Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default removing LPG tank from AU2 Fairlane...?

Hey guys and girls,

Was wondering, what is the easiest way to go about removing an LPG tank from an AU2 Fairlane?

I really don't want to drop the IRS just to undo the bolts, but its looking that way.

I can do everything else FYI. I think Sox has recently done this too?

Cheers

Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: removing LPG tank from AU2 Fairlane...?

how did you go??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Still sitting there not done. I seriously don't want to drop the IRS just to remove it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

How about ringing an LPG fitter and asking their advice?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

It's the weekend. :P
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
portokatsiki

Can you get to the bolts form the inside? If so auberges you can drill them out.
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

I can get to the bolts from the inside, but the issue there is how can I drill into them? They're high tensile bolts, so yeah, I'd assume they can't be drilled into as easily.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

my gas tank was held in with nuts and bolts put a rattle gun on them and used the torque to undo them abit then levered the bolt up so the nut was pushing against the car body underneath and just managed to unscrew them that way not very efficient and was lucky mostly
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you have a couple of quality different size drill bits(cheap one`s........ forget it) you should be able to drill the head off them , i drilled out a couple of head bolts with a cordless drill, i used a smaller pilot bit first(say half the size of the bigger one) giving it a bit of oil every now and again so it does`nt get too hot, then did the same with the bigger bit, best not to run the drill to fast and risk melting the bit, at times you can get away with running it a bit faster if you have a lathe or a drill press......not by hand.
To drill them it would still be hard yakka in a confined space, i think i would look more into spannering them off.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post