Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
OldManGhia

Default $2.50 Credit Card Fee

Just saw on Sky News that NSW Servos are going to charge $2.50 for any payment made by credit card. What next? A $2.50 charge to handle the cost of moving all the extra cash that they will now receive. Come on this is nothing but a rip off yet again.

OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep .. quick way to loose patronage .. and forcing people to hand over cash probably will make them prime robbery targets.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon
Just saw on Sky News that NSW Servos are going to charge $2.50 for any payment made by credit card. What next? A $2.50 charge to handle the cost of moving all the extra cash that they will now receive. Come on this is nothing but a rip off yet again.
Would be an interesting exercise, I thought they could only pass on the cost of the merchant fee to the consumer.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
EFDream
XRR83D

That sucks

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Heard this too.. how can they do that? legally I mean.. that's basically charging for nothing.. there's already fees in the eftpos system for the service so how do they justify the new charge?
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
ToxikXR
you've been dubbed..

because they are all money sucking D**KHEADS.. bloody outrageous
APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Torque Arm Insert, APR ECU, APR Fuel Pump, Oettinger Bodykit, Oettinger Intercooler, Oettinger RXX 19x8.5 Wheels, Dbilas Cold Air Induction, Neuspeed Front & Rear Swaybars, Forge Diverter Valve
Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, Xenons, DSG, Sunroof, 20% Tint
ToxikXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

We charge 2% on any payments we receive by credit cards.

Why you ask - well we paid $25,000 in credit card fees last year and alot of the payments can be done by direct deposits, its just that the managers or directors want to put the payments on their credit cards so they get Points to obtain free stuff from their credit providers.

I can see them being able to charge a fee on a percentage basis but not a straight $2.50.

And I am sure that service stations have a low charge rate from credit card companys due to thier combined high turnover

Telstra charge .69% for Visa, Mastercard etc and I am sure the service stations have a rate something like this

With fuel prices so high why dont they fight the government for some relief - not the consumer?

Also if they are going to charge what dont they charge 1% or something

Hopefully this fee wont be coming to VIC but i am sure it will.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Yet another way for the little guy to be ripped off.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
sednwol

Just boycott them, that's what will happen....punish them!
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Before this gets too caried away, I belive that the $2.50 was a calculation on $100 of fuel.

If you read the following article by ninemsn:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=83282

You'll see that motorists will pay up too $2.60 on a $100 fuel purchase, which works out to be 2.5%.... still, I think it sucks.... as if fuel prices, and interest rates (for car loans), and the home loan rates going up aren't bad enough...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
BA Turbo

This is crap i today had to refill my grandmas camary and grandma asked the guy why did the pump go so quick for $20 and i was like granny nooo he is already pulling out a broom stick on anther guy.

When i get my liscense im going to get my VN commiwhore or my 1993 FALCON and do burnouts on his servo ground
BA Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #12
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Before this gets too carried away, I believe that the $2.60 was a calculation on $100 of fuel....which works out to be 2.6%.... ...
I am sure that the actual rate from the banks for purchases with credit cards at service stations are around 1% - why are they charging 2.5% (Shell/Mobil/BP/Caltex etc would have deals with credit card suppliers to get lower rates than the normal little shop)

They have a note about American Express and Diners Club, I know they charge higher rates - so maybe the 2.6% is related to them.

That would be the normal way news is reported - give the worse case scenario and make it out as the normal rate

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to be honest they could have done this 3 years ago when the RBA said any business is able to do it. As long as the servo indicates that they are doing this before we fill up I have no issue with it.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I am understanding of the fact that they could have done it years ago, but it just sux they they had to bring it in when petrol is at it's highest... Wonder if it will come in to canberra...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They actually changed the laws in 2004 so that the merchant could charge a fee of between 1 and 2.6%. They say that the reason for them starting to charge the fee now was because of low profit rates to the service station.Supposedly only making around 3 cents per litre.Quite interesting really as when I checked the gate price of fuel from the oil companies to the service station yesterday, the price was 131.8 c/lt yet you couldn't buy petrol out my way for under 139.9c/lt.So much for there 3 c/lt profit magin. Just another way of ripping everyone off. Stuff them, i'll just pay mine on EFTPOS from now on.Where they can't charge you a fee
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

I have seen signs on Mobil pumps for at least a month saying they charge a fee for using credit cards. It used to be illegal to onpass bank fees to consumers, but shops just got around that by including the fee in the full price and giving customers a discount for cash!

