc.

If anyone read the Herald Sun, you too would have seen this:
This burger has the same amount kilojoules as:
2 packets of plain Smiths chips
1.8 mars bars
1.5 packets of Nobbys salted peanuts
0.45 packets of Tim Tams.

Now, burger comparison:

Hungry Jacks Ultimate Double Whopper:
Kj: 5085
Total Fat: 80.5g
Saturated fat: 32.1g

Big Mac:
Kj: 2060
Total fat: 26.9g
Saturated fat: 10.6

KFC Double Down Burger:
Kj: 1939
Total fat: 22.3g
Saturated fat: 12.3g

So as you can see for yourself, its healthier than a plain old Big Mac
Worth the media hype and sensationism that it is receiving - i hardly think so.
Good free publicity though.
Old 29-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST

I'm sipping on a (corporate brewed) beer at the moment ,so I won't be too earnest, but lets not forget why corporations are just that.... they prey on the foibles and weaknesses of many people.Tell someone what a Maccas feedlot in the Brazilian jungle is, and they will wonder how so many poor but seemingly autonomous people could be taken for such a ride by a corporation.
Corporations survive, and thrive, on the basis that most people actually do have (figuratively speaking) gluttonous, over-indulging behaviours in one shape or another. I am always a little dismayed when individuals defend corporations... they all have huge machines to do this for them!! (for the record, I don't "do" the usual suspects,(Maccas, KFC et al) but I'm not immune by being taken by other global "manipulators" once in a while.
Old 29-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
More than 18 months after its release in the States, KFC double down has made the trip down under

Original thread -
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11270710

Article -
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...e-double-down/

Only available for 4 weeks and 6 weeks in Tassie so get in quick.

Having worked for them a little while 30 odd years ago I have not and will never ever eat dead duck again
Old 29-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
I'm sipping on a (corporate brewed) beer at the moment ,so I won't be too earnest, but lets not forget why corporations are just that.... they prey on the foibles and weaknesses of many people.Tell someone what a Maccas feedlot in the Brazilian jungle is, and they will wonder how so many poor but seemingly autonomous people could be taken for such a ride by a corporation.
Corporations survive, and thrive, on the basis that most people actually do have (figuratively speaking) gluttonous, over-indulging behaviours in one shape or another. I am always a little dismayed when individuals defend corporations... they all have huge machines to do this for them!! (for the record, I don't "do" the usual suspects,(Maccas, KFC et al) but I'm not immune by being taken by other global "manipulators" once in a while.
They prey on the ignorant and mindless you mean? If you think I am defending corporations you have completely misinterpreted my post and main contention - I am defending you.
Old 29-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #26
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heart attack in a bun.
I'll pass.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #27
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
They prey on the ignorant and mindless you mean? If you think I am defending corporations you have completely misinterpreted my post and main contention - I am defending you.
No, I don't mean "They prey on the ignorant and mindless",....I mean what I said, "they prey on the foibles and weaknesses of many"....big difference,.... difference that defenders of corporations cannot readily discern, (including those formulating policy, who get a big boost from corporate backing)
I rememember a story from quite a few years back where BAE(or possibly the French equivalent) had a plan to use developing technology to project advertising onto clouds, and the advertiser was Maccas.. golden arches all over Grandpa Bunny Bunnys' sunset. The same corporation is on record as saying when the first extra terrestrial restaraunt is established it will be "us".

Some corporations have a legislated mandate to improve their product (see sulphur/benzene reduced fuels, ADR compliance in new cars, ANCAP ratings, to name a couple in the automotive industry) , but most see the way forward in generating profit comes from convincing people that they need a given product...and if the machine is big enough, they will in fact convince people that they have a genuine desire to be sold something.

(ps ....I'm old enough and silly enough not to need defending by anyone on a motoring forum).
Old 29-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #28
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I just ate the zinger version, but I removed one piece of cheese and put a little mayo instead of hot sauce. OMG I am dying. Seriously I am sitting here sweating and I can feel my heart struggling to pump the fat through lol. I won't buy another one that's for sure, but it was tasty. Didn't help I had a hotdog for dinner tonight and then saw the ad and made the stupid decision to get one whilst getting fuel just before.

I am one of those idotic people who gets sucked in. I have been bloody good and stayed away from fast food lately, but I just couldn't resist the temptation to try one.

Last edited by Spudz27; 29-03-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 29-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #29
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
No, I don't mean "They prey on the ignorant and mindless",....I mean what I said, "they prey on the foibles and weaknesses of many"....big difference,.... difference that defenders of corporations cannot readily discern, (including those formulating policy, who get a big boost from corporate backing)
I rememember a story from quite a few years back where BAE(or possibly the French equivalent) had a plan to use developing technology to project advertising onto clouds, and the advertiser was Maccas.. golden arches all over Grandpa Bunny Bunnys' sunset. The same corporation is on record as saying when the first extra terrestrial restaraunt is established it will be "us".

Some corporations have a legislated mandate to improve their product (see sulphur/benzene reduced fuels, ADR compliance in new cars, ANCAP ratings, to name a couple in the automotive industry) , but most see the way forward in generating profit comes from convincing people that they need a given product...and if the machine is big enough, they will in fact convince people that they have a genuine desire to be sold something.

(ps ....I'm old enough and silly enough not to need defending by anyone on a motoring forum).
"They prey on the ignorant and mindless you mean?" was very much tongue in cheek bait. That last sentence in brackets tells me once again you still haven't understood my most basic fundamental point.
Old 30-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The average BBQ wouldn't be any better...

Sheesh...
Just media at it again and we get all wizzy about it..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Closed Thread