Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Den76
Phantom cruiser

Default Lane Changing

What is going on?
Why are some motorists not indicating when they are changing lanes? :
Is it because some motorists are being lazy.

Whats happens in a accident scenario who is at fault and how to prove what happened.

Its not hard to flick the indicator on to warn other drives that you are wanting to change lanes especially on a freeway or highway.

Interested in other peoples thoughts.

Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
john3136

I just kind of assumed they made indicators optional extras on new cars, and most people didn't pay for them...

The other one getting up my nose at the moment: I think there was a misprint in the learn to drive manual. it should have said "Do not drive in someone's blind spot"
john3136 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

What makes you think either of those issues is new to the road, strewth, morons have been lane swapping without indicators since multiple lanes were invented and hiding in the blind spot is almost a national sport, hahaha.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
barra265t
Banned

Try driving in Asia, cars swerve into lanes with no warning and everyone drives with their bumpers and side mirrors nearly touching. Makes us Aussies look courteous.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

Not indicating doesn't cause any problems, speeding is the only cause of problems on the roads. Lets get more multinovas and lower speed limits.
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Using indicators in BMW's void's warranty....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Bobman
Regulator

What about people who put indicators on to turn into a street that you're coming out of but don't actually turn in there and turn in the next one?

Just as stupid.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Australian Road Rules are only suggestions anyway...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Simple, people are selfish and inconsiderate.
Now with all the distractions in their cars such as GPS's and IPOD's and DVD players/head units; people are nothing short of oblivious to the safety of those around them. Further, as scienticians have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that society is getting dumber and dumber by the day; the intellectual capacity of your average motorist is already overloaded just trying to breathe let alone command a vehicle.

Think along the lines of rubbing your head and gut at the same time. Most can't do it as they simply don't have the mental capacity.
That and every phallus stoking twat thinks they're playing 2Fast2Furious the home game and suburban streets are just their race track; obviously the transition between a computer generated image and reality is too much for some.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see people all the time not use indicators.
I told Mum that if I could shoot every car that didn't use an indicator, I couldn't afford the ammo.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

back in the 80s my brother got a ticket for not indicating lane change. then he found out his indicator system had entirely failed.
Old 21-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
Bobman
Regulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOO39wyKK4

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den76
What is going on?
Why are some motorists not indicating when they are changing lanes? :
Its not hard to flick the indicator on to warn other drives that you are wanting to change lanes especially on a freeway or highway..
I'd say the majority of those that do indicate, easily greater than 50% of all motorists, only put them on as they change lanes, not a few seconds before.

Why bother indicating then?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I'd say the majority of those that do indicate, easily greater than 50% of all motorists, only put them on as they change lanes, not a few seconds before.

Why bother indicating then?
Maybe a subconscious reaction to the equally common practice of other vehicles "closing the door" on a another motorist who gives too much warning of their intention to change lanes. Its a viscious circle of bad behaviour.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Just as bad as 'One flash wonders' or 'late flasher'
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Den, I hate this kind of thing but it's something you just have to deal with when on the road. One day they may cause an accident and *might* learn something.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Den76
Phantom cruiser

I know that this sort of behaviour has been going on for a long time im not a new driver about 15yrs, but its getting more blatant.

Driving from Noble park to Tullamarine twice a day the amount of people that dont use there indicators is unbelivable.

This morning trying to get onto the Bolte bridge from the Domain Tunnel l had my indicators on for about three flashes head check mirror check and started to merge across, guy beside me just dived straight in almost collecting me, both swerved back into our lanes he sped up and started abusing me, WTF
Now he was behind me approx half the car length (BF2 wagon) who would be at fault if we did collied.
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

communicating with other drivers and being courteouse and predictable are an unknown concept to many on our roads, pity the rule makers don`t seem to focus on this, and lane changeing/overtaking must be one of the most dangerouse manouvres, yet people are very careless while doing it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3136
I just kind of assumed they made indicators optional extras on new cars, and most people didn't pay for them...

The other one getting up my nose at the moment: I think there was a misprint in the learn to drive manual. it should have said "Do not drive in someone's blind spot"
indicators are optional yes, but you need to buy the USP (underskilled safety pack) to get them. They come in a bundle, consisting of:

i) Indicators
ii) Mirrors
iii) Brake Lights

not everyone can afford it!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #20
au adam

One of my pet hates is this,people are either too lazy or they have their phone in their hands.
It is getting worse in my opinion.
au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #21
gokhan
Irregular Member

No wonder Victoria is becoming the nanny state, most people are just plain ignorant.

