Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
BlueyXR6

Default Wrong Wrong Wrong

He guys, just thought i would share a pic i took today. I was on Silverwater Rd in Syd and saw a blue SS Commodore pull up beside me with green P's on it, no big deal untill i had a 2nd look!!!

I thought take a look at this try hard putting some fancy lights on his numberplate, then i realised what i was seeing...

Its a highway patrol car with green P's on it!!!

I got up next to it just to be sure and it was fully decked out no mistaking it.

If this isnt baiting people i dont no what is!!!

(First time posting a pic so sorry if it turned out weird.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 28-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty annoying, though I guess you have to give them the benefit of the doubt and wonder if it was indeed a P plater (work experience) driving it?
Old 28-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all in the name of safety i'm sure...
Old 28-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised you noticed the predominately obscured P plate before the plethora of antennas and the lights themselves.

Any chance someone put it on as a joke on the cops? If not I agree with you, very underhanded...
Old 28-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, the lights on the exhaust tips.. wonder how long they'd last
Old 28-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't look low enough for a Police SS and no SS badges on the boot either. Was the man inside wearing a uniform>
Old 28-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Also, the lights on the exhaust tips.. wonder how long they'd last
Are they lights or just reflectors?
Old 28-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Cops have been putting P-plates on their um marked cars for years. I saw it heaps in Sydney before I left. Particularly out west.

Yes it's sneaky. Yes it's wrong. But they are the law... Apparently.
Old 28-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They look like LED's to me?

Also it appears to be an SV6 rather than an SS.

Would be icing on the cake if it were an SS as P plater's can't drive V8's in NSW.

Also for anyone at home wondering, you can't have a P plate on display unless you are a P Plate driver.

Dad asked the cops a few years back whether he could be lazy and leave my plates on the car when he drove it, and said he understood he would have to follow the P Plate rules, but he was told no you can't have them there unless you hold that particular licence.
Old 28-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ever stopped to think that it the officer driving could be a green P-plater. In QLD you can be an officer on your P's as long as you have been for 12 months and also do an accredited defensive driving course (there is a certain one). You also have to do 2 weeks of training in the car while at the academy as a recruit.
But then again, in QLD you dont need to display your P's when driving a marked police car. Im not sure about unmarked.
Old 28-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I don't know how it is down south, but in QLD you must have an open licence as a requirement for joining the police service. If it is the same down there, (I believe it would be, but like I said, I'm not sure). How is it baiting? I hate to join this crowd but, if your doing everything right, then it shouldn't be a problem. As previously said you should have noticed the ariels, lights, & tinted windows first!! It IS misleading & wrong if it is a requirement to have an open licence to be a member of the police service. But its not "baiting".
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 28-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Yes its an SV6 (single exhaust tip at both corners). Interesting that there are no boot badges either...

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 28-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
I don't know how it is down south, but in QLD you must have an open licence as a requirement for joining the police service. If it is the same down there, (I believe it would be, but like I said, I'm not sure). How is it baiting? I hate to join this crowd but, if your doing everything right, then it shouldn't be a problem. As previously said you should have noticed the ariels, lights, & tinted windows first!! It IS misleading & wrong if it is a requirement to have an open licence to be a member of the police service. But its not "baiting".

Im going through the process now, and have been to the recruiting seminar.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/join/re...er+Licence.htm

A current Australian Provisional Driver Licence with 12 months driving experience AND successful completion of a defensive driving course recognised by the Queensland Police Service (QPS).
Old 28-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
tweeked
N/A all the way

Nah, I reckon its just a SV6 starting to take its drive down the bad taste LED road to Fully Hectic.

Old 28-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Didn't you know, P plates save lives....

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with what i'm seeing here...
Old 28-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #17
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably a practical joke by someone. After all, if you approach it from the back, your more likely to notice the LED's and the aerials, than you would the obscured P Plate, thus negating any benefit of having the P Plate on the back.

Regardless of any tricks they try and do to fool people, they arent above the law, and just like they cant speed if its not required etc etc, they arent able to display P plates, unless the driver requires them.
Old 28-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
BlueyXR6

I also wondered if in a pursuit do they have to back off when they reach 100ks???

As i mentioned, it was fully decked out inside lights on windscreen, back parcel shelf, computer screen on bracket, radar the lot.
I did not get to see the driver casue the windows were to dark and i could not keep up as i was in a truck.
Exhaust are LED's and have seen them working before on others.
Ok so its an SV6, still the point remains...
Even if an officer was on their green P's im pretty sure it takes a few years at least to make it into the highway division? By that time surely they would have a full licence..
Old 28-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Im going through the process now, and have been to the recruiting seminar.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/join/re...er+Licence.htm

A current Australian Provisional Driver Licence with 12 months driving experience AND successful completion of a defensive driving course recognised by the Queensland Police Service (QPS).
Yes just found that. They have changed afew things to get more officers. When I looked into it, it was opens & that's it.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 28-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Nothing wrong with what i'm seeing here...
Thats what I was thinking??

Are you saying that there are no P-Plate cops out there??

