Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Queensland Electric Super Highway

"World’s longest electric vehicle super highway revs up
The future of motoring in Queensland has been officially launched in Cairns today.
Energy Minister Mark Bailey unveiled the first of many fast-charging electric vehicle stations which will be rolled out at various locations right up the Queensland coast from the Gold Coast to the Far North to form the State’s Electric Super Highway.
Mr Bailey, who has just driven from Brisbane to Cairns to spruik the Palaszczuk Government’s commitment to roads infrastructure in the regions, will announce the first fast-charging station at The Esplanade in Cairns for what will be the world’s longest electric vehicle superhighway in one State.
"This fast-charging station is the first of many proposed throughout the state which will be announced by the Palaszczuk Government in coming months, making it possible to drive an electric vehicle from the state’s southern border to the Far North," Mr Bailey said.
"We are a forward thinking government, and we know the future is electric. This project is ambitious, but our vision is to facilitate increased uptake of electric vehicles in Queensland, getting as many people as possible on board the electric vehicle revolution, as part of our transition to a low emissions future.
"That’s why fast-charging stations will also be available for use at no cost for the initial phase of the super highway."
Member for Barron River Craig Crawford said this was an electrifying day for the Far North.
"What makes this even more exciting is the fact that the energy supplied in this fast-charging station and others to follow will be green energy purchased through green energy credits or offsets" he said.
"EVs can provide not only a reduced fuel cost for Queenslanders, but an environmentally-friendly transport option, particularly when charged from renewable energy.
"The Queensland Electric Super Highway has the potential to revolutionise the way we will travel around Queensland into the future."
Mr Bailey said electric vehicle ownership rates around the world are increasing, largely due to significant advances in battery technology and continued cost reductions in EVs.
"The most recent Queensland Household Energy Survey showed that 50 per cent of Queenslanders will consider an electric vehicle, plug-in hybrid or regenerative breaking hybrid, when purchasing a new car in the next two years," Mr Bailey said.
"The survey showed that people considering an EV fall within two groups - those motivated by the value and cost effectiveness of EVs, and those motivated by the environment,"
"And 64 per cent of respondents said improvements to public fast-charging infrastructure would further tempt them into purchasing an EV."
Mr Bailey said the Queensland Electric Super Highway was being developed through a collaboration between Energy Queensland and several State Government Departments and local councils.
"The Palaszczuk Government is committed to a renewable energy future and we recognise the importance of working closely with stakeholders, in particular local governments and private landowners, to enable projects such as the Queensland Electric Super Highway to become reality," he said."
http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...ighway-revs-up
Old 27-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Queensland Electric Super Highway

Why would anyone buy a broken hybrid
I think he meant regenerative braking system
and that free of charge is it for a charge up
or is it free for the service centre owner
just having trouble understanding the press release
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: Queensland Electric Super Highway

Electricity is already more expensive that Petrol, especially in the north of the state, so why?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going to use renewable energy so I suppose you wont be able to charge your car at night or when its overcast or when the wind doesn't blow . What a total waste of taxpayers money plug in electric vehicles are a joke. I drive every day and I haven't seen one yet .For those interested check out auto expert John Cardogans view on plug in hybrid vehicles on you tube .
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gold Coast to the Far North they reckon

more like Upper Coomera to the Brisbane CBD

I wasn't aware they still built infrastructure outside of southeast QLD
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
Going to use renewable energy so I suppose you wont be able to charge your car at night or when its overcast or when the wind doesn't blow . What a total waste of taxpayers money plug in electric vehicles are a joke. I drive every day and I haven't seen one yet .For those interested check out auto expert John Cardogans view on plug in hybrid vehicles on you tube .
Never seen one?

Where do you live, Mt Isa?

Also putting any stock on what that ****nuckle **** Cadogan says is a big lol.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The technology will come eventually, aren't they jumping in a little early ?
How fast is a 'fast' charge ? You'll still have time to have a kip before the car is ready to go again.
There is a thread on here covering batteries where the electrolyte is exchanged to achieve a full charge - be a quicker option than conventional recharging for example.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Wasn't Bailey suspended over his emails?

But yes we have a power point up here now...not seen any e-cars but.
And better hope that no more than one Brisbane eco hippie turns up at once.

And "No Cost"...bet us ratepayers get slugged with bill, as said electricity aint cheap up here.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
nstg8a

I see a few teslas around Brisbane, nothing else stands out to me as electric.

The way of the future.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Just more BS from a bankrupt government that is grasping for any good news, pie in the sky dream, don't ya know they're preparing us for the forthcoming election.

Meanwhile the real race is on between Queensland Rail, the Brisbane buses and Comonwealth Games as to which of these fiascos will bring down the current government.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Gold Coast to the Far North they reckon

more like Upper Coomera to the Brisbane CBD

I wasn't aware they still built infrastructure outside of southeast QLD
They don't build infrastructure anywhwere!
It's a lame brain grasp at headlines from an incompetent pack of ratheads trying to salvage some form of credibility. Their latest fiasco is for the "would be" Premier Trad rejecting a report that concluded her $5.4 billion cross river rail tunnel project is a fanciful waste of money as it would not be financially viable.
Her reply "I don't think that's right and we'll go ahead and build it anyway". DUH!!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I don't see an issue with this if they go ahead with it.
At least it'll hopefully kick start the other states to do the same.

