Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Efficient ways of making a car unstealable?

Hi all.
So I live in a pretty rough neighbourhood, break ins and thefts happen pretty much every night. Cars are starting to get stolen often aswell. Sometimes older ones, but lately a lot of new, even high end cars are getting stolen. Every night I block in the girlfriends new car, and puel the fuel pump relay out of the ute. I figure Ill hear it cranking and catch someone. Is there any better way though to secure a car through a series of kill switches?

I was thinking a hidden on-on switch with off in the middle. Push it the right way and it enables the fuel pump relay, push it the wrong way and it latches the horn on until you turn the key to ACC. I would like to back this up by a momentary push button inline with the starter solenoid. Would I be wasting my time? Anyone got better ideas? Apparently steering locks are pointless.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Efficient ways of making a car unstealable?

That's what insurance is for. Over insure if possible and forget about any theft prevention measures. If someone wants your car that badly, they will take it.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Some guys nowadays are using tow trucks.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
If someone wants your car that badly, they will take it.
What a load of rubbish.

If you are proactive to prevent theft no one will take it, people stealing stuff are looking for an easy job unless your car is a one off and they are professional thief's hired to take the car.

If you live in a rough neighbourhood, often just locking the car and having a red flashing light on your dash will stop 90% of thieves as they will move on to the next car that does not have a flashing light.

Joyriders and junkies do not use tow trucks to steal cars either.

We are not dealing with professional car thieves, most likely we are dealing with kids stealing cars for a joy ride.

I remember living in a townhouse in a rough neighbourhood, and every single townhouse unit in our complex got broken into, some several times, mine never did, the only difference between our unit and the others was that we had alarm stickers on every entry point.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Keep a pet snake in the car. It doesn't need to be venomous to keep people away :-) It will keep all the rodents out.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
What a load of rubbish.

If you are proactive to prevent theft no one will take it, people stealing stuff are looking for an easy job unless your car is a one off and they are professional thief's hired to take the car.

If you live in a rough neighbourhood, often just locking the car and having a red flashing light on your dash will stop 90% of thieves as they will move on to the next car that does not have a flashing light.

Joyriders and junkies do not use tow trucks to steal cars either.

We are not dealing with professional car thieves, most likely we are dealing with kids stealing cars for a joy ride.
I had a R32 Skyline (non-turbo) stolen from the factory sitting behind a 10ft high fence whilst chained to an immovable bollard. So yes, if a thief wants a car badly enough, he will take it.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had a R32 Skyline (non-turbo) stolen from the factory sitting behind a 10ft high fence whilst chained to an immovable bollard. So yes, if a thief wants a car badly enough, he will take it.
Yes, there is always a story like this, but really it smells of BS, why was that car chained up like that?? I have never in my life seen a car chained up like that to a bollard, may be that is the problem. So is your current car chained to a bollard right now?? if not why not??

When ever this comes up, there is someone who had a Datsun 180b stolen out of an underground bunker, surrounded by a moat filled with crocodiles and starving piranhas and 20 CCTV cameras and armed body guards with killer dogs, yet in disappeared into thin air.

Yet you will find that 99.99% of cars stolen were never locked to a bollard behind a 10 foot fence, and you will find that most cars that were stolen were not even locked, and many were taken as they were easy targets often with keys left in the car or left in plain sight.

Simply locking the car will stop most car thefts, adding a kill switch will reduce your chances of having a car stolen to almost zero.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Yes, there is always a story like this, but really it smells of BS, why was that car chained up like that?? I have never in my life seen a car chained up like that to a bollard, may be that is the problem. So is your current car chained to a bollard right now?? if not why not??

When ever this comes up, there is someone who had a Datsun 180b stolen out of an underground bunker, surrounded by a moat filled with crocodiles and starving piranhas and 20 CCTV cameras and armed body guards with killer dogs, yet in disappeared into thin air.

Yet you will find that 99.99% of cars stolen were never locked to a bollard behind a 10 foot fence, and you will find that most cars that were stolen were not even locked, and many were taken as they were easy targets often with keys left in the car or left in plain sight.

Simply locking the car will stop most car thefts, adding a kill switch will reduce your chances of having a car stolen to almost zero.
I was overseas for a while and leaving it at the house was not an option as I lived in a less than desirable area at the time. Naively I thought I'd lock it within the factory grounds and it would be safe. The car wasn't anything special, but someone wanted it enough to take it in the manner that they did.

But I do agree with you, to stop the dumb kids or joyrider (and thus 95% of the thieves), simply locking the car is enough.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
brentnz
Starter Motor

Can you install a removable bollard in the driveway?
brentnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Efficient and Un-stealabe in the same sentence doesnt work unless there is a not, no, or wont in front of those words some where.

The thing these days is to break in to your house, take your laptop, ipad, phone, other stuff, take your car keys then drive off with the car.

Or they will vandalise it out of anger.

Whether they win or lose, either way, you lose.

While I hate to be the pessimist, that is the reality these days.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy an aurion - you'll be hoping it gets stolen.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

My first XW-GT was stolen from my locked garage, pushed up the driveway and gone.

I'm eagerly waiting for resident expert proclaiming to the world that my story is BS too
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As people have said, if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. But in saying that a stock standard cars are not usually taken by your everyday junkie. One example why a standard car is stolen, is for a dodgy panel beater who will use the stolen car to fix another car. You would be surprised how often it happens.

Few things you can do, install bollards, lock car up In a garage, behind a fence, park a car in front of it etc. you also can fit gps and mobile trackers etc, but these are all just deternts.

Best thing you can do is insure your car properly, and hope no one steals it.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bollards not really an option, either is comprehensive insurance (24years old + modified V8 ute). Id rather catch someone in the act to be honest, or at least know that they tried and failed.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

And if they can't steal it they will likely take out their frustration by vandalising it.

In the 70's I kept having problems with someone stealing my Cibie driving lights from the parking area near a nightclub I frequented. I thought I was clever by putting some safety razor blades under the nuts (like a washer) that retained the lights and weren't readily visible. I figured that after the had loosened them of with a spanner they would use their fingers to take the nuts off and they would cut their finger tips on the razor blade. Well it sort of worked. I came back to find blood everywhere and the lights were still there; but they had broken all my lights; driving lights, headlights and taillights and attacked the mirrors. These days they probably would have taken legal action against me too.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #16
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
Buy an aurion - you'll be hoping it gets stolen.
By a member on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Few things you can do, install bollards, lock car up In a garage, behind a fence, park a car in front of it etc. you also can fit gps and mobile trackers etc, but these are all just deternts.
Thats all they are.

GPS is not all its cracked up to be. If they do get to your car, the GPS tracking is spotty at best, and if they are professional's they no doubt have their workshop lined with an insulating cage to prevent signal coming in or going out.

And even if you are able to track it, you cant just rock up to the cop shop, proclaim your car has been stolen and get them to just kick the door down to where you say it is.

They dont have the power to do that.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Bollards not really an option, either is comprehensive insurance (24years old + modified V8 ute). Id rather catch someone in the act to be honest, or at least know that they tried and failed.
9 times out of 10, you will not hear anything. Car will be long gone before you find it missing.

Not hard to open the door, push cars out the way and down the street. Then the car is gone.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #18
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Sorry to say it, but if you can't afford to insure it, you shouldn't be driving it. What about third party, fire and theft insurance?
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
HULK_I6T
Banned

What happened to the old krooklok?

What about those ebay wheel clamps?
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
Spurious

Quote:
Sorry to say it, but if you can't afford to insure it, you shouldn't be driving it. What about third party, fire and theft insurance?
So long as it's registered, he has TPI cover.
Having full comprehensive or other cover is an option.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #21
Spurious

You pretty much answered your own question mate.
Just pull the fuel relay or an internal ignition/fuel or starter motor fuse.
It'll take 10 seconds out of your day, for your piece of mind.

If you're seriously worried about your car, just be proactive in protecting it.

A few visual deterants usually does the job. Ie: club steering wheel lock, flashing LED's etc.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #22
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6AUII? View Post
Not sure which state you're in, but in Victoria, there is one registration fee payable. It constitutes a registration fee and a TAC (Transport Accident Commission) insurance premium for no-fault medical cover for victims of road trauma. It does not cover third party property at all.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #23
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Master cut off switch with removable key. Preferably hidden out of sight.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1464
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Could you elaborate on this please ?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #25
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

TPI, 3rd party insurance, Compulsory 3rd party or Greenslip what ever each state calls it, only covers injured persons not property.

Third party fire and theft is a different insurance and is a step down from full comprehensive insurance.
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #26
towtaltowing

best way is to not post your Securing ways online ..
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #27
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Stops most thieves.

Last edited by marty351; 29-03-2017 at 02:11 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #28
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Driving an uninsured car is very risky. Hit a high end car and be paying for it the rest of your life....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #29
Bulletime

Park it under a street light or spot light in the driveway, put up fake, or real, surveillance cameras all as a deterrent.
Bulletime is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #30
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Add a wireless receiver to your home alarm system, and put wireless reed switches in the doors of the car. Park the car close enough to the house to be in range and program the reed switches to activate a silent perimeter alarm in the house if opened during the night.
Greet all visitors with a smile and a Baseball Bat that open the Door of the Car.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: