Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Loose Steering - AU s1 Fairmont

Howdy All,

Long story short, my AU has had some steering issues for quiet some time and appears to be getting worse.

I first noticed this on a rainy trip back from Canberra (when I still had the 20's). It felt very loose and sloppy on the road. I thought it was caused by the tyres/wheels and left it at that.

Not long after that, the wheels were stolen and I had put the 16" xr6 wheels on and started to really notice an issue.

It basically wheels like the front end is loose and the car wobbles all over the place. Straight lines, corners etc it will randomly dart left of right depending on the bump I hit at the time, which is really starting to make me worry.

I have had a few thoughts of what it may be. It needs a wheel alignment badly so possibly I am over correctly when it goes out of line as I am used to the heavy EB steering not the ultra light AU steering? (doubt it)

Possibly the sway bar is loose? It currently has a 32mm Whiteline job that is only 1-2 years old, but I put this in myself?

Would old/stuffed bushes cause this? Or even buggered shocks/springs?

Any advice is welcome as this is really starting to make me worry and taking a lot of the job out of driving the old girl.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Loose Steering - AU s1 Fairmont

i was having similar issues with mine not long ago with 17's on it. got a wheel alignment and the toe was pretty bad on the left front. it was set back to specs and has been fine since.

how many k's are on the car? the steering rack might be getting worn (i think mine is) and need replacing. they're not too expensive. you can change it yourself but you will need an alignment before you drive it too much or you will just scrub tyres out.

from what i understand it's referred to as "tramlining" where the wheels are steering the car as opposed to the driver. mine was pretty bad especially on the freeway, you couldn't keep it in a straight line and forget about taking a left or right hand turn under medium braking, the car was all over the road...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car has 175000 on the clock, but has actually done around 160000 (diff gears put it out).

I will get a wheel alignment done when I put the new 20's on and see if it makes a difference.

Is yours still doing this after the wheel alignment or is it still happening?

Old 15-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite possibly the intermediate steering shaft.
The TL50 we recently bought was sloppy in the steering & the shaft was picked up on the roadworthy.
Cost us around $400 for the shaft as it is a genuine item only.
Much better & great to drive again.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I took it into pedders they would be easily able to determine if the intermediate shaft had gone wouldn't they?

$400 seems reasonable considering how it feels at the moment!

Old 15-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If it's the intermediate shaft, you should hear it clicking when you turn.

I'd say you have very worn ball joints - take it to Pedders for their 28 point safety check - they will pick up anything wrong with it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

I'd say you have very worn ball joints - take it to Pedders for their 28 point safety check - they will pick up anything wrong with it.
And then get someone else to do the work..LOL Im yet to have a good experience with them.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Have the front end checked out, as what you have described could either be worn front end bits, or the wheel alignment is out miles. However my bet is, worn front end bits.

BODES-SH. What do you mean, the left front toe was out? Doesn't make any sense to me, and I do wheel alignments for a crust.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'm going with intermediate steering shaft as well.
My AUII one was stuffed ... I was literally countersteering to keep it on my side of the road.

I had no clicking though.

I bought a 2nd hand good one from FTG a while back for about $110. Once installed it was amazing to have good steeting back again.

If you have someone shifting the steering wheel left/right while you have your head under the bonnet ... you can see the shaft from the firewall down to the rack ... there is like a mid-section with a bush and pin through it ... if the top section moved and the lower section doesn't ... it's definitely the shaft.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Same problem I had on my AU1 Fairmont at 175k, it was my ball joints that snapped. Kept getting worse and worse, felt like the front axle was about to snap off.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Have the front end checked out, as what you have described could either be worn front end bits, or the wheel alignment is out miles. However my bet is, worn front end bits.

BODES-SH. What do you mean, the left front toe was out? Doesn't make any sense to me, and I do wheel alignments for a crust.
Yep, I know you do. I was expecting your reply in here... from memory there was either way too much toe in or out on the front left, it was nearly double the spec. I have no idea why, the car hadn't been driven too much prior, so I dunno... I don't think I have the alignment sheet anymore so I can't chech it to see how far it was and which way.
Old 16-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Take it to Tony at Riverina Steering, next to BBQ,s Galore, a good bloke and wont rip you off.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
Yep, I know you do. I was expecting your reply in here... from memory there was either way too much toe in or out on the front left, it was nearly double the spec. I have no idea why, the car hadn't been driven too much prior, so I dunno... I don't think I have the alignment sheet anymore so I can't chech it to see how far it was and which way.

Curiosity. Was the steering wheel off centre?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 17-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Curiosity. Was the steering wheel off centre?
Yep, pretty sure it was pulling left fairly badly too.
Old 17-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Yep, pretty sure it was pulling left fairly badly too.

Explains why they said the toe was bad on the left.

Generally when you're adjusting the toe on a car, if the steering wheel is central, you turn the rack ends an even amount. However if it's off centred, you're adjusting one end more than the other to centralise the steering wheel. (Make sense)

So the mob that did the alignment were trying to be smart in justifying why you had tyre wear, instead of saying it straight out.

Old 18-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Explains why they said the toe was bad on the left.

