Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Default Are Tickford xr8 springs different to Tickford xr6 springs ???

I'm chasing up a set of tickford lowered springs to suit my AU2 fairmont ghia with 6cyl VCT and obviously IRS. I've been told that XR8 springs will do the job. I'm paranoid that the front springs will make the car sit up slightly higher than the back (due to being made to hold up the extra weight of the V8). Does anyone know if XR8 springs are the same as XR6 (VCT) springs?????

Cheers

stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
adumb
FG G6ET

I'm fairly sure they would be different to cater for the weight difference between the I6 and V8
adumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not 100% sure about tickford springs but the pedders catalogue they are the same part number for both 6cly and 8cly but there is a note that says the 8's sit about 10-20mm?? (can't remember the exact number), lower than the 6's. The spring rates are also meant to be the same.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
brad`
The Monty

part numbers are the same for all front springs regardless of a 6 or 8. your correct in saying that it will sit a little lower but not that much u would notice unless u really studied it.
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
stoodoo

Thanks guys. I'll probably pick up a set of second hand tickford springs next week. Will I need to get new shocks to suit them or will I be ok with the stock fairmont ghia shocks? Recommendations? The other springs I was looking at was a set of new lovells sport lows. I can get the second hand tickford springs for $150 for the set, not sure about the price on the lovells. Do you think it would be worthwhile spending extra money on the lovells or not?

Cheers
Old 22-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
TUF-640

ive heard running stock shocks with such a small lowering drop should be ok, but i think they will wear out just not as quick as they would if you were going alot lower. $150 sounds a bit pricey for tickford springs IMO i picked up 2nd hand king springs for $100 and less on another set. I had pedders comfort gas put in the rear of mine when super lows were installed and to be honest i hardly noticed a difference between the factory lowered monroes (that were 150,000kms old) and these new things. Apparently lovells are pretty good in terms of functionality and ride quality. Everyone says kings are rubbish but to me they feel exactly the same as tickford springs so it might pay to spend the bit extra for a better quality product.
Good luck with everything

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Weekender: 1989 NA II Fairlane - Rosewood | Standard (with functioning SLS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
TUF-640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just picked up Kings SL front, SSL rear for my XR8, and I payed $250 for all 4 springs, brand new. If you want stock XR8 Springs, PM me, I'll do them cheap!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
stoodoo

I ended up buying the factory "tickford" second hand springs, though am a little worried after pressure washing them reading a tag on two of the springs which on one side says Herrod motorsport and on the other side, either HFFL-57SSL or MFFL-57SSL. I asked for stock tickford springs, and it appears to me they may in fact be a super super low spring? Anyone know of this herrod motorsport number, because I don't want to go to the trouble of changing my springs over for these, if they're super super lows. Don't get me wrong, i'd love the look of the super seper lows, but I still like my comfort.

Cheers
Old 25-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoodoo
I ended up buying the factory "tickford" second hand springs, though am a little worried after pressure washing them reading a tag on two of the springs which on one side says Herrod motorsport and on the other side, either HFFL-57SSL or MFFL-57SSL. I asked for stock tickford springs, and it appears to me they may in fact be a super super low spring? Anyone know of this herrod motorsport number, because I don't want to go to the trouble of changing my springs over for these, if they're super super lows. Don't get me wrong, i'd love the look of the super seper lows, but I still like my comfort.

Cheers
Youve got Super Super Lows which will be lower than SL height.

XR height = Low Height in Kings etc
SL = lower again
SSL = Lowest you can get without going custom made.
Old 25-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
321Go

As has been said, no difference between XR6 and XR8 springs. AU3 XR had same springs and shocks as T3 TE50.

What you have there is not Tickford/factory springs. Herrod used King springs depending on customer needs and budget, so I'm pretty sure what you have there are King made Herrod springs.
321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
TUF-640

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870-cse
As has been said, no difference between XR6 and XR8 springs. AU3 XR had same springs and shocks as T3 TE50.

What you have there is not Tickford/factory springs. Herrod used King springs depending on customer needs and budget, so I'm pretty sure what you have there are King made Herrod springs.
looks like that. The part numbers are almost identical to king springs and with that said would definitely be 'super super lows' as you guys call them lol but they're correct name is 'ultra lows' as on the catalogue

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Quote:

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
Old 25-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF-640
looks like that. The part numbers are almost identical to king springs and with that said would definitely be 'super super lows' as you guys call them lol but they're correct name is 'ultra lows' as on the catalogue
Theyre called 'Super Super Low' cos the part number is SSL but yes you are correct that they refer to them as Ultralow in their cattledog. Weirdos.
Old 26-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
TUF-640

yeah exactly what i was trying to say. But it makes no sense, my mates commodore has ultra lows all round the fronts have SSL in the part number but the rears only have SL yet they are deff ultras because he use to have supers in there. But to me SSL's of any sort are just not practical enough for driveways/speed bumps etc. thats why i stuck to SL's :P

Quote:

Old 26-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
stoodoo

All good guys, the bloke who sold them to me was happy to give me my money back for them, and I've now got myself a set of Lovell's sport lows. Now, I just need to fit them. Will put up some piccies when done.

Cheers