Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
woohoo
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon75 View Post
Yer we had the same bloody problem with the same solution
Same here!
woohoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

All au 6 stack in dash head units
Completely pause quick fix keep pressing random buttoms turn on and off.
If under warranty get it replaced with another on that WILL do the same thing 6 months later.
If out of warranty buy a decent head unit.
Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox
If under warranty get it replaced with another on that WILL do the same thing 6 months later.
Why is there so many complaints about the AUII/III 6 stack headunits?? Never having owned/operated one myself, I have heard lots of negative responses from users, repairers and wreckers. Something about the shuffle mechanism is poorly designed and prone to stuff up, and once they do, will continue to give trouble to no end, and that's only one of many problems apparently??
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
Why is there so many complaints about the AUII/III 6 stack headunits?? Never having owned/operated one myself, I have heard lots of negative responses from users, repairers and wreckers. Something about the shuffle mechanism is poorly designed and prone to stuff up, and once they do, will continue to give trouble to no end, and that's only one of many problems apparently??
While i agree that there are a number of faulty units around, i think the other issue is people panicing when the cd fails to play or when the system spits the cd out for no reason during shuffle. I've heard of guys at my work with company fairmonts simply jamming the cd in without pressing the reload, once you do that kiss goodbye to the shuffle mechanism.

I don't deny the 6 stacker mechanism is fragile and due to bumps the cd ccan unseat abit in it's holders.
Old 15-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
muzza2
Starter Motor

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox View Post
What head unit do you recommend?
muzza2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Ii have the optional premium sound unit in mine and "Touches wood 100 times" mine has never packed up.

Yes on occasions the cd doesn't play but i let it do it's thing and spit the cd,
then i press reload and everythings fine. If a cd fails to play, i skip cd's until theres one that plays and then go back to the one. So far it's worked and i've had no jams at all. I really love the 6 stacker. I've had the music skip on the cd while playing and the problem was cured after i bought a cd lense cleaner.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The problem I have with my AU is that it is a Wagon for work.It has a cargo barrier in it.A few times I can be getting materials out for work and leave the keys inside after closing the tailgate. I always leave the doors unlocked when this happens(luckily) and reach for my electronic boot release but nothing happens. The AU boot release on my wagon powers down after several minutes and I cannot open it from the switch.

I hope that the guy who designed that feature is reading this because I have one message for you mate...YOUR MADE OF PLASTIC!!!!!
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #8
agentofchange

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
The AU boot release on my wagon powers down after several minutes and I cannot open it from the switch.

I hope that the guy who designed that feature is reading this because I have one message for you mate...YOUR MADE OF PLASTIC!!!!!
This is there so if someone breaks into your car they have to pull the back seat down and pull the boot release to get stuff out of your car.

Oh and I find that it is way too easy for someone to break in by - ****Edited***** - two times in the last few months... Grrr

Last edited by Casper; 26-10-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Lets not advertise how to do it on a public Forum!!!!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
agentofchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentofchange
Oh and I find that it is way too easy for someone to break in by - ****Edited***** - two times in the last few months... Grrr
Sorry Casper, I'm only new here - I didn't mean to do anything wrong (did I break a forum rule?)

I still feel it was a fair call to describe the problem as I did - "Method x" is very a common problem for the AU series, and relates directly to the thread.

I was at Ferntree Gully Ford today and the service guy I spoke to said they have someone in every day after being broken into via "method x". I think if someone was looking to break into a car they would already know about the method I described.

-- Agent
Old 07-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Sorry Casper, I'm only new here - I didn't mean to do anything wrong (did I break a forum rule?)

I still feel it was a fair call to describe the problem as I did - "Method x" is very a common problem for the AU series, and relates directly to the thread.

I was at Ferntree Gully Ford today and the service guy I spoke to said they have someone in every day after being broken into via "method x". I think if someone was looking to break into a car they would already know about the method I described.

-- Agent
no, not a drama and you are right, it is a VERY common problem. I'd just not give any ideas to lurkers etc.
If its not mentioned, it may stop just one theft.

I have a rather intrusive alarm on mine specifically to deal with this sort of method however I'd rather not have to pay for the repairs.

Your ok, no dramas here, just want to keep that little issue away from the spotlight if possible.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
This is there so if someone breaks into your car they have to pull the back seat down and pull the boot release to get stuff out of your car.

Thats fine because I know how to overide the boot release mechanism..but it is a bit of an obstacle when its raining and I need 7 minutes for overide procedure,which only I know...lucky Im one of the good guys..
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
CYCO TROOPS
CYCO4D Wagon.

