Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #91
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Pepe - I understand where you are coming from, but surely you are making a mistake about just comparing the XR5T and XR6T? Realistically shouldn't you ALSO look at the Holden Commodore SS (Sure, your a Ford fan so forget that), a VW Golf GTI, Megane Cup, Mazda3 SP23 (not as much power till the MPS) etc.

Like you said, you REALLY want the XR6T....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #92
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
...spending less initially, and having lower ongoing costs.

So for a buyer like me its a very real alternative. Im a bit distressed about supply suggestions above though....I dont have a ton of time to source a car and it may be that I'll have to pass it over just because I cant get one in the needed time frame (end of lease)....
Don't bank on ongoing costs being cheaper! Fuel consumption should be better, but will the XR5 need 98 octane fuel @ ~10c/ litre dearer than normal unleaded (and what does the XR6T need too?)

Spare parts prices and servicings are also likely to be dearer for the XR5.

You'd be one of the minority IMHO who would be choosing between the two. Most people either need a Falcodore for their size or else they just like being the captain of a barge! Give me a smaller car that handles anyday.
Old 18-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #93
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Pepe...

After some thought what you said it true. I think what I mean about people not comparing the 5T and 6T was in regards to someone mentioning the price for the 5T was too dear, and too close to the 6.

As you stated, you are thinking about the 5 after wanting a 6. Hence, you prove the theory that the 5T is priced correctly, as you have seen the merits in saving money, and on going fuel costs also.

What I was explaining before was people that ORIGINALLY begin looking at the 5T will not even consider the 6T, as I can almost guarantee that was not what they were after in the first place. Most want a Hot Hatch - and usually european (till the MPS Mazda3 is out). This is the reason they wouldn't really consider a Taxi Barge, but probably look at the 5T competitors instead

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 18-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #94
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Points well taken gents, if I had originally been after a 5T style vehicle I'd see it unlikely I'd look at the 6T.

Bear in mind also Ford will cut a better deal than many of the Japanese/Euro brands as Im buying novated (or Holden for that matter). Mitsu is ok too... Thats our particular companies buying power anyway...So Im pretty 'focussed' (sorry) on the Ford product

I know there are better cars, but I reckon even without discounting the XR5T is a pretty tough thing to beat value wise right now....resale ought to be good too.

Im not expecting to have fun without paying for it someplace Premium fuel etc still works out a better value proposition overall with a $10K+ price differential....

Think I might be screwed anyway if supply issues in this thread are accurate, I'll have to ask my Ford guy tomorrow....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #95
zetec
Zoom Zoom

95 octane is the only required fuel, but it will happily run on Ultimate/Optimax.
Old 19-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #96
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Has anyone actually got one down to 34K driveaway???? Or anywhere near that???

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
Old 19-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #97
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't think that would be possible seeing there has been huge demand for the car so far.. Have heard rumours of unless you have already ordered be prepared to wait until early 2007....
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 04:58 AM   #98
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Has anyone actually got one down to 34K driveaway???? Or anywhere near that???
Hi PepeLePew,

Some very lucky people have gotten the price down to that figure but only under employee discount...

Plenty of real scenario discussion regarding pricing on a certain forum. I could tell you where to look, i hope it's obvious ;)

The XR5T is in hot demand so naturally the dealers are keeping their margins a little higher.

As per usual if your trading in a car you can do some jelly wrestling between dealerships and maximise your trade in.

There are a few still floating around from the first shipment... but i wouldn't hesitate if you are looking to make a quick decision.

Cheers,
Miyagi

PS - Also don't let a dealership telling you that they wont be here till next year put you off or anything... if you've done even a little bit of research on the car.. you'll know more than them (quite disappointing how little info the dealers have).
Old 21-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #99
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

When are these things getting to the dealer? I heard Late April release dates... I do believe it is late April now. I WANT A DRIVE IN ONE

Old 21-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #100
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll probably find test drives will be hard to get unless you've virtually signed on the dotted line!
Old 21-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #101
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
You'll probably find test drives will be hard to get unless you've virtually signed on the dotted line!
I know someone that works at Ford, and drove my car when it was 3 days old. So, I better get to drive one

*And no Matt, I'm not refering to you - a sales person

Old 21-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #102
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

One member who has been very lucky has been assured they are receiving theirs today... i expect to see some excited noise around the traps tonight. :thumbsup:
Old 21-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #103
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi
One member
Ahem *cough*... Who? :

Old 21-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #104
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Well hopefully they post some pics, one of the hardest things I've found is finding GOOD photos of the various colour options....

