Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
LXL15

Default XR50 Wheels

Hey guys,

My neighbour recently replaced his Holden with a Ford XR50, and I really like the wheels he got with them. I can't find them on the Ford website, does anyone know where I could look for them? Also, how much would I expect to pay for them (17"/18") with tyres? I'm assuming "too much" but I thought I'd find out anyway. The pics are what they are when I've roughly photoshopped them onto my car.

Also, can anyone explain to me what offset wheels are and how they differ from non-offset? I've been reading it everywhere and I have absolutely no idea...

Cheers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0104e.jpg (117.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0105e.jpg (116.0 KB, 154 views)
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

IIRC I was quoted something crazy like $2500 for a set through ford for the "standard" xr8 rims. I dont think anyone will have them for sale for a while, best bet is ebay.

I could imagine a price around $3-3.5k from Ford, just because they can and they are brand new.

You could probably buy a set of normal XR8's and powdercoat them for alot less.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
LXL15

Yeah..okay...thats a bit much. I had a feeling it was going to be something outrageous. I've got a 2000 AU2 Fairmont as well, Polyal. What have you done to yours in terms of visuals (I'm a P-plater for a while yet, so i'm not really bothering with performance stuff)? Any photos?
Old 13-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXL15
Yeah..okay...thats a bit much. I had a feeling it was going to be something outrageous. I've got a 2000 AU2 Fairmont as well, Polyal. What have you done to yours in terms of visuals (I'm a P-plater for a while yet, so i'm not really bothering with performance stuff)? Any photos?
No worries.

I was once in your positin but now a young family man so I dont mod my daily like I used to, but I have done a couple of things.

If you look in the AU Build section there is a thread there, I like you went with some FG rims but chose to go the G6E route.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

they pop up on ebay from time to time from a grand and upwards..
Old 15-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FG-XR6-Turbo-...ts_Accessories
Old 15-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
brad`
The Monty

i can get u a set of 5 with no tyres for 1100 orginals 2
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
LXL15

Sweet cheers guys, I won't have enough money until next year haha oh well.

I spoke to a guy at FDO in Ferntree Gully and he says they can get me a set with tyres in "very good condition" for 1 grand. He also explained what offset wheels were.

Cheers again.
Old 17-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
brad`
The Monty

au - fg have same off set +8 ( i think)
eb - ef have same of set (i think)

not much else u need to know
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
au - fg have same off set +8 ( i think)
eb - ef have same of set (i think)

not much else u need to know
My old G6ET 18" rims were +36.5 offset and my old mans BA XR6T rims are also +36.5 offset

AU onwards falcons used a FWD offset for the rims and at the time this opened up a larger range of wheels than what was then available to the older EL and previous models.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

oh man.. you guys have no idea..

offset is the specifics of the rim, not the car model. offset refers to how far from the hub (where wheel ataches) to the centerline of the wheel..

its either zero, positive, or negative. so +35, or say -8. once you get to negative, you are looking at some pretty serious wheels, where ull most likely have a very concave face, alot off dish, and the wheel hanging out of the guards. pretty common with jap cars to try and have low offset wheels for better 'track'... which is the stance between the tyres (distance).

-edit-

found a pic to make it clearer for ya's..

AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should of posted that in the wanted section, or cant you due to the post limit, if thats the case, mods should delete this

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
oh man.. you guys have no idea..

offset is the specifics of the rim, not the car model. offset refers to how far from the hub (where wheel ataches) to the centerline of the wheel..
Well that in itself is a confusing statement even though I'm sure you know what you mean.

Whilst offset is a term in relation to the wheel, the fact is that offset is car/model specific. You cannot fit AU and later wheels onto an earlier model.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
urbancowboy

In them style or rims the XR50 as you call it (even though those rims were on the XR's before the 50th anniversary edition's).

You can have the style with silver paint and machined metal, the XR style.

Then there's the XR50 edition which is the same rim but the painted section is a gun metal grey colour!

The XR50 edition's are available as a XR6, XR6Turbo, and XR8 in both sedan and ute.

They are a 18x8" rim with a +36 offset as all late model falcons are.
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Well that in itself is a confusing statement even though I'm sure you know what you mean.

Whilst offset is a term in relation to the wheel, the fact is that offset is car/model specific. You cannot fit AU and later wheels onto an earlier model.
Incorrect.

you are thinking of the stud pattern, more specifically pitch circle diameter (pcd). Any offset wheel can be made to fit any vehicle (within reason), but rolling or flaring of gaurds would be required if the wheel is too wide, or in extreme cases, tubbing is implemented.
Old 28-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
Incorrect.

you are thinking of the stud pattern, more specifically pitch circle diameter (pcd). Any offset wheel can be made to fit any vehicle (within reason), but rolling or flaring of gaurds would be required if the wheel is too wide, or in extreme cases, tubbing is implemented.
No I'm not; I know the difference between PCD, stud pattern, and offset (including the Z measurement).

Any offset wheel cannot be made to fit any vehicle. Try fitting an 8" rim from an X-Series to an AU and let me know how you get on. You'll need to do a little more than guard rolling. Conversely try fitting an 8" rim from an AU onto an X Series - beleive me all the tubbing in the world will not make them fit. Although you could fit hub adaptors.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post