Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default $140k Walkinshaw GTS posts a 13.23 Second Quarter In Latest Motor Mag

As per the title, latest Motor mag covers their "fastest fight ever" using a Walkinshaw GTS costing a cool $140k with a supercharged 6.2 litre V8 churning out a claimed 480kw.

This rapid vehicle has posted a 13.23 second quarter with a 80-120 time of 3.12 seconds.

Sorry, not when you can have yourself a brand new FPV (or HSV) going just as fast (if not faster) with enough change for a healthy deposit on a new house or investment property...

And this is the car the Holden / HSV aficonado's point to as their answer to the s/c 5.0 litre GS/GT.

Thoughts ???

Last edited by FalconXR6; 11-05-2011 at 09:24 PM.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: $140k Walkinshaw GTS posts a 13.23 Second Quarter In Latest Motor Mag

traction issues.
thats all it will be but at that money id have a c63
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: $140k Walkinshaw GTS posts a 13.23 Second Quarter In Latest Motor Mag

traction issues dont account for the slow 80-120 time...
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe MOTOR are just hopeless at recording times; the Porsche in the comparo gets a slower time, despite them posting like a 11-second quarter in a previous issue.
Also, whenever they test tuned cars (i.e. Herrod, Walkinshaw etc) they rarely get better times than factory ones. Whats up with that? The only exception I saw was in a Hot Tuner special where a G6E or F6 did 0-100 in 4.3 seconds or something cool like that.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351@GT
with that power it would be wheel spin at wot at 80kph
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351@GT
If they did it would be happy days, a beast that can lose traction at 80.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

They always get rubbish times from modified cars. I bet they only do one run and dont have a go at different launching techniques.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

With that kind of grunt it must be wheelspin, I wonder if it used big 20 inch or bigger wheels and tyres. Do we know if it was manual or auto?

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
MexicanBatman
Banned

Hahahahahaha

Buy 2 gt's for that money and WIN
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
Maybe MOTOR are just hopeless at recording times; the Porsche in the comparo gets a slower time, despite them posting like a 11-second quarter in a previous issue.
Also, whenever they test tuned cars (i.e. Herrod, Walkinshaw etc) they rarely get better times than factory ones. Whats up with that? The only exception I saw was in a Hot Tuner special where a G6E or F6 did 0-100 in 4.3 seconds or something cool like that.
I'm pretty sure they say it's a different porsche. They had issues with the other one being in targa tassie?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
With that kind of grunt it must be wheelspin, I wonder if it used big 20 inch or bigger wheels and tyres. Do we know if it was manual or auto?
Manual on 20 x 10's

The launch was said to be tricky due to a difficult to modulate clutch combined with axle tramp.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

A bit left field but I think these journos should start to record and publish 60' times and terminal speeds; it'll always paint a better picture.

Anyhow, considering that it's times don't appear to reflect it's power and price, did they bag it in end, or praise it?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
weenie

I know after one hot tuner challenge with mercs, i was told the winning merc was given umpteen runs until it won, where the others were limited to only a couple. The winner was a bigger client.
Look, in the end i have heard of times quicker than that with 250rwkw. Too much power to be of any use really.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #14
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6T and G6ET's are consistently getting better times than those, in standard form. At around 90k cheaper to boot.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

From what I'm hearing they do.

Its the price tag that would put me off. I'd say Herrod or KPM would have some good packages for much less.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I drove a GT-E, a stock dealer demo, it could chirp the tyres at 100kph, traction control ON. Do not under estimate a Miami powered FPV.