Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Home Security Systems

Hi all,

After some knowledgeable advice from those in the know (again!).

As a result of an increase in chances of less than desirable people in our area, we have been considering a home security system (cameras) for a while. However, last week we had evidence that someone had been in our back yard and had entered our shed. Luckily nothing was taken.

But, it did put the wind up both my daughter and SWMBO.

So, SWMBO is keen to get a system installed. I did some research of these systems (eg Swann) some time back, and the thing that put me off was that a power source (socket outlet) was needed nearby to where each camera was going to be placed to power it. This requirement would obviously add a fair amount to the overall price for installation, depending on the number of cameras you install and the placement of those.

I found it surprising in this day and age that the systems did not utilise the one single cable providing the video signal back to the base unit to also carry the power requirements for the camera.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a system whereby each individual does not need to source its power from a nearby socket outlet? During my research, it was amazing how many times you read that the cameras are "wireless" but when you read the specs, it is the video feed that they are referring to and not the power supply I'd be happy to pay a little extra to get a system like this than have to worry about installing additional socket outlets all over the house.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Home Security Systems

Get a pro to go through it with you.

And for goodness sake get decent cameras that can make out a face or a number plate.

A neighbor was broken into and all we could make out was that it was a white Holden duel cab ute with a yellow plate.

Couldn't make out the plate nor the face even with a plethora of cameras right around where they broke in. Waste of money.....

If you are going to spend money make sure it will go to good use some day.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you get the next series up in swann they are powered over the ethernet cable so you only have to have the one cable unless you get the cameras that can move and zoom
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

If you are looking at an alarm system (I know you said cameras) which has an auto dialer (phone line to call out) get a mode 3 socket installed to the first socket or get it wired before the first phone socket (check the a2a first on legalities) because that will isolate the phone line and dial out, as opposed to a theif simply taking a phone off the hook to block the line to the system. Any competent security installer would do it out of instinct, but it's something to think about
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used a Swann in my old house and the only power it needed was to power up the DVR.
The camera run through coaxial cable back to the DVR.
You also ran a ethernet cable to the DVR which allowed you to view on your smart phone or table. Easy to install yourself. When I sold the house i took the system with me.

I have now changed systems and going with IP cameras 3/4MP running CAT6 cable.
This time I'm leaving it up to the pros. Yes it's costing me more but viewing guilty will be worth it
ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My mate has installed these at his place - it all runs off POE, and image clarity is excellent:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hitek-2X-...-/321900784451

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4CH-960H-...-/321697211964

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121657171...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You just need some CAT6 cable to hook it all up.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

POE, power over ethernet
Ran the cat 6 cable myself
Had the pro come in with a system and connect.
Saved 3k
Got one with 3tb hard drive and 8 cams
Records between 4 weeks to 2 months depending on settings.
(Surprising how handy thay is when step daughter tells tall stories)
Can spot the Mrs coming home across the park (5 houses away), great night vision also.
Or can expand the view/vision and read what the kids are !!!!!
Still, it cost $4,500. Name escapes me
Advice, needs to be accessible to you, not others (behind a locked door/cupboard
Get a battery back up (if they turn off your power you record 0 ! )
Old 11-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Get a pro to go through it with you.

And for goodness sake get decent cameras that can make out a face or a number plate.

A neighbor was broken into and all we could make out was that it was a white Holden duel cab ute with a yellow plate.

Couldn't make out the plate nor the face even with a plethora of cameras right around where they broke in. Waste of money.....

If you are going to spend money make sure it will go to good use some day.
Agreed, you need faces and rego plates, no point just having a big open lens capturing a dark figure walking around.