Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #31
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my dad was just telling me that the $2.50 charge is and has been for a long time for american express and diners club
for what ever reason(led to bleieve they are a big bad company that nobody likes and charges too much?)

my dad works at a shell service station
Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #32
RedFord05

Just pay your fuel bill in a mix of coins , give them the choice, either spend the time counting all the coins or take my credit card and waive the silly fee, your choice Console Operator !!
RedFord05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #33
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towle
Just pay your fuel bill in a mix of coins , give them the choice, either spend the time counting all the coins or take my credit card and waive the silly fee, your choice Console Operator !!
Now that's an idea

The banks charge you to count your coins :
Even when you bag them up in there nice little $10 bags and all they have to do is weigh it to make sure its correct...

Its going to save me 2.6% credit card fees and also coin counting fee from the bank

BRILLIANT :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #34
tufLTD
tufLTD

Some facts:
EFTPOS does cost the servo (& other businesses), the banks charge about $400 per month for EFTPOS terminals.
Credit cards cost businesses between 1.5% & 6% (Amex) in transaction fees charged by the banks.
My boss makes 1c per litre profit on diesel at the moment! Yes 1c. As most trucking companies put their fuel on c/cards or account, my boss is actually losing money on diesel at the moment. And petrol isn't much better.
Instead of targetting servo's, maybe you should be taking aim at the banks & oil companies.
And there's always the alternative: use cash.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #35
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007
This is exactly what it is. But people in non central areas such as Newcastle , Gosford and Other Country places in NSW

have been paying this since 2003 !!!

Haven't paid a credit card fee on the North Coast in the last 3 years and I pay by c/c all the time. (unless they are hiding it but I dont think so)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
My boss makes 1c per litre profit on diesel at the moment! Yes 1c. As most trucking companies put their fuel on c/cards or account, my boss is actually losing money on diesel at the moment. And petrol isn't much better.
If he's losing money and is still open he is either a very rich man or a very foolish one. Why would you sell fuel if there is no profit in it?
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #36
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon
If he's losing money and is still open he is either a very rich man or a very foolish one. Why would you sell fuel if there is no profit in it?
If you read my post, it says "at the moment", it's very dependant on the competition. He has to do this to compete with the big multi-franchise operators (read: owned by oil companies).
The diesel sales are basically being subsidised by our workshop (mechanical repairs).
As with a lot of businesses, loss of profit is acceptable in certain areas if you can gain in other areas.
Similarly with petrol, the profit margin is very small, but it brings people in to the workshop & the store.
That's also why you don't see any servo's that sell fuel only. No business could survive on fuel sales alone.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #37
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
That's also why you don't see any servo's that sell fuel only. No business could survive on fuel sales alone.
I dont know of to many servos these days that provide mechanical services to prop up their fuel sales. Some have a convenience store that sells everything at inflated prices and few people shop at them. Do you really think that companies like Woolworths and Coles would sell fuel at a loss just to get you to shop at their supermarkets for a 4c discount? Does your boss really want you to know how much he is making?
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #38
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Interesting, can just imagine everyone pays cash and then as they become a bigger target for robbers the insurance for the servo goes up, and then they charge a surcharge for higher insurance premiums. Real clever economics......not.

Quote: