Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Aus Post 14% of Parcels go Missing."Thats Acceptable"

"IT'S official - parcel delivery in Australia has problems.
A survey by consumer advocate Choice shows more than half of the respondents who had parcels delivered in the past 12 months experienced a problem.
Prompted by stories of people eagerly awaiting parcels at home only to find a delivery person had been and gone without ringing the bell, and other complaints of poor parcel delivery service, Choice surveyed a representative group of 1025 Australians in July about their experiences with parcel delivery.
"Topping the charts for those customers who had experienced problems was the mystery of the delivery notification card being left in the letterbox even though someone was home at the time of delivery - with one in four people (24%) having experienced this problem," a Choice article by Jemma Castle states.
"Other problems included unreasonable delay (23%), a missing parcel or failure to deliver (14%) and the parcel being left in a vulnerable position (11%)."
Australia Post is the main provider of parcel delivery, the article says, but other services also copped complaints.
Australia Post says 95% of parcels are delivered on time or early, and that performance levels have not reduced.
But Choice argues its research and figures in the Postal Industry Ombudsman's latest annual report, for 2014-2015, show a 38% increase in complaints against Australia Post on the previous year.
"Complaints to the PIO have been steadily increasing (they've almost tripled) since the office was formed in 2006," Choice states.
"The top complaints about Australia Post related to lost letters/parcels and delivery problems (such as the failure to attempt delivery and incorrect safe drop procedures) - accounting for 31% and 27% of complaints respectively."
Why parcels are not being delivered
One quarter of survey respondents receiving parcels had experienced a failure to attempt to deliver - a number too high for "rogue posties" to be blamed, Choice argues.
The postal service is required by law to provide a letter delivery service and is protected from competition for that service, whereas its parcel delivery arm is open to competition.
"The dramatic shift happening in the postal industry - as we move away from letters towards parcels - has clearly put Australia Post under pressure, too."
Tips for ensuring your parcel arrives through Australia Post
Use registered post or buy extra cover.
Sign up for a MyPost account, which allows you to access these alternatives to the standard delivery service:
Secure lockers, where you can pick up your parcel any time of the day or night for 48 hours after delivery.
Parcel Collect, which allows you to pick up from a post office.
Safe Drop, which allows you to have the parcel left in a safe place, although this means if the parcel doesn't show up you won't have any proof.
For more information visit www.choice.com.au and www.auspost.com.au "
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...deliv/3114721/
Old 22-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Aus Post 14% of Parcels go Missing."Thats Acceptable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"IT'S official - parcel delivery in Australia has problems.
A survey by consumer advocate Choice shows more than half of the respondents who had parcels delivered in the past 12 months experienced a problem.
Prompted by stories of people eagerly awaiting parcels at home only to find a delivery person had been and gone without ringing the bell, and other complaints of poor parcel delivery service, Choice surveyed a representative group of 1025 Australians in July about their experiences with parcel delivery.
"Topping the charts for those customers who had experienced problems was the mystery of the delivery notification card being left in the letterbox even though someone was home at the time of delivery - with one in four people (24%) having experienced this problem," a Choice article by Jemma Castle states.
"Other problems included unreasonable delay (23%), a missing parcel or failure to deliver (14%) and the parcel being left in a vulnerable position (11%)."
Australia Post is the main provider of parcel delivery, the article says, but other services also copped complaints.
Australia Post says 95% of parcels are delivered on time or early, and that performance levels have not reduced.
But Choice argues its research and figures in the Postal Industry Ombudsman's latest annual report, for 2014-2015, show a 38% increase in complaints against Australia Post on the previous year.
"Complaints to the PIO have been steadily increasing (they've almost tripled) since the office was formed in 2006," Choice states.
"The top complaints about Australia Post related to lost letters/parcels and delivery problems (such as the failure to attempt delivery and incorrect safe drop procedures) - accounting for 31% and 27% of complaints respectively."
Why parcels are not being delivered
One quarter of survey respondents receiving parcels had experienced a failure to attempt to deliver - a number too high for "rogue posties" to be blamed, Choice argues.
The postal service is required by law to provide a letter delivery service and is protected from competition for that service, whereas its parcel delivery arm is open to competition.
"The dramatic shift happening in the postal industry - as we move away from letters towards parcels - has clearly put Australia Post under pressure, too."
Tips for ensuring your parcel arrives through Australia Post
Use registered post or buy extra cover.
Sign up for a MyPost account, which allows you to access these alternatives to the standard delivery service:
Secure lockers, where you can pick up your parcel any time of the day or night for 48 hours after delivery.
Parcel Collect, which allows you to pick up from a post office.
Safe Drop, which allows you to have the parcel left in a safe place, although this means if the parcel doesn't show up you won't have any proof.
For more information visit www.choice.com.au and www.auspost.com.au "
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...deliv/3114721/
Interviewing 1000 people and that equals a result? Not likely. Statistics can say anything you want them to.

