Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #31
lovford
Banned

Default Re: Elon Musk launches latest falcon rocket for space X , with his favorites sports car on-board

That **** will kill someone one day. Should never have been allowed. Test rockets yes, but don't purposely pollute. Money not well spent. Saturn 5 was launched in 1969 was 3 times more powerful, but musk can reuse two of his boosters, big deal. No great leap for man kind.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #32
lovford
Banned

Default Re: Elon Musk launches latest falcon rocket for space X , with his favorites sports car on-board

How can that be a billionaires favourite sports car, looked like a 89 Mazda mx5
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-QSZhh_YWg

This video explains about the issue with space junk orbiting the earth. Kessler syndrome is what it's called.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #34
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
The reports say the car is off course and heading for an asteroid belt. It's said that even if the car makes it through the belt, the level of radiation will eventually disintegrate the car within a year.
Yep, another fail for Tesla/Musk
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #35
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as the car is called a Falcon.........I'm happy!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #36
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Credit where its due. That man is putting stuff in space!
Sometimes when plans are derailed it takes a display of some sort to instill confidence.
Good luck to him and those involved.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #37
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Launch might have been successful... But Tesla lost a staggering $1 billion in just three months.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tes...5cc4fa9e30e513
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #38
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Launch might have been successful... But Tesla lost a staggering $1 billion in just three months.

Maybe Musk plans on self launching himself into space ahead of the creditors and implosion of his business. He could aim for the Sun and be the first (and possibly only) human to reach the Sun.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #39
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Yeah that's true. Space junk causes a lot more problems that I ever thought. Apparently if we don't do something about it soon it could cause major issues in future space missions.
the space junk that is causing problems is the small stuff in earth orbit not the large easily trackable stuff like this.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #40
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
That **** will kill someone one day. Should never have been allowed. Test rockets yes, but don't purposely pollute.
really? I was just a little too young to really appreciate the Apollo stuff, but the thrill I got from seeing this launch, and especially the recovery of the two boosters on land was how I imagine everyone felt back then. That a private company can accomplish something like this is remarkable. I feel really sad that all some people can do is slag off the man and the company. No wonder nobody can be bothered to do anything these days. What's the point when everyone feels the need to drag you down to their level when you try.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #41
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to put it into perspective the atmospheric pollution of the falcon heavy is estimated by some web sites as around 1500 tons of CO2. That sounds a lot until you realise that at full power Hazelwood put out over 2000 tons of CO2 every hour
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #42
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Musk ... finally someone who can outdo Dick Smith in publicity stunts.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #43
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
really? I was just a little too young to really appreciate the Apollo stuff, but the thrill I got from seeing this launch, and especially the recovery of the two boosters on land was how I imagine everyone felt back then. That a private company can accomplish something like this is remarkable. I feel really sad that all some people can do is slag off the man and the company. No wonder nobody can be bothered to do anything these days. What's the point when everyone feels the need to drag you down to their level when you try.
Well, it is "Australian" Ford Forums after all. Tall poppy syndrome and all. Most amazing thing I have EVER seen was those two booster cores landing side by side. I mean WOW! When I first seen the boosters doing their reentry burn I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The times we live in.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #44
leesa

Quote:
I feel really sad that all some people can do is slag off the man and the company. No wonder nobody can be bothered to do anything these days. What's the point when everyone feels the need to drag you down to their level when you try.
They'll pat each other on the back about buying up investment properties at over-inflated prices and profiting from the equity though. Denying the younger generation from the chance to ever actually buy a home of their own to live in. What an accomplishment to be proud of.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #45
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Well, it is "Australian" Ford Forums after all. Tall poppy syndrome and all. Most amazing thing I have EVER seen was those two booster cores landing side by side. I mean WOW! When I first seen the boosters doing their reentry burn I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The times we live in.
Pretty much it. But I am really keen on seeing how many here can do it better, cheaper, faster. There are so many geniuses on this forum I am surprised none have already done it before, powering the rockets by their own self satisfaction.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #46
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the space junk that is causing problems is the small stuff in earth orbit not the large easily trackable stuff like this.
True, but when the smaller stuff hits the big stuff the big stuff has small parts fall off it and create more small junk to cause future issues.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #47
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Pretty much it. But I am really keen on seeing how many here can do it better, cheaper, faster. There are so many geniuses on this forum I am surprised none have already done it before, powering the rockets by their own self satisfaction.
Piecea**** mate, can't be assed this week though got to much on

