Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
crannersEL
Banned

Default Lowered Springs

Hey all, ive been calling around getting quotes on lowering my car. Im going to get my mechanic to do them for me and his quoted around the $380 mark, springs and labour included.

He has advised me to get my rims before i lower the car, because the springs will sit differently with the two different wheel sizes. It will be from stock 15's to prob a 17" rim a little later down the track.

Should i wait untill i can get my rims, so it all sits properly.

Also im only going for "Lows" due to issues with insurance company, and i dont want to be scraping my underbody on everything also :
He also said the Lows will lower the car around 30mm!

Thanks Paul

crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

well i got 17" tickfords with the car still at stock hieght and the clearance is around 165mm. i would get the rims first tho. wouldn't wanna spend the $$$ and have "johnny law" tell u its no good!
;)
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lows drop 30mm
Superlows drop 50-60mm

*aproximately*
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Jet-Star

Ive got an EF with 15" and its lowered, I got a wheel alignment when I lowered mine though, and I intend to get another one when I fit my 18's. I suggest you do the same, just get a wheel alignment and you'll be right.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

if you get a good allignment place to sort your car out doesnt matter what size rim u have

its a fair price 200/200 springs/labour
Old 16-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
John_LS1

lower it first. a jacked car with 17's looks gay.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
crannersEL
Banned

Just had a look under the car, and the exhaust that i had fitted late last year has been installed really low. So i guess im going to have to organise it to be re installed a little higher than what it is now. Otherwise i think ill be scrapping on everything.
Old 16-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

get it fixed. simple. take it back, and say your not happy with the job, u willsupplement them some money but expect it to be fixed.
Old 16-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i put lows on my el and it dropped about 50mm with the 15 inch sapphire wheels on
if ya want before and after photos ill post them for ya

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
Jet-Star

Please post them Heljas, or email them to me i'd love to see it..
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
EFDream
XRR83D

I put super lows in my while I still had the factory 15s on and then a few weeks later got 17s. My exhaust knocked on my diff everytime I hit a bump, put someone in the back, filled the tank. I had to get the exhaust lifted real quick!

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
xxxc
tuff

get super lows...................
xxxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMPT
get super lows...................
i second that!
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
Damo
Banned

you will be dissapointed with lows if you are lowering it so it looks and handles good.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #15
EFDream
XRR83D

You'll love superlows

Povo Pack

Old 16-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
Damo
Banned

oh and if you're worrried about scraping, i have had 5 people and full tanks in my EB on superlows and it didn't scrape on even some pretty big speed humps. I was kinda dissapointed :( my exhaust was installed good though it sits up nice and high.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #17
EFShelby
Precision Imagery

We have SSL springs with pedder shocks. she has 17" rims and it sit really nice. We do have some issues with height as it has about 80mm clearance at the cross member.
You will certainly need your exhaust tucked right up

cheers
Old 16-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #18
EDXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
oh and if you're worrried about scraping, i have had 5 people and full tanks in my EB on superlows and it didn't scrape on even some pretty big speed humps. I was kinda dissapointed :( my exhaust was installed good though it sits up nice and high.
lol i beat u then damo

im in scrap'sville baby wen it come's to pasenger's in the car lol

paul go low's at the front and sl's at the bk man thats a good combo if you'r wurry'd about hight

pluse i dont think the insurace companny will have a problem
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Normal insurance companies i.e RACV etc have a lowering policy of only 30mm below standard so if you have a gli, futura you can only go lows, but XR suspension equipped cars can go superlows as they are already 30mm lower than standard.
Old 17-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #20
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
Normal insurance companies i.e RACV etc have a lowering policy of only 30mm below standard so if you have a gli, futura you can only go lows, but XR suspension equipped cars can go superlows as they are already 30mm lower than standard.
So does this mean if Lows are fitted you will pay extra ontop of your insurance, or because its between the limits its ok if you just tell them about the mod?

See ive got full compo, and they only allow for a few mods. So im not sure whether the Lowering will void or even increase my current insurance fee.
Old 17-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #21
Clevo383
EF Monty on a budget

I'm planning on dropping my EF Fairmont soon, not sure on lows or super lows yet. Can anyone tell me what it will ride like with the factory shocks in there? Will it be real bumpy since the springs will be stiffer but shocks are soft? Is it worth swapping shocks out too?
Clevo383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #22
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
lower it first. a jacked car with 17's looks gay.
lol undoubtedly.

i got superlows. massive scrapage the other day.
Old 17-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
So does this mean if Lows are fitted you will pay extra ontop of your insurance, or because its between the limits its ok if you just tell them about the mod?

See ive got full compo, and they only allow for a few mods. So im not sure whether the Lowering will void or even increase my current insurance fee.
You'll have to ring up your insurance company to find out how it will affect your policy and whether or not they will let you do this mod or not.

Im with RACV and on my policy there fine as long as its not 30mm below factory height. I dont think i have a mod cap on the XR6 as i already have bodykit, exhaust, extractors, 17x8 wheels as well on it as well.
Old 17-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #24
EFDream
XRR83D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevo383
I'm planning on dropping my EF Fairmont soon, not sure on lows or super lows yet. Can anyone tell me what it will ride like with the factory shocks in there? Will it be real bumpy since the springs will be stiffer but shocks are soft? Is it worth swapping shocks out too?
I still have the factory shocks in mine and the ride is NOT bumpy. Its quite the opposite. I have been told it's recommended that i put other ones in but that'll only happen when I have the money. I"ll live with it till then.

Povo Pack

Old 21-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #25
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heljas
i put lows on my el and it dropped about 50mm with the 15 inch sapphire wheels on
if ya want before and after photos ill post them for ya
After seeing the pictures you sent me of your car Jase at the AFD i am really heading towards just getting lows. But ive got the feeling that mine wont drop and sit at the same height as yours for some reason.

I recken it will still be a 4X4 after it defeating the purpose of the lowering job :

But i guess considering supers are out of the question at this time, lows are the only way i can go :
Old 21-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #26
EA 290
EA 290

Quote:
After seeing the pictures you sent me of your car Jase at the AFD i am really heading towards just getting lows. But ive got the feeling that mine wont drop and sit at the same height as yours for some reason.

I recken it will still be a 4X4 after it defeating the purpose of the lowering job :

But i guess considering supers are out of the question at this time, lows are the only way i can go :
Hi There, well I think its all about taste, budget and what your looking for.
I have super lows front and back with top of the range koni adjustables.With mine I have 19' rims. I have only scraped mine twice on the same speed hump and that was with 3 adults in the back and a fulltank.

I do believe some of you here has seen pics of mine but if you like me to post them or email them pls let me know.

Car Club of NSW

www.ftf.org.au
EA 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #27
nos_james

iv got kings lows in my eb fairmont and it droped about 50mm after the first 2 weeks and stayed there the only thing that scrapes is the towbar. will be putting the 18s on when iv finished the respary then i might go lower realy should have gone sl right from the start.
nos_james is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #28
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

Hey guys i have pedders superlows red springs sitting in my shed...they still sit bit high even though the name suggests they r superlows anyone interested in buying them off me PM me...Cheerio!

Www.KurucuPerformance.Vze.Com
QUIKXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #29
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I have lows on my car, and just manage in and out of my driveway with the front bar that I have, when we move I am hoping for a flat driveway then SL's will go in and I will re-mod the SLS to suit the height .

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #30
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Quote:

I've got Pedders shocks and SLs and rarely scrape, regarldess of load. I had to change my insurance to Shannons coz NRMA wouldn't go below 30mm lower than standard (even though my EL originally came with XR suspension), but I actually saved money changing it. But before I lowered it, it didn't look lower than standard to me unless I parked next to a stocko.
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post