Generally when you're adjusting the toe on a car, if the steering wheel is central, you turn the rack ends an even amount. However if it's off centred, you're adjusting one end more than the other to centralise the steering wheel. (Make sense)

So the mob that did the alignment were trying to be smart in justifying why you had tyre wear, instead of saying it straight out.
Nope, not quite the case. I knew the toe was out myself, front left was getting slight inside edge wear, plus the pulling. That's the main reason i got the alignment. I actually saw the alignment being done and got the print out afterwards showing previous angles. I'm pretty sure toe was almost double what it should have been. From memory somewhere around the -1.5deg mark when it should be about +0.7deg...

Anyway, that's getting off topic now, although it could be a similar issue to the op
Old 18-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Nope, not quite the case. I knew the toe was out myself, front left was getting slight inside edge wear, plus the pulling. That's the main reason i got the alignment. I actually saw the alignment being done and got the print out afterwards showing previous angles. I'm pretty sure toe was almost double what it should have been. From memory somewhere around the -1.5deg mark when it should be about +0.7deg...

Anyway, that's getting off topic now, although it could be a similar issue to the op

You obviously didn't understand what I had written about toe adjusting and how it effects the straightness of a steering wheel.

So to help a little more. Before the adjustment is made, the steering wheel is locked in place, where ever the operator wants it to end up, after adjustments are made. So if I were to lock the steering wheel on your car so the toe readings were even before I adjusted it, once the adjustments were made, the steering wheel would come out exactly where it was when you presented the car to me for the job. ie crooked..... off centred....not straight.

Or alternatively, I could lock the stering wheel, so your left hand toe showed +7 deg and adjusted accordingly. This would have meant after adjustment the steering wheel would have been off centred the opposite way to what it previously was. So then it'd be more difficult to make up a weak explanation, like the place did, as to why you had the tyre wear issue

Oh and you are right. It is going off topic and no it has nothing to do with the OP's problem.

Old 18-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You obviously didn't understand what I had written about toe adjusting and how it effects the straightness of a steering wheel.

So to help a little more. Before the adjustment is made, the steering wheel is locked in place, where ever the operator wants it to end up, after adjustments are made. So if I were to lock the steering wheel on your car so the toe readings were even before I adjusted it, once the adjustments were made, the steering wheel would come out exactly where it was when you presented the car to me for the job. ie crooked..... off centred....not straight.

Or alternatively, I could lock the stering wheel, so your left hand toe showed +7 deg and adjusted accordingly. This would have meant after adjustment the steering wheel would have been off centred the opposite way to what it previously was. So then it'd be more difficult to make up a weak explanation, like the place did, as to why you had the tyre wear issue

Oh and you are right. It is going off topic and no it has nothing to do with the OP's problem.
i understood perfectly what you said about adjusting toe. the specs i had on there were what it was reading when he had the steering wheel set straight ahead. these were on the print out after the alignment had been finished. i can't actually remember if the steering wheel was off centre, i think it was very slightly, but it know it was pulling left a fair bit, and contrary to what i said above i actually vaguely remember the left tyre wear was ok but the inside edge of the front right was wearing excessively.

the tyre shop never said anything about tyre wear to me at all, in fact i told them when i got there that the front left (i swapped left to right before the alignment) had inside edge wear, but it had been on the front right. (swapped them because i didn't know how long until i was going to be able to get it in for an alignment).

funnily enough, even though i don't work in the tyre industry i know enough about how different alignment settings need to be adjusted and how they affect the way the car drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
The car has 175000 on the clock, but has actually done around 160000 (diff gears put it out).

I will get a wheel alignment done when I put the new 20's on and see if it makes a difference.

Is yours still doing this after the wheel alignment or is it still happening?
sorry i didn't reply to this earlier. it is fine now after an alignment, doesn't pull either way on different road surfaces.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
i understood perfectly what you said about adjusting toe. the specs i had on there were what it was reading when he had the steering wheel set straight ahead. these were on the print out after the alignment had been finished. i can't actually remember if the steering wheel was off centre, i think it was very slightly, but it know it was pulling left a fair bit, and contrary to what i said above i actually vaguely remember the left tyre wear was ok but the inside edge of the front right was wearing excessively.

the tyre shop never said anything about tyre wear to me at all, in fact i told them when i got there that the front left (i swapped left to right before the alignment) had inside edge wear, but it had been on the front right. (swapped them because i didn't know how long until i was going to be able to get it in for an alignment).

funnily enough, even though i don't work in the tyre industry i know enough about how different alignment settings need to be adjusted and how they affect the way the car drives.

sorry i didn't reply to this earlier. it is fine now after an alignment, doesn't pull either way on different road surfaces.

Reading your comments, I severly doubt you actually do know much about alignment settings. So i'll leave it right there.

Old 18-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #20
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reading your comments, I severly doubt you actually do know much about alignment settings. So i'll leave it right there.
right so in that case it seems like you are just like most other "tradespeople" who apparently know everything there is to know about the industry they work in. I don't really care anyway, I don't need to prove anything to anyone, especially on a forum on the internet. I'll just let you sit up on your high horse believing everybody is below you and leave it at that.