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #48
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
im starting to think elon is the master of diversion tactics,oh look at that cute puppy over there while he under delivers
bingo! see below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #49
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
bingo! see below.
SpaceX and Tesla are different companies, different markets and clearly different customers.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #50
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Financial stuff aside, Musk is innovating & pushing big boundries, many kudos to him for that fact.

Not that many inventors that are economic geniuses too,
but he is a pioneer in his field no doubt.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #51
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I feel really sad that all some people can do is slag off the man and the company. No wonder nobody can be bothered to do anything these days. What's the point when everyone feels the need to drag you down to their level when you try.
It's way beyond any forum, and the hate isn't exclusive to Sir Elon. Most of mankind (sorry if that term triggers the SoyBoys) are not really that interested, or have been hating on NASA for decades, calling just about about everything they achieve a conspiracy theory (while happy to use their technology of course), or screaming that space exploration is a waste of money and the funds should be diverted to feed the homeless etc
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #52
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
We have two very different perspectives of the same scenario. He doesn't appear to be doing anything for the money of it, he seems to be trying to benefit humankind by making progress in technology and getting us into space. He makes a lot of money so he can blow a lot of money doing what he wants, which is to advance us a little further.

What other company would be perfectly ok with losing billions? He's not out to profit from you.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #53
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You understand that car is going to disintegrate due to radiation and while it's heading off through the solar system the pieces may very well end up in orbit around mars. Right where they are trying to go.

Yes it was spectacular although these rockets have done these party tricks for about 10 years now and yes it's great to see stuff in space again. But parts of what he did was irresponsible.

Every single piece of spacejunk that is up there now must be tracked or people will die.
There are currently 1.5 million pieces of junk orbiting earth being tracked.

It's a big problem.

I'm all for it but no more stunts please.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #54
Cruzycuzz

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...and he's driving a Tesla.
Cruzycuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #55
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Wow, a lot of saltiness I'm reading. Don't like? You do better or jog on!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #56
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Financial stuff aside, Musk is innovating & pushing big boundries, many kudos to him for that fact.

Not that many inventors that are economic geniuses too,
but he is a pioneer in his field no doubt.

cheers, Maka
What has Musk pioneered ?

Rockets - nope
Electric cars - nope
Over hype and non deliver - plenty of people have done that but he is the current global master!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #57
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

Rockets - nope
Electric cars - nope
Over hype and non deliver - plenty of people have done that but he is the current global master!
How dare you be critical of someone who has managed to make $1 billion in losses in 3 months. You are clearly just jealous you aren't a real business man like Musk.
This is AFF we only allow positive comments on every thread. It might hurt someones feelings if you point out any negativity.

Model S is a cool electric car which is helping electric cars become more accepted into society. The reusable rocket boosters are a good thing and will be a benefit to humanity. Now I will stop commenting.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #58
lovford
Banned

His car company has not had one profitable year, loosing 1 billion in the last three months alone. Yet the share price keeps rising. People think his Jesus. He should of that in the front seat of that car orbiting a planet for a billion years, because he will come crashing back to earth very soon.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #59
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

Rockets - nope
Electric cars - nope
This is a ok link -

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...space-science/

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #60
lovford
Banned

Quote:
You can watch the Apollo stuff on tv, just like you watched this on tv. All this bloke did was land two booster the third crash landed. I was not there for Appolo, but the docos made of it are freaking amazing.