Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How do you register an imported engine?

I am tomorrow buying a rover 3.9 v8 that is brand new, never registered in OZ, however I have a problem. Vicroads tell me that they have no record of this engine number (of course) and that i need an import doc about it. Now I believe there isnt one, and I dont think all those japanese imports have them either. So what do i do to register it? How do the jap import engines become registered in the cars they are put into?Also how do they pass ADR 37 (emmissions, no one does tests, too costly.)

I have a receipt from the importer but thats all. Any ideas?

All I can think of is to change the engine number to another wrecked block I can buy somewhere... or else not tell them, but I want to as one day I may sell and need proper rego.

The engine is going into my TR7. An engineer can give me the certificate, but this doesnt get me round the engine number problem.

PLEASE HELP!!! Im stressed, as I have said I will buy the engine!!

Last edited by EDManual; 08-04-2005 at 12:18 AM.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
460cixy
burn out king

recon there tellon porkys ya shouldent have any problems. well in the a.c.t you wouldent anyway
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Ring the engineer, I am sure they know more about it then vic roads ever will

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK I know sqwat about this. But why th heck to you have t register the engine alone? If you get an engineers certificate then I thought it was ok and then you can register your car with Vicroads.

To be honest its the first Ive heard about registering an engine :/
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Ring the engineer, I am sure they know more about it then vic roads ever will
true, but vicroads are the ones that let you drive the thing in the first place. Would be interesting if you called vicroads again, get a different operator and see if they say the same thing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
gtbob
Rotten Old Revhead

Cool Show them your reciept

Show them your reciept because the importer has to have ALL the paperwork or he will be shut down.
GT Bob XW GTHO Phase 1 Recaro Seats Holly induction Selby Suspension Package Extractors and 2.5" Mundrel bent system + Lots More - XC Sedan 4.9l Cam, Exhaust Bathurst Globe Mags, Lowered, Bilstein Shocks - EF ex Police Tickford Bilstein shocks, extractors and 2.5" system, Induction Mods,!6" Simmons Mags (Supercharger on things to do list)!
gtbob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a car, a TR7, am putting in a worked 3.9 V8 (they came as TR8's with a 3.5 rover) and need an engineers certificate, which isnt a problem, but to get the car on the road, Vicroads needs your engine number. and thats my problem. Ill ring em again.....

By the way, my engine has around 250 to 270 hp!! and the car weighs just 1000kg with it!! Should do 5 seconds to 100 or so, maybe less! anyone driven a powerful small sports car like this? Should be crazy! cant wait to have it on the road!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
BJ
Banned

One way around it is to buy an old rover motor and use the number of it, that way you have an old number and you also have the block to prove it. I use to work at a range rover wreckers and people where doing it all the time. Or you could put the old number on the new block. I no what people are thinking and dont tell me no one has done it before.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #9
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual

By the way, my engine has around 250 to 270 hp!! and the car weighs just 1000kg with it!! Should do 5 seconds to 100 or so, maybe less! anyone driven a powerful small sports car like this? Should be crazy! cant wait to have it on the road!!!
Peugeot 205 Gti with a worked 1.9 406 Mi16 donk :

Even with a stock engine you'll get 0-100 in 5.5 :
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I have a car, a TR7, am putting in a worked 3.9 V8 (they came as TR8's with a 3.5 rover) and need an engineers certificate, which isnt a problem, but to get the car on the road, Vicroads needs your engine number. and thats my problem. Ill ring em again.....

Try to get hold of someone that knows what they are doing in Vicroads. I think the police can get you a VP no in Victoria if you have receipts. I had a 1982 Corvette Collecter Edition that I had converted to RHD with a compliance plate. Vic roads had the engineers report from the converter but the banana brain that I delt with when I presented a RWC still wanted to see the engineers report even though the car had a compliance fitted to it. I rang the converter who rang someone at Vic Roads that sorted the goose out and I got it rego'd.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rang Vicroads back, the girl was nice, and asked a few people, and all i need is the receipt from the importer stating the engine number....

Dont you hate how you get different stories from the same place!!

Cool, I'll pick up the engine today.

And I have thought about buying another old engine with a current number and changing numbers, ;-) but maybe i wont need to do that.

Ill put up some pics of my car and mods soon. its pretty cool I think!