Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: $12.00 each for genuine trans pan bolt's ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Its not like he was going to charge you $12 per bolt though, he looked up the price, obviously got the wrong price so offered to source non genuine bolts. If he was trying to rip you off he would of just said genuine bolts are $12 each and I cant get anything else, not offer to get something cheaper. Sounds like he looked for a bolt that he wouldn't have to replace very often and just got the wrong price then offered to find something cheaper for you.

I agree with this wholeheartedly......he was as surprised as I was at the quoted price and at the time believed what he was told.

he could easily made more by simply putting an extra half hour on the account and this I would not have been able to check.

Sure there are some dodgy mechanics out there out to make as much as possible off of everything but people jumping to conclusions and labeling them dodgy for things like this is silly and a good way to ruin a guys rep. Happens all the time people jump to conclusions and ruin a shops rep, happened years ago with TSS on this very site until the owner of TSS told the full story.

this feller is far from dodgy.......I use him and he is well known for his honesty and reliability

As someone else mentioned though, even at $12 a pop that's understandable, every seller along the way has to make a buck. You can't buy something off of Ford and then sell it on to someone else for the exact same price, you'd make no money and go out of business. That's why its cheaper to buy direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77
$65 an hour from a long time friend is a stretch too poppa!
Mate $65 per hour is dirt cheap.....Ford and Holden charge 0ver $120 for a lot shonkyer work and charge for parts not used or for work not performed at all. (personal experience)

I've known and used him for the best part of 30 years, never done me wrong and always upfront.

he noted the mistake (not his) and made up for it by offering non genuine, more than happy with that response.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Yeah $65 is pretty cheap really. $100 an hour is pretty common for mechanical work. Have to remember the mechanic has to get paid and the business still has to turn a profit as well. No point only making enough to pay your employee's if you yourself don't make a cent.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #33
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

General rule is to charge at least 3 times what you pay your tradie, or yourself, if you want to even look like staying in business. So, at $65/hr, Roberts must be paying himself $22/hr ... not good.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind the $65 per hour as it is far cheaper than a dealership......he has overheads and 2 workers to pay.

I assume the 2 other workers are gathering $65 per hour for him but getting paid a mechanics rate so profit therein as well, he does alright.

but getting back to the bolt's......if we use the price given to me from autopro which was $5 per bolt and a flat rate of $10 freight and assuming I broke only one bolt then that would make that bolt worth $15.

does this make autopro shonk's, .......I don't think so, it is the general cost of part's, if I ordered 100 then the freight would be insignificant.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 25-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would'nt you just take a sample to a bolt supplier......Its only a trans pan bolt......Not even any real tension required?

Or go to a wreckers and get them for next to nothing
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Why would'nt you just take a sample to a bolt supplier......Its only a trans pan bolt......Not even any real tension required?

Or go to a wreckers and get them for next to nothing

the Simple reason being that I didn't do the job!

Old 25-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #37
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
the Simple reason being that I didn't do the job!
Well a good mechanic would'nt make you pay $12 each.....He would be smart enough and know his bolt specs and sizes etc to just go to a bolt supplier down the road..... Bloody hell its not even hard....Ever used a thread guage before?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #38
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as stated previously .......I didn't pay $12 for the bolts....... he didn't make me pay that amount.........read the thread before commenting please.

This user likes this post: