Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Another bad rap for SIDI

http://www.caradvice.com.au/52194/ho...iew-road-test/

Pans boths the 3.0Litre SIDI and the six-speed auto.

14.1L/100km recorded during their testing - mostly city driving.

Concluded that the 3.6Litre is the better SIDI motor with heaps more torque and only slightly more fuel use.

"Torque is the new horsepower"

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 10-01-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Repair link
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your link doesn't work
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

From what they're saying a BA wagon with four speed auto is a better option, more economical, smoother drive and carries more load.
230 klm range with 3/4 of a tank !
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Never buy the first model out...Especially with new engine plant etc..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Soooo, its no good around Bathurst, as that doesnt replicate peoples everyday driving according to Holden, city driving would show where the gains are. Than they put it in the city, and it gets even worse for Holdens credibility.
Id like to see the marketing spin they put on this one.
It seems the only thing its good at is long distance highway drives, where just about ANY large car, be it turbo 6, supercharged 8, or even the humble 4 pot, is going to get single digit returns to the 100km.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
your link doesn't work
Does for me...........................Ouch !!!!! There is some nasty comments about the Dunnydore in there..............."Times are a changing"
Old 10-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
dave289
Banned

Well Will Ford Capiltalise On This Or Sit On There ***** Like Usual.

When Holden Bought Out There Craptiva Korean Shitebox They Went On About How Fuel Effeicient It Was Against The Ford Teritory( And Yes It Was But Is An Absolute Piece Of Crap Compared To A Territorry ,which Was Said To Ride Better Than The Bmw 4wd Upon Launch). So Will Ford Pump Out And Add To State That There 6, Be It Turbo Or Not Is More Economical Than Both The 3.0 And Also There 3.6 Litre Engine. You Would Have To Be A Tool To But A Holden Six Cylinder Commodore. So Will Ford Capitalise On This Or What?
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It begs the question why are the ADR test methods so out of wack with reality...????

Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Thats a nasty review, Love the Description of the torque as "rather limp"
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dob them in to TT and ACA...............
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Someone should forward it on to Ford PR or something.
Blue Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Well Will Ford Capiltalise On This Or Sit On There ***** Like Usual.

When Holden Bought Out There Craptiva Korean Shitebox They Went On About How Fuel Effeicient It Was Against The Ford Teritory( And Yes It Was But Is An Absolute Piece Of Crap Compared To A Territorry ,which Was Said To Ride Better Than The Bmw 4wd Upon Launch). So Will Ford Pump Out And Add To State That There 6, Be It Turbo Or Not Is More Economical Than Both The 3.0 And Also There 3.6 Litre Engine. You Would Have To Be A Tool To But A Holden Six Cylinder Commodore. So Will Ford Capitalise On This Or What?

Shockingly typed post

And yes ford did do this aready with a full page ad after the Cars Guide Bathurst 12Hr test.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab

Last edited by Bundy; 10-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeees but remember you can get 900Km up the highway... nice lame excuse
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Yeees but remember you can get 900Km up the highway...
On a single tank!!!1!11one

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
It begs the question why are the ADR test methods so out of wack with reality...????
As i and others have alluded to in other posts....its because the ADR test not only does not use have things like wind resistance and loads etc. (hills or weight etc.) but also due to modern drivetrain tuning.

In the past when there was not twin VCT, DOHC, 4v per pot, computer controlled on the fly engine optimisation etc. etc. engineers had to 'tune' a car to perform on the road, then do the ADR test and just lump it. The ADR test is a well specified test which is over a certain spead range cycle with light loads on the car on a rolling road. Is it not possible for engineers to tune a car to peform on said test, to a degree that is better and therefore 'non represetative' of the cars real world performance?? I think it is, and i think manufacturers all over the world are and will be doing it more and more. Of course they can use the same tech to try to make a good engine in the first place for the real world, but i bet that is much more expensive...

Frankly when the holden announced the 'brilliant' 9.3L/100km ADR figure there were doomed straight off. Not only would the ecoboost 4pot falcon get into the 8s, but with the 3.6L SIDI at 9.9 and the falcon at the same figure (and getting lower in the near future probably) there was simply too little improvement based on the ADR figures. Given for heavy large cars the ADR is always of little use in real world urban driving then they were never going be very impressive.

Not to mention, the very 'urban' driving the 3.0 SIDI was 'good' at in the rolling road is where these 'loads' are so apparent, standing start, mum and the kids plus gear, fleet users with crap in the back, hills etc. So now it has bugger all improvement of the larger engined cars on the highway and with the additional loads nullifying the misleading ADR urban cycle number how on earth was it ever supposed to burn less then the 4.0I6....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

just goes to show that a gutless small capacity engine is useless in a large car. Its just too bad that at least 50% of car buyers a lured buy ludicrous claims.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, that's a scathing review of the Berlina sportswagon. I wonder what internal memo GM-H will forward it's dealers like it did after the Bathurst test?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Wow, that's a scathing review of the Berlina sportswagon. I wonder what internal memo GM-H will forward it's dealers like it did after the Bathurst test?
perhaps, but it is nothing we haven't seen before. Some outlets (e.g. wheels mag) who have to straddle the fence RE marketing and public perception have been a bit kinder, but even they have complained. All this review is is the plain truth about the car.....alot of the reviews i've read have pointed out these deficincies of the latest MY2010 VE, this review just puts them all together in one place. Public percpetion (based on the few people i've spoken to) is one of either total ignorance of the new Holden engine (probalby because the advertising they ran spun off the back of the continual misleading 'we are australian mantra....') or worse, that is doesn't atcually work (probably helped by Ford's drive bathurst test based advertising....).