I've never experienced these issues that other people so commonly have (apparently). And i send and recieve 100s of parcels a year. Although, mine are always addressed correctly, and my house is easily identafiable!

I saw one compaint on the Aus Post page about a guy who was ****ed his deliver got sent back to sender. He addressed it to Sydney 2000, when he lived in the outer suburbs. It was Aus Posts fault they didn't assume to know where the parcel was meant to go just by the street

tl;dr, 99.99% of issues with Post are the customers fault!
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stealthy..I have had two parcels lost between Gracemere and Perth, this year..Aus Post couldn't find them...
Old 22-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I use Aus Post a lot and i've literally never had a single thing go missing
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
cosworthfreak

I had so many problems with parcel delivery I got a PO Box. No problems since. Contract delivery drivers are so hit and miss. I was losing far too many parcels and ones I luckily got were left in stupid positions, including next to my mailbox which is practically on the street!
cosworthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
creative
I am Batman

My last package was 3 days from America to Sydney.... 4 weeks to get from Sydney to the Central Coast an hour away.

absolute joke.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
My last package was 3 days from America to Sydney.... 4 weeks to get from Sydney to the Central Coast an hour away.

absolute joke.
So you're going to jump on the bandwagon and blame post? Its usually in customs for a couple of weeks before anyone from post even sees it!
Old 22-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #8
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
So you're going to jump on the bandwagon and blame post? Its usually in customs for a couple of weeks before anyone from post even sees it!
Stuff does not go through customs when sending from Sydney to Central Coast

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #9
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
It's ok mate...Stealthy knows best...
Old 22-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
It does from America. The scanning will show America - Sydney. This is Customs. Once released, then it will show a local Post facility!

Reread his post ;)

Alot of people, the op included, assume once it shows sydney it is ready to be delivered. Thats not the case, it just shows its arrived at the destination country!
Old 23-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #11
nstg8a

I used to do freight handling for Australian Air Express, and saw both sides of the coin.
Things like a microwave oven being sent from Brisbane to Perth, not even in a box. The glass plate wasn't secured at all and even the cord just had a rubber band around it. How the hell it was even accepted in the first place I don't know.

Then we would see couriers pull-up to unload their vans and if parcels wouldn't scan then they either got dumped on the floor or biffed back in the van for checking 'later'. As in it won't scan so it's a freebie.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #12
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I used to do freight handling for Australian Air Express, and saw both sides of the coin.
If thats the case, why'd you like the post that said America to Sydney in 3 days, then handed over to Post in 1 day?

You'd know that it can be in customs from 1 week, up to over a month depending on how customs feel at the time!
Old 23-11-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:
If thats the case, why'd you like the post that said America to Sydney in 3 days, then handed over to Post in 1 day?

You'd know that it can be in customs from 1 week, up to over a month depending on how customs feel at the time!
You're clearly a postal worker, as reading is not your strong suit.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 12:10 AM   #14
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
You're clearly a postal worker, as reading is not your strong suit.
I've worked in the transport industry for a long time, with many different companies. All have to use customs when recieving something from America.

Here it is for you again

Quote:
Unless he meant a different item only being sent locally
Old 23-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #15
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interviewing 1000 people and that equals a result? Not likely. Statistics can say anything you want them to.

I've never experienced these issues that other people so commonly have (apparently). And i send and recieve 100s of parcels a year. Although, mine are always addressed correctly, and my house is easily identafiable!

I saw one compaint on the Aus Post page about a guy who was ****ed his deliver got sent back to sender. He addressed it to Sydney 2000, when he lived in the outer suburbs. It was Aus Posts fault they didn't assume to know where the parcel was meant to go just by the street

tl;dr, 99.99% of issues with Post are the customers fault!
mate, over 1000 respondents is an epic sample size

plenty of articles get published using data that has a sample size of less than 10% of that

certainly more statistically robust than your sample of 1

additionally, in this day and age, even if it is the customers fault, if 50% of your customers are having difficulty using your service then your business is on borrowed time

which in this case, I believe it is
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 12:33 AM   #16
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post

plenty of articles get published using data that has a sample size of less than 10% of that

certainly more statistically robust than your sample of 1
So you're saying if you go to a church, and ask all the people there if they're religious, and wonder in amazement when the % is off the charts?

This post has proven 3 people who dont understand how the system works, and they're blaming the company in question for a late parcel when it hasn't even been touched by them yet!

I'm all for bagging big business when they **** up, but in this example, its not warranted!
Old 23-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #17
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
additionally, in this day and age, even if it is the customers fault, if 50% of your customers are having difficulty using your service then your business is on borrowed time

which in this case, I believe it is
All transport companies would be on borrowed time if you go by customers who cant address items properly or dont have numbers up at their houses, and then blame the transport company for not managing to deliver it. ;)

About 2 weeks ago, i ordered something on Wedneday, and it was delivered on Friday morning. 2 Days, Sydney to Melb. BUT, the item was addressed correctly, AND my house is identafiable to match that address ;)
Old 23-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had 3 packages go missing, had stuff left at my front door, had delivery drivers not knock and just leave a card in the mailbox had a package left at a neighbours house down the road and had a neighbours package left at mine. All packages that i seen were labelled correctly and so is my house.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I use Aus Post a lot and i've literally never had a single thing go missing
Same here, I have no trouble with them.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Aside from delays getting things by road from QLD or WA, I find Aus Post is generally good.