Fuel stations should add these quick charge stations as well, one of two of them.
Don't have to make money out of them but if they have an adjoining cafe/restaurant, customers will likely head there for a break while the charge is happening.
Old 28-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Build a full size Scaletrix track/road and cars and put workers on tight corners to put the cars back on the road when they come off.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"the first of many fast-charging electric vehicle stations
awww, i thought this might be some sort of road that charges your car as you drive along it giving you a top-up, not stopping for 12 hours to recharge.
Old 29-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Is a superhighway a highway without the stupid 110/110kph limits that were relevant in the 80s?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tesla will be massive here in a couple of years, we're going to need this.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #17
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely for QLD, N.T, W.A, Alice Springs and even Northern parts of S.A we could have massive areas of solar panels for each state seeing as these areas get U.V rays at least 75% of the year???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #18
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a lot of EV vehicles the other day when I went to the new Darling Harbour Exhibition Centre in Sydney, that I didn't even know existed.
Near the entry doors from in the car park there are heaps of EV car parking spots with EV Recharging Gizmos laid out for EV vehicles.
Going by what was parked in the spots, Falcons, Commodores and Landcruisers are all EV. Who would have thought.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #19
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I don't see an issue with this if they go ahead with it.
At least it'll hopefully kick start the other states to do the same.

Fuel stations should add these quick charge stations as well, one of two of them.
Don't have to make money out of them but if they have an adjoining cafe/restaurant, customers will likely head there for a break while the charge is happening.
I don't know how they are going to work this out.

While it's a car here and a car there I don't see an issue.
But when I'm in the city I'm amazed how long the lines now get at servos during peak hour. A petrol car takes 5 minutes to do your business and be off. These electric cars are going to need to sit for hours.

Are service stations going to turn into massive carparks?
Will servos ultimately disappear?

The government offering this power for free is a huge mistake. Once you give people something for nothing it is next to impossible to undo.

Governments need to think very carefully about what they are doing here, they are going to lose all the road tax from petrol excise for starters.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #20
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what about a trailer carry diesel generator can plug in at rest or parking area while charging Tesla car and when batteries are full unplug power point and off you go with trailer behind ???

so if i brought
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #21
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Are service stations going to turn into massive carparks?
Will servos ultimately disappear?

The government offering this power for free is a huge mistake. Once you give people something for nothing it is next to impossible to undo.
No one in a city is going to go to a service station to fill up, because they'll be doing that at home, at work, when out shopping, etc.
Servos are already pretty much just a convenience store. Some may disappear, but most will just be another 7-11.

On the road up the coast, a lot of those big service stations already are big car parks. People stop for meals and whatever, and those car parks will become the refueling stations, not the bowsers.

It's not impossible. They say it was an incentive with a limited time frame.
Sure, people bitch and moan if they start charging, but hell, people are gonna bitch and moan about them giving it away in the first place.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I suppose the fact that there's an election coming up in QLD next year has absolutely nothing to do with this press release
Old 30-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #23
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly47 View Post
So what about a trailer carry diesel generator can plug in at rest or parking area while charging Tesla car and when batteries are full unplug power point and off you go with trailer behind ???
That's what I would do. I'd drive a Tesla for the performance , not to be green. I wouldn't give too hoots if the electricity was from a stinky old diesel.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #24
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I suppose the fact that there's an election coming up in QLD next year has absolutely nothing to do with this press release
What are ya talkin about? Of course not.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
No one in a city is going to go to a service station to fill up, because they'll be doing that at home, at work, when out shopping, etc.
Servos are already pretty much just a convenience store. Some may disappear, but most will just be another 7-11.

On the road up the coast, a lot of those big service stations already are big car parks. People stop for meals and whatever, and those car parks will become the refueling stations, not the bowsers.

It's not impossible. They say it was an incentive with a limited time frame.
Sure, people bitch and moan if they start charging, but hell, people are gonna bitch and moan about them giving it away in the first place.
True, we don't have those huge servos like I've seen on the Hume over here.

They will be needed though, because of distances involved you would have to stop at every town for a charge on the Gt Northern Hwy.

Saw my first ever electric car this morning. Old mate stopped at the caravan park and pinched an outlet for charging while he went into the post office. lol.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #26
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
awww, i thought this might be some sort of road that charges your car as you drive along it giving you a top-up, not stopping for 12 hours to recharge.
You'd need some chicken wire above with a pole sticking up out the back of the car too!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #27
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
You'd need some chicken wire above with a pole sticking up out the back of the car too!
And the added bonus of that set up is you can have a head on and bounce off the other vehicle with no injuries . Me thinks your onto something there.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #28
snowcone

Lots of greenies here talking Teslas.
Forget about the enormous and expensive Lithium battery that will also have disposal issues in the future.
You do know they have an aluminium body right?
Do you know how much electricity is required to manufacture aluminium?
You do know the electricity to make this aluminium is coming from coal fired thermal power stations right?
The whole eco thing is one big crock of steaming ****
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #29
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
Forget about the enormous and expensive Lithium battery that will also have disposal issues in the future.
You do know the electricity to make this aluminium is coming from coal fired thermal power stations right?
And what do they do with the lithium once the battery fails?

Can they re-use it like they do with lead batteries these days???

Or do they just refill the massive mining holes with dead batteries and cover it over with fill and let it rot for a 1,000's of years.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #30
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
Don't forget the lithium has to be mined and that probably involves some multinational company is a third world country using slave labour but we don't want to talk about that because electric cars are green right.