Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Default Mobile Auto Electrician: Mona Vale

Hi folks, I am enquiring for an interstate relative in the Mona Vale area on a tight budget, who needs a good, reliable Auto Electrician to have a look at a problem vehicle. It's a 2004 Mazda 3 and it appears that the alternator has crapped itself but just want to get an expert opinion. They called Lubemobile and were quoted $650 to replace the alternator, which is more than they can really afford at the moment and, if that is not the sole cause of the drama, not a sound investment. The car doesn't start at this point, so a mobile service would be preferable. But any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Tony
1970XW351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mobile Auto Electrician: Mona Vale

Google tells me there are three in Mona vale.

Ring one and ask them to come around as the car won't start.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

That price sounds about right for Sydney.
Alternators going to be $200 + by itself plus the labour of replacement, might even be quoting them a new battery as well if it's been discharged beyond re charge.

Are they in the NRMA.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2018, 12:14 AM   #4
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Fair comment on the google search Mercury Bullet.. I actually hadn't managed to get that far myself.
My first thought was to throw a query up here and see if anyone had any personal experience with someone in the area.

In regards to the quote, roKWiz, it does seem like it would be about the going rate. Prices of alternators I found in a quick search ranged from $160 to about $440, other than wrecker specials under $100... Plus a couple hours labour... Plus callout. But the relative in question needs to get out of it as cheap as possible.

I don't think they are in the NRMA but will check. I have a lead on a good workshop nearby, so will pass that info along and see if they can help out. It definitely doesn't help being 1000 km away and getting vague descriptions of what is occurring via telephone and sms...

Maybe a trip to the big smoke is in order, with a bag full of tools.

Cheers, Tony
Old 14-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt a professional business will come to your door, supply and fit an alternator for under $650.

But here’s an idea, though it doesn’t solve the issue if the alternator isn’t actually the issue...
buy the $160 alternator, then post on Airtasker that you want someone to fit an alternator for $100. I almost guarantee you’ll have people offer to do it. Probably the cheapest way to do it. BUT you do take a risk going that option, as it may not be the alternator, and you’re getting a non-professional to do the job. That’s the risk you take if you don’t want to spend the $650.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970XW351 View Post
Fair comment on the google search Mercury Bullet.. I actually hadn't managed to get that far myself.
My first thought was to throw a query up here and see if anyone had any personal experience with someone in the area.

In regards to the quote, roKWiz, it does seem like it would be about the going rate. Prices of alternators I found in a quick search ranged from $160 to about $440, other than wrecker specials under $100... Plus a couple hours labour... Plus callout. But the relative in question needs to get out of it as cheap as possible.

I don't think they are in the NRMA but will check. I have a lead on a good workshop nearby, so will pass that info along and see if they can help out. It definitely doesn't help being 1000 km away and getting vague descriptions of what is occurring via telephone and sms...

Maybe a trip to the big smoke is in order, with a bag full of tools.

Cheers, Tony
Let us know how it goes, if he can not find anyone, I'm just down the road in Freshwater for the next 2 weeks.

2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure the alternator IS faulty before changing it!

Check car battery with multimeter before jump starting......It should be AT LEAST 12.5Volts.

Then Jump start battery and start engine.

While idling check for alternator charging on positive battery post for AT LEAST 13Volts up to 14.5 Volts with headlights on high beam.

If thers no Voltage going back into the battery then yes the alternator is faulty and requires replacement ASAP before the car battery fails aswell.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #8
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure the alternator IS faulty before changing it!

Check car battery with multimeter before jump starting......It should be AT LEAST 12.5Volts.

Then Jump start battery and start engine.

While idling check for alternator charging on positive battery post for AT LEAST 13Volts up to 14.5 Volts with headlights on high beam.

If thers no Voltage going back into the battery then yes the alternator is faulty and requires replacement ASAP before the car battery fails aswell.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Thanks for the suggestion mike_nofx, I'll pass it on. Although, as you say, it could end up done poorly, not done at all or being all in vain if the alternator isn't the problem...

I will let you know how we get on roKWiz, I haven't heard back today whether or not there was any success with the ring around of local businesses.

Thanks for that CoolBFWagon, that's the idea of getting an auto sparky to come and take a look first. Relly is convinced it is the alternator but they have no multimeter or tools to speak of and no way to definitively identify what the cause is. If I was there, I could run all of the tests you mentioned myself and make sure it's not just something draining the battery overnight before jumping straight to the alternator.

As I find out what's going on I will let you know. Thanks for all the input so far.

Cheers, Tony
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #10
Fordblue1000

Multi meters cost less than 20 bux at supercheap or jaycar. May be an option for them to do some fault finding so they have more of an idea?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Fordblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970XW351 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion mike_nofx, I'll pass it on. Although, as you say, it could end up done poorly, not done at all or being all in vain if the alternator isn't the problem...

I will let you know how we get on roKWiz, I haven't heard back today whether or not there was any success with the ring around of local businesses.

Thanks for that CoolBFWagon, that's the idea of getting an auto sparky to come and take a look first. Relly is convinced it is the alternator but they have no multimeter or tools to speak of and no way to definitively identify what the cause is. If I was there, I could run all of the tests you mentioned myself and make sure it's not just something draining the battery overnight before jumping straight to the alternator.

As I find out what's going on I will let you know. Thanks for all the input so far.

Cheers, Tony
Was going to suggest it could be a parasitic drain from the alternator causing it to discharge the battery first.
I had a similar thing with one of my Traders after installing load resistors on the rear LED turn signals, traced it back to the alternator.
I run amp and volt meters in all the trucks.
At the battery, 14.4volts the multimeter should read with the engine running.

Old 15-03-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Well, the problem has been solved and the car is back on the road once more. It would appear that the regulator went somewhat mad and decided that the battery needed severe and bewildering punishment for some, probably imagined slight against its good name... So it boiled the poor little guy to death.. (not cool as it was but a lad... Only three months of this Earth... Well, three months in the car in question in any case.)

It's at this point that I must shamelessly plug the services of Dee Why Auto Care at 181 South Creek road, Cromer. In particular, Steve who operates the Auto Electrical section of their establishment. When contacted late on Wednesday, he told my relative to clutch start the car and drop it out the front if possible. By this morning, he had figured out the problem and shortly after lunch, it was fixed. and for less than half of what was quoted by ye olde lube mobile, new battery, new regulator, all associated labour costs.

My relative is overjoyed to have the car back in order so quickly and for less dollars than expected. So thank you to everyone who has looked in and given advice.

Cheers, Tony
Old 16-03-2018, 01:21 AM   #13
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bloke is a legend - and my uncle.
I’ve seen him with customers and he is a no nonsense straight to the point bloke.
I’ve been to his workshop a few times and I remember a lady coming in one day with a problem. He fixed the problem and she says ‘how much do I owe you’, he just laughed and said ‘come back when you’ve got a serious problem’.......that’s the sorta bloke he is. Glad all is sorted Tony and your relative is happy - he owes you a beer
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #14
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Well, he has himself a new repeat customer after his stirling effort and straightforward approach. And yes, beer shall be collected next time I'm down that way!

Thanks again for the tip off.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
The bloke is a legend - and my uncle.
I’ve seen him with customers and he is a no nonsense straight to the point bloke.
I’ve been to his workshop a few times and I remember a lady coming in one day with a problem. He fixed the problem and she says ‘how much do I owe you’, he just laughed and said ‘come back when you’ve got a serious problem’.......that’s the sorta bloke he is. Glad all is sorted Tony and your relative is happy - he owes you a beer
Good bloke.