2005 BF XT - Lightning Strike

Mods and extras:
Scuff plate inserts | Front & rear bar chrome mouldings | Fairmont Ghia rear number plate surround | Chrome mirror scalps | Fairmont leather & woodgrain gear shifter | Fairmont grille | Ford alloy sports pedals | Custom cold air intake | Force boot lip
gokhan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Although incating is a requirment of driving law. As far as liability goes there are very few times it will be taken into account when determining liability. off the top of my head it would be overtaking on the right of someone that displaying a right had indicator.

Other than that, just because someone indicates to change lanes does not give them right of way to do so. (a lot of old drivers seem to believe that indicating means others must give way to them) It still all comes back to who had right of way.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Although incating is a requirment of driving law. As far as liability goes there are very few times it will be taken into account when determining liability. off the top of my head it would be overtaking on the right of someone that displaying a right had indicator.

Other than that, just because someone indicates to change lanes does not give them right of way to do so. (a lot of old drivers seem to believe that indicating means others must give way to them) It still all comes back to who had right of way.
I have to laugh.
Him "I indicated, then changed lanes"
Me "Did you look?"
Him "Yeah before but not as I moved"
Me "Why didn't you check?"
Him "I had my indicator on..."

People have no idea.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #24
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one guy yesterday on Lower Dandenong road in a BMW - a middle aged guy. Now we took off from the front when the lights went green, I was in the right lane, he was in the middle lane, but 150m up ahead there was another set of lights with traffic taking off. So he takes off, moves to the left lane - which runs out, floored it and cut in, back to the lane he was in. Now he was stuck behind slower traffic and I was following a few cars and we were going past in the right lane. I'm just overlapping his rear bumper and on comes the indicator for a nanosecond and he starts moving immediately. A couple of taps on the horn and he swerves back in his lane. I'm not going to slam on the brakes to let this twat in - he can wait - something he felt he was above doing considering the way he drove. He was just lane hopping as there was only Braeside Park to turn right into and then Springvale road some 2 kms up the road. I tend to stay put when I'm in heavy traffic and only change lanes if there's a gap or I really need to move to another lane for a turn and then I indicate early and signal thanks if they let me in.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #25
Gladio

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Try driving in Asia, cars swerve into lanes with no warning and everyone drives with their bumpers and side mirrors nearly touching. Makes us Aussies look courteous.
+2

Bingo, Asia/Europe the traffic is crazy. They look at you like what the hell is your problem whilst they sruvie in and out of lanes whislt having a smoke and talking on the phone without using a seatbelt :

But seriously here its getting worse, See it happening more and more often....
Gladio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #26
seduced_xr
BF XR6

another good one is people flicking their indicator then immediately cutting you off and waving to say thanks for letting me in..
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Yesterday I was approaching some red lights next to a Commodore Ute. The Ute driver swerved without indicating into a side street that ran parrallel with the road we weer on.

They continued doing 80 km/h in the 50 km/h side street as I came to a stop at the lights. I watched as his back end was bumping up and down because he was going so fast on it, then he rejoined the main road again after the lights. I caught up with him at the next red lights anyway.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #28
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I had one guy yesterday on Lower Dandenong road in a BMW - a middle aged guy. Now we took off from the front when the lights went green, I was in the right lane, he was in the middle lane, but 150m up ahead there was another set of lights with traffic taking off. So he takes off, moves to the left lane - which runs out, floored it and cut in, back to the lane he was in. Now he was stuck behind slower traffic and I was following a few cars and we were going past in the right lane. I'm just overlapping his rear bumper and on comes the indicator for a nanosecond and he starts moving immediately. A couple of taps on the horn and he swerves back in his lane. I'm not going to slam on the brakes to let this twat in - he can wait - something he felt he was above doing considering the way he drove. He was just lane hopping as there was only Braeside Park to turn right into and then Springvale road some 2 kms up the road. I tend to stay put when I'm in heavy traffic and only change lanes if there's a gap or I really need to move to another lane for a turn and then I indicate early and signal thanks if they let me in.
i have to admit.. this is almost exactly how i drive too...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #29
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
i have to admit.. this is almost exactly how i drive too...
Not like the BMW I hope
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahaha... no..
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post