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I reckon the more people who buy that SIDI sportswagon the better. In the end it will leave a lot of people scourned and negative imagine of Holden is all that will remain.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

It will be interesting to see what the large fleet companies have to say to Holden. In effect, the Lease companies have to lease out all vehicles with an expected fuel consumption and then charge the customer accordingly. If Holden supply a 9.3L/Km figure but it is more like 14.1, there will be a lot of unhappy customers getting pinged at the end of the lease due to far greater fuel consumption than expected.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I reckon the more people who buy that SIDI sportswagon the better. In the end it will leave a lot of people scourned and negative imagine of Holden is all that will remain.
I like the way you think :

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I don't know what's funnier: Holden claiming how economical it is, or the amount of sheep that buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That's a great point. The damning thing - for Holden - is it's only them that cannot come near the ADR test figures.
They remind me of KFC. They sell you something that was born in a lab with a tube up it's back side and then claim selling you what they call a chicken.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #23
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Does for me...........................Ouch !!!!! There is some nasty comments about the Dunnydore in there..............."Times are a changing"
Check any Falcon or Commodore article on Car Advice and the same three or four detractors (jon, Tomas79, Callous Aussie, Will) are there sledging anything from FordOZ or Holden. They have a strange affinity for Toyota and Skoda.

The review was pretty much what I expected, although some on there are now accusing CA of Ford bias.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Check any Falcon or Commodore article on Car Advice and the same three or four detractors (jon, Tomas79, Callous Aussie, Will) are there sledging anything from FordOZ or Holden. They have a strange affinity for Toyota and Skoda.

The review was pretty much what I expected, although some on there are now accusing CA of Ford bias.

Even so, if the car doesn't meet the basic premise, it deserves to come in for some stick. It appears someone isn't doing their job or worse at GMH. Luckily for them the vast majority of people don't read reviews and think the govt rules are implicitly accurate and reliable.

Had the Age/Ford not conducted and espoused the Bathurst trial, there would be a more receptive and less cynical reading audience who would take the content of this article more seriously rather than consider it a battle in an ongoing, trivial brand war between two traditional protagonists (yawn).
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #25
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

Had the Age/Ford not conducted and espoused the Bathurst trial, there would be a more receptive and less cynical reading audience who would take the content of this article more seriously rather than consider it a battle in an ongoing, trivial brand war between two traditional protagonists (yawn).
Not sure what you are saying there wally. Should ford have refrained from using the drive test at all? Effectively give up that very rich (and pretty damn cheap from their perspective) bit of evidence (which is proving incresingly true) of the failure of SIDI both as a piece of engineering tech AND marketable advantage??

As for GMH....well i'm not sure if we can blame holden entirely on this one. The aloytec range (esp the 3.0 SIDI) has been a less than brilliant performing frankly. Since day dot it has had issues delivering on what GM claims, the only truly decent versions were not even very true to the origianl form (2.8 turbo in saab and a highly modified (heads wise) 3.2 in the alfa....). I know you and other may think it nothing more than Ford bias, but compare the recent SIDI range (or aloytec range generally) and how it has been recieved in this country by the motoring enthusiast with, for example, the continual evolution of the I6 or for that matter the upcoming Coyote 5.0 V8.

One company has matched or exceeded its claims, delivered truly competitive if not class leading engines and done it all while getting pretty good (if not very good) real world fuel burn and driveabilty. At is recent national launch, the fiesta econetic matched or bettered its ADR number despite several journos driving it quite sprightly. The 5.4 BOSS V8 has had no problem matching the 6.0 AFM V8 in the SS (and been faster with more weight to boot). The list goes on. One company delivers, the other claims, then backpedals and calls names when they don't match up.

Given the current situation it is in GM needs to start building products that deliver IN THE REAL WORLD and soon.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sticking up for Holden 1 bit, But doesn't 14l/100km sound excessive even for city driving? And the photo of the trip metre may only be telling us he has given it a hiding for quarter of a tank to have 230km DTE showing? For $45k I would be dis-appointed.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #27
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Not sure what you are saying there wally. Should ford have refrained from using the drive test at all? .

Yes, without getting into a protracted debate, I think it damaged Ford's image in that it appeared like a cheap shot. To the brand fanatics it would have been seen as a victory on one side of the fence and conspiracy on the other. To the vast majority it would have ranged from "whatever" to just more evidence of a sibling rivalry.

Here's a thought, maybe Ford and Holden should promote the great ozzie rwd sedan. You know, a bit of national pride in our manufacturing, even if it is based on American know how.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #28
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Even so, if the car doesn't meet the basic premise, it deserves to come in for some stick. It appears someone isn't doing their job or worse at GMH. Luckily for them the vast majority of people don't read reviews and think the govt rules are implicitly accurate and reliable.

Trust me, I wasn't sticking up for GM's SIDI drivetrains.

Merely pointing out there are some posters on that site that are deadset vitriolic against anything Falcon/Commodore whether it is, in reality, good or bad.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

short stroke (80mm) small capacity engine in a very large car, it will have to work harder to move that large mass, higher revs and more gear changes = more fuel used, power/economy figures look good on brochures though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Damm Car advice is not liking the commodores.

SO SIDI sucks (literally) and AFM is a joke according to car advice.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/50810/ho...iew-road-test/