The Ford mockups are crap and wouldnt sell me a igloo.

Old 21-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #105
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The local ford dealership has one sitting out the front now with trade plates on.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #106
Lurks
Starter Motor

I got a call from my dealer today.. straight after they'd unloaded my XR5 from the truck.

Picking it up on Monday afternoon... glad I was already taking the day off work.
Lurks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #107
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
The local ford dealership has one sitting out the front now with trade plates on.
Hey mate which dealer is that, not Singo Ford is it?

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #108
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All i can say is it's a great car to drive and has some good power for a little car and handles well.

All i need to do is get used of the blinkers / wipers being on oposite sides and all will be good ( unless people know if i put the wipers on im turning LOL which is what i was doing )

There will be one of these puppies in the lane in the near future. ( My daughter will be getting it, but dad likes it :eclipsee_ )
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #109
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
There will be one of these puppies in the lane in the near future. ( My daughter will be getting it, but dad likes it :eclipsee_ )
Can you be my dad too?!
Old 22-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #110
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi
Can you be my dad too?!
LOL champ, the wife wants a red GT after this , Ford have a lot to answer for i think.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #111
zetec
Zoom Zoom

LEGEND!!!!!

How old's your daughter? (Sorry, if someone was going to ask amongst all these young Focus nutters, best be the most respectable, well liked and eligible one here!)
Old 23-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #112
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
LEGEND!!!!!

How old's your daughter? (Sorry, if someone was going to ask amongst all these young Focus nutters, best be the most respectable, well liked and eligible one here!)
Are you interested in the daughter or the XR5T? :

Old 23-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #113
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Was I interested in you or your car?
Old 23-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #114
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Was I interested in you or your car?
Bloody hope not!

Old 23-04-2006, 12:44 AM   #115
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

/me wonders if i've sent this thread into a spiralling off topic mess
Old 23-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #116
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

girl + xr5 = hot
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #117
BlackLS

This afternoon saw a Black XR5T doing a lap around Dominelli Ford and the Kirawee industrial zone. Its bloody quick, and when I had the short glimpse of it going past it looked bloody amazing.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #118
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
This afternoon saw a Black XR5T doing a lap around Dominelli Ford and the Kirawee industrial zone. Its bloody quick, and when I had the short glimpse of it going past it looked bloody amazing.
Hope that's not a customer’s car they're out there thrashing! What's the deal with that anyway, I mean if my car is delivered to me with any amount of km on the clock, am I right to be angry? I realise it has to loaded and unloaded, but that shouldn’t even add up to a single km. These cars need to be run in before being flogged to death!

I think it is extremely disappointing that you can pay the best part of 40k for a car, and it has already been thrashed by some irresponsible staff members, and potentially had its engine life cut short!
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #119
krusic
XR5T Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Hope that's not a customer’s car they're out there thrashing! What's the deal with that anyway, I mean if my car is delivered to me with any amount of km on the clock, am I right to be angry? I realise it has to loaded and unloaded, but that shouldn’t even add up to a single km. These cars need to be run in before being flogged to death!

I think it is extremely disappointing that you can pay the best part of 40k for a car, and it has already been thrashed by some irresponsible staff members, and potentially had its engine life cut short!
Too right.

I went down and had a look at my car the day it came into the dealers. I also took a photograph of the number of Kms that it had done. If there are any more than about 1 or 2 km I will be asking for and explanation.
krusic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #120
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Grunt
Hey mate which dealer is that, not Singo Ford is it?

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
Cross Country Ford. It's black with recaros in the front with red inserts I think (not leather tho).
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post