It sucks that I can get stuff out of the USA quicker than I can from QLD/WA.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #21
Trump
bitch lasagne

Car parts from RockAuto/Pelican/Summit in the US to my door, five days.

Small book from Sydney to my door, still waiting (order was placed three weeks ago, book was despatched same day with AusPost tracking provided).

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #22
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Epic is being overdramatic isn't it? Considering there is about 24 million people in Australia, 1000 respondants is approx. 0.004%.
Old 23-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #23
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt a large portion of parcel deliveries subcontracted parcel companies/drivers?

Not totally relevant, but AusPost is certainly not without its faults. Although to be fair, show me a company that isnt.

I moved into my newly built home in June 2009. I only started receiving mail to my home address 3 weeks ago. I was told that where I lived was outside the catchment area; that is, they hadn't scheduled it in. My street is tacked on to one of the oldest streets in town.

There is 3 new estates town. The one I live in has at least 300 new homes. That's 300 residences (or at least half a portion of) paying annual po box fees and redirection to that box every year. Earlier this year they announce a $36mil profit.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #24
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not my experience.Over many years and many deliveries have had maybe 2 parcels late but still arrived.As another poster said most problems can be attributed to incorrect addressing.Midland Hwy Tasmania probably isn't detailed enough to get a delivery!!!
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #25
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

In my experience with the many parcels I've had delivered, only a few parcels have ever gone missing. The common link is regardless of where they came from they've all disappeared from the Chullora exchange. Even the local parcel postie calls it the 'Chullora vortex'. Parcels arrive but disappear.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

They can easily fix this. Get an external company to send through a whole bunch of different types of mail. Pop GPS trackers in the parcels.

Monitor each item, assess what are the hold ups and remove the dodgy workers that throw things around, don't knock on doors or flog stuff.

Should be well under 5%, not 14!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #27
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
This was just my latest example....

Being in customs isnt my issue or my problem. When I pay for an item to be delivered within 7 days from America I expect it to arrive in seven days.... not sit somewhere in the country of delivery "waiting" to be sent out on. I have had DHL items arrive from korea on multiple deliveries in 3 days with zero issues.

I contacted customs and they said to contact auspost, I contacted Auspost and they had no idea where it was and I needed to get the sender to start a missing item request before they would look for it and my support ticket promptly closed before I could even respond.

so yes, I will jump on the bandwagon, as you put it, as my experience dealing with auspost hasnt been good on a number of occasions....

I Guess your a postal worker...
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #28
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
This was just my latest example....

Being in customs isnt my issue or my problem. When I pay for an item to be delivered within 7 days from America I expect it to arrive in seven days.... not sit somewhere in the country of delivery "waiting" to be sent out on. I have had DHL items arrive from korea on multiple deliveries in 3 days with zero issues.

I contacted customs and they said to contact auspost, I contacted Auspost and they had no idea where it was and I needed to get the sender to start a missing item request before they would look for it and my support ticket promptly closed before I could even respond.

so yes, I will jump on the bandwagon, as you put it, as my experience dealing with auspost hasnt been good on a number of occasions....

I Guess your a postal worker...
Im a realist who understands how the system works. And hate people bagging companies when its not their issue

Your issue is with the sender sending it on the wrong service ;) if its taken 4 weeks, its not on a priority service, so either chosen wrong by you, or what i suspect lodged wrong by the sender
Old 23-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Im a realist who understands how the system works. And hate people bagging companies when its not their issue

Your issue is with the sender sending it on the wrong service ;) if its taken 4 weeks, its not on a priority service, so either chosen wrong by you, or what i suspect lodged wrong by the sender
You should never assume....

If USPS can get it to the country in 3 days..... that leaves 4 days to get to me... and it was correctly sent and addressed.

Being a realist doesnt mean everyone else is wrong... My experiences have been negative with Auspost. It also doesnt mean I am just jumping on the bandwagon to slate a company without experiencing the service, when I have, and its been poor.

Just as a comparison I had a $10k courier assignment that left a depot and wasnt delivered as per the delivery timescale. A phonecall to the company, a quick chat and a return call within 15min to say it was an error on their part and will be delivered at anytime we want the next day is how a delivery service should be.

Old 23-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #30
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I have had hundreds of parcels sent via Australia post over the last couple of years and I think they have only lost one item in that entire time. I have had a number of slow deliveries but that happens less often now than it did a year or two ago.

It's clear to me that they just weren't ready for such a dramatic increase in the use of their services when internet shopping really took off here. They're still not as bad as some of the other delivery companies out there.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post