Yes Stav, that makes two of us, its sooooooo damn annoying!!!

[QUOTE=Stav]The AU boot release on my wagon powers down after several minutes and I cannot open it from the switch. QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 AM   #13
TCK-098

yay just got rid of my tickford springs as car sat to hi to my liking and put in some king springs anyways IRS yay top shock mounts are kaput.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #14
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how do you know when your mounts in your rear shockies are finished? I think mine are on their way out, i'm hearing a knock over bumps which sounds like the boot lid isnt closed properly or the spare wheel is loose (its neither)

do you reckon this would be covered under ford's extended warranty?? i would think they would be but wouldnt be too surprised to hear that they arent!! :
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Timeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77
do you reckon this would be covered under ford's extended warranty?? i would think they would be but wouldnt be too surprised to hear that they arent!! :
The good old "wear and tear" excuse... my money is on that they won't.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #16
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeshift
The good old "wear and tear" excuse... my money is on that they won't.
well your nearly right... i took it to ford and they looked at.. the invoice says "check for rattle going over bumps - add washer to rear shock mounts - road test and advise owner'... result: F'all difference, in fact i think it got a little bit worse.. back she goes..

one good thing about this extended warranty - they are replacing the high pressure line in my power steering which is leaking (the solid metal line not the rubber one).. i'm told its a $400 part................
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #17
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Probably not an AU only fault, but one us AU owners may experience. Anyway I shall begin.

I started noticing the XR pulling to the left, only 1,000 k's after getting a wheel alignment done. Driving the car off from cold, it felt like a flat spot had developed on one of the tyres. Coming back from the local Carlovers after a good gurney, I detailed my wheels and noticed that a valve cap had come off the right front wheel. Compared with the front left, there was a noticeable decrease in tyre pressure.

Remedy:

Cannibalised the valve cap off the spare, off to the local Bob Janes to get a couple of valve caps and had the pressures checked whilst I was there.

Outcome:

Handling/Steering felt back to normal, saved myself from premature tyre wear and or another wheel alignment.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 09-01-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #18
chief
FTF Club Moderator

PROBLEM:
On AU Wagons I am led to believe that it is common for where the boot struts meet the frame of the car for a little bit of rust to form there. I know first hand as my car had rust there.

REMEDY:
Call the 13 something phone number and it will be fixed free under warrenty. The warrenty is for 5 years on corrosion. Even if you have a 3 year warrenty.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #19
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

All au's have this rust problem sedans / utes / wagons even the BA's suffer from it.
as none of the brackets had been painted behind them and are just left as raw metal. Thats where every pannel on the car mounts up you will find varying degree's of rust.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #20
XR6BADBOY:P
MissYouBluePrint

Default Fuel issues XR6 Au

Hi,
Got a 2000 AU XR6. I am only getting 275Klms per tank around the city, recently I took it back to Ford and they replaced Fuel Sender.

To me is this really how many true klms I should get around the city, just doing little odd trips here and there?

Is it 4.0 litres X 65 litre take to work out the KLM.

Also does Gas give you much more for the $$$$.

Or is the car got further issues that ford do not want to tell me about?

I also got the injectors cleaned and cleaner added tot he fuel pump lines.

If anyone could give me so true information, or has suffered simlar problem and wishes to give some clear information greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by XR6BADBOY:P; 08-11-2005 at 04:18 PM.
XR6BADBOY:P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2005, 08:54 PM   #21
almir22

i have a 2000 ford falcon future, it was working fine till yesterday, i washed the car underneath and since then it dosnt want to start or move the engine at all, all it does is make clicking noise when you try to start it.
whats going on there anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 26-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #22
BIRRAK
Starter Motor

Default Au99 Faimont Wagon

BOUGHT MY WAGON ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO.
Love the car, only 127K on the clock and everything works except the auto antenna.

A few problems I have noted are:

Heavy knock from front suspension which I can feel in the footwell, mainly on cornering.

and

After reversing and then going foward I get a squeak from the rear drivers side wheel. This stops after a few hundered meters travel..

I also have the usual problems, faded/missing display segmants, passanger auto window switch probelms....
BIRRAK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #23
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Default Fairmont LCD displays...

Just had my AU2 2000 F'mont Ghia's climate control/trip computer display repaired by the bloke in Moorabbin, I dropped it off and it was ready the next day, all packaged up and guaranteed for 3 months etc etc....FANTASTIC SERVICE, WORKS PERFECTLY, can only say good things about him, cos he only charged $60 approx including changing the bulbs too.

Certainly a saving on the $400 that was paid last time the display disappeared!

I think he advertises on here but his website is: www.geocities.com/liquidxtal
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
bhjames
G6E Sensation

Default AU Earthing Problems

My 99 AU1 Fairmont Ghia has been showing extremely low (none) oil pressure when hot and idling for the last 2 years. Two Ford dealers suggested changing the oil pressure sender, which I finally did last week.

Guess what. NO change! $60- wasted!

Metro Ford in Brisbane fortuitously suggested last week that there had been a FORD service bulletin suggesting that these sorts of problems had in many cases been due to electrical earthing problems.

Today, I am very pleased to advise that after a couple of hours work removing and cleaning every earth I could find around the engine, I am sure the problem is FIXED!

In retrospect, I now suspect that when the two engine fans cut in (with a hot engine) that somehow the voltage available to the oil pressure sender fell below a critical level, sending the dashboard pressure gauge to zero, and triggering the audible alarm.

If you have an AU, check your engine and chassis earths!!
bhjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #25
lpgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox
All au's have this rust problem sedans / utes / wagons even the BA's suffer from it.

you will find varying degree's of rust.
On my AUIII sedan, I find mild surface rust on the inside of the boot lid around the edges that isn't sealed by the boot rubber seal. This is because when it rains and when you wash the car - the water doesn't dry quick because it's not exposed to the air or wind to dry it up. Also with this the drainage corner at the back end of the the boot lid drain (left and right corners) tend to get surface rust because it doesn't drain well there (a little flat spot).

Unfortunately, you will also find that it gets surface rust on the inside of your rear tail light housing - just remove your rear tail lights (they come out easy by unscrewing from the inside - but wiring remains attached) and you will see the surface rust in the now vacant housing. This is because the tailights are not sealed with any goo and every time you wash yer car under pressure, water shoots straight in there and can't dry out well. I am wondering if the front light housing has the same problem - but front lights are much harder to take out.

Solution: Ring your local ford dealer panel beater - take it to them - show them the rust and they should agree to fix it - they will use a mini sand blower to rid the surface rust an re-touch it up with fresh paint. Needs to be under 5 years old for the 5 year rust warranty an AUIII's (don't know about AU/AUII's).
lpgguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #26
cossy
Starter Motor

Red face Exhaust At Manifold

Help I have a s1 falcon 6 . The exhaust manifold is leaking at the head .Have i got a problem with the head or the two pice manifold ? Are the manifold known to warp ? I have change the gasket and it seamed to be ok but after two days it started leaking again . Any help would be good thanks cossy
cossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
PROBLEM:
On AU Wagons I am led to believe that it is common for where the boot struts meet the frame of the car for a little bit of rust to form there. I know first hand as my car had rust there.

REMEDY:
Call the 13 something phone number and it will be fixed free under warrenty. The warrenty is for 5 years on corrosion. Even if you have a 3 year warrenty.
Is that 5 years from the build date, or date of initial purchase? Does that warranty pass over to second and/or third owners?
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #28
SVR73
Mr Polish

So far I've had a dream run with AU's.
The only blemish is the power steering rack going at 115,000 on the forte
It's best to spray lanolin or other rust preventative into those rear corners of the AU sedan boot.

Windows slow to go up
The silicone spray was a good suggestion. The rubbers that the windows make contact with, need to be well cared for
Over time with no care, the AU rubbers dry up and go brown which causes sticky windows and if not treated, new rubbers being required

Solution - clearkote vanilla moose, autoglym bodyshop 07B (looks like strawberry jam) and then baby oil and wolfgang black diamond tire gel.
Result - jet black rubbers that are quite smooth and makes it easier for power windows to move up and down

I've had AU's longer than anyone in the country and found ways to alleviate these little problems
Old 09-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #29
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
I've had AU's longer than anyone in the country and found ways to alleviate these little problems
Ooookaay.. so you're the one who bought that very first AU ever produced aye?.. _

Tell us more about all the problems with the AU please? Would be great to hear from someone who's owned AU's longer than anyone else in the country.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #30
Swedishmoose

[QUOTE=SVR73]So far I've had a dream run with AU's.

It's best to spray lanolin or other rust preventative into those rear corners of the AU sedan boot.

Hi there.....

do you mean those two big holes on the left and right side of the boot which reach into the c-pillars ?They are allways dirty and hard to clean, right ?

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post