I was pretty annoyed when Tesltra introduced a fee for credit card payments, so I just started paying by cheque, which cost me no extra, and i'm sure cost them a lot me to process than a credit card payment!
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Between the banks, government and oil companies. Who's left to screw us? :yeees:
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #18
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Quite interesting really as when I checked the gate price of fuel from the oil companies to the service station yesterday, the price was 131.8 c/lt yet you couldn't buy petrol out my way for under 139.9c/lt.So much for there 3 c/lt profit magin.
True but have you factored in their rent and operating costs. Maybe that brings the profits down to 3c/litre.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this whole thing is very amusing when only about 6 months ago caltex was giving 8 Cents off a litre when a Woolworths Voucher was used inconjunction with a Visa Card.

If this fee is introduced , im sure MasterCard Visa and AMEX will lower the merchant fees at some servos to encourage the use of thir cards like they do with telstra.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #20
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

dad just informed me that westpac's fee to servo's is about 2.5% for credit cards
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #21
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

There is no way on earth that servos would be paying that.

Going back 6 months, quotes for merchant facilities based on Turnover and Ticket size for an average servo would start from .64% upto 1.00%

If any one is paying over 1.5% Merchant Service Fee then they are bending over with a smile.

The banks are screaming for merchants as they take a nice cut in interchange fees, so its a retailers market if they shop around.

Visa MasterCard Bankcard do not set the rates, the Banks do, they make a profit above approx .54%

Amex and Diners are different to the above schemes
Old 12-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #22
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they've started that tn wa aswell , supose next well be charged parking fee's whilst at the bouser
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #23
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
They actually changed the laws in 2004 so that the merchant could charge a fee of between 1 and 2.6%. They say that the reason for them starting to charge the fee now was because of low profit rates to the service station.Supposedly only making around 3 cents per litre.Quite interesting really as when I checked the gate price of fuel from the oil companies to the service station yesterday, the price was 131.8 c/lt yet you couldn't buy petrol out my way for under 139.9c/lt.So much for there 3 c/lt profit magin. Just another way of ripping everyone off. Stuff them, i'll just pay mine on EFTPOS from now on.Where they can't charge you a fee
EFTPOS fees can be nearly as bad depending on your bank.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
EFTPOS fees can be nearly as bad depending on your bank.
eftpos shouldnt cost the servo anything.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #25
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

No, but your bank dosnt appreciate it and will charge you for excess usage. Excess usage can be anything but most of the time its 4 per month. Then the fees start.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #26
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Would be an interesting exercise, I thought they could only pass on the cost of the merchant fee to the consumer.

This is exactly what it is. But people in non central areas such as Newcastle , Gosford and Other Country places in NSW

have been paying this since 2003 !!!
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #27
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, but your bank dosnt appreciate it and will charge you for excess usage. Excess usage can be anything but most of the time its 4 per month. Then the fees start.
sorry , i thought you were saying that it would cost the servo as much as a C/Card. But you're right , when banks start charging excess transaction fees , it can get costly.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #28
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
thats why i got an account with unlimited transactions, i don't carry cash on me it burns a hole in my pocket
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #29
Aeron
DJR Fan

Looks like i'll have to press "Savings" from now on then.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #30
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

There is a difference here between what the bank charges the merchant and what the bank charges you to use your account(could never work that one out)

Anyhows, JMC, the $2.50 is not the Merchant Service Fee, which is a percentage of the transaction, from what I read they want to charge a flat out $2.50

If that replaced the charging on the MSF or on top of it, who knows at this stage