And also - I doubt its a cop car...
Given its in fact an SV6...

More likely a young bloke who likes the LEDs, aerials, accessories, etc...

But I bet it slowed the OP down...
Old 28-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #21
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Thats what I was thinking??

Are you saying that there are no P-Plate cops out there??

And also - I doubt its a cop car...
Given its in fact an SV6...

More likely a young bloke who likes the LEDs, aerials, accessories, etc...

But I bet it slowed the OP down...
Plenty of SV6 cop cars in Qld.

Also noticed the cheeky buggers were using a BA ute for undercover speed camera operations.
Old 28-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from memory a family member here in vic had to show his p plates on any police vehicle he drove in the line of duty but i could be wrong wasover 10 yrs ago now

one of the vic guys could answer it better than me

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately a police car, but an SV6 as mentioned. You can also just see the SIDI badge on the guard.

Quote:
New undercover fleet for police

By Edith Bevin

ANY car on the road could now be a cop car, thanks to a NSW Police initiative to combat hoons and law breakers.

Highway patrol officers have used unmarked police cars for years.

But the latest scheme sees a range of high performance sports vehicles including Ford Falcon Typhoons and Suburu Impreza WRXs patrolling the streets.

The vehicles are fitted with the latest accessories and are in a range of colours – some even sporting “P” plates – to fit in with vehicles commonly associated with car hoons.

Police Traffic Services Commander Chief Superintendent John Hartley said the scheme was part of a ploy to “blend in” with the hoons.

“What we’re doing is using a combination of marked and unmarked police cars,” Supt Hartley said.

“We’re using covert style vehicles which are, in the main, high performance cars like the (Ford) Typhoons.

“They are a new strategy to get cars that blend in with the hoodlums.

“What we find is people don’t pick them as police cars and it’s easier to pick offences like speeding, using a mobile phone or not wearing a seatbelts.

“We’ve found that people usually slow down and modify their driving behaviour when they see a marked police car.

“What we’re trying to do is get the message across that anywhere, anytime, any car could be a police car.

“You won’t know whether the car beside you is a police car or not.”

But the fleet designed to catch law-breakers on the roads does not stop at new or sports-modified models.

Police are also deploying older, well-worn cars as part of their covert traffic operations, Supt Hartley said.

It seems to be working, with speeding and drink driving offences well down over the Christmas period.

And although it has a very serious side to it, the new cars are providing police with one or two “lighter moments”

“The officers tell me that they have had a couple of people pull alongside with the intention of a drag race,” Supt Hartley said. “They think the better of it when they look across and see a police uniform on the guy sitting behind the wheel.”

Supt Hartley said a “classic” example of the success of the scheme was the recent case of a hire car driver who was pulled over for speeding while ferrying a bride and groom.

Police began deploying the undercover vehicles in March when the State Government announced funding for an additional 50 highway patrol cars.

They took delivery of the fleet shortly before the Christmas traffic campaign.

“I think it’s having a big impact on the street racing and hoodlum activity (but) it’s probably to early to tell about general driving behaviour,” Supt Hartley said.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 28-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #24
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Plenty of SV6 cop cars in Qld.

Also noticed the cheeky buggers were using a BA ute for undercover speed camera operations.
Fair enough...

Interestingly... is that a 'legal' way of displaying the P plate??
I would have thought that an obstructed view of the P plate would not be deemed legal...

I got a warning about my P plate back in the day - as there was a sticker on my windscreen kinda close to it...
Old 28-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #25
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Ever stopped to think that it the officer driving could be a green P-plater...
The way they get around it, as we discovered, is the person driving the car falls under a 'work exception', and while legally he cannot pull you over, the senior of the two who is NOT driving CAN.

Happened to a mate of mine who went off at them for 'harassing' him (he had a bad day ) and baiting him. Cops simply said "he didn't pull you up, "I" did".
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 28-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #26
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Its not a cop on his P plates :\
It takes a while to get into highway division from what i've heard and after all the driver training do you still think they would let a P plater be responsible for highway pursuits?

Deff's a tricky bugger using P plates to fit in. Seen Red P's on a XR6 cop car a few weeks back passing through gymps. was an old officer just trying to bait some young drivers

And it really is baiting for young P Platers. How many P plater commodores do you reckon would try and make a pass on a P plater who has a performance car like the SV6 or XR6?
I bet loottsssss
Old 28-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #27
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

How are people not getting this, and what's the big deal?

It's a police officer with P plates displayed to trick and possibly bait idiots who want to do stupid crap, that's it.

Police officers are allowed to display P plates, as noted above.
Old 28-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #28
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are they allowed XR when the rest of the driving population can't?
Old 28-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #29
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Over here in SA the cops were getting around in VE SS utes taken on boys at the lights then whamo.
Think they have now stopped this due to entrapment laws.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*

Last edited by 20focus05; 28-09-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 28-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #30
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I wouldn't have a clue mate, I don't agree with it and think it's entrapment to be honest. But this isn't America, entrapment doesn't mean crap here.

I did a google search and it's been going on for years, other Forums with threads like this one from 2008 and so on.
Closed Thread