Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
XC-351

Exclamation P PLATERS alowed to drive turbo and V8's (vic)

I guess its now sort of official that people on there red P's are now able to drive turbo or v8 as long as if its a family orientated car and has 125KW per tonn...

personaly as a red p plater i think its a sort of good idea, i am now able to drive my 67 xr fairmont, and my dads 351 F100 (if i need to)

i still think it was a safe move (even though i didnt agree) however its been said a 1000 times a person can speed in any car turbo or not...

Off the vic roads site

Permission to Drive Lower-Performance Turbocharged or Supercharged Cars
Drivers who obtained their probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 can drive some lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. These vehicles generally have improved safety features and greater fuel-efficiency and can be driven by probationary drivers.

Probationary drivers may apply to drive vehicles with 6 cylinders or less that are:

* turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne;
* turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle.

A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe.

Vehicles with eight cylinders or more, family type-type vehicles with more than 125KW per tonne or other vehicles with more than 100KW per tonne will NOT be granted under this scheme.

Probationary drivers may drive diesel-powered supercharged and turbocharged vehicles provided they have no more than 6 cylinders. No exemption is required.

Examples of vehicles that are NOT lower performance turbocharged or supercharged cars and must not be driven by probationary drivers include::

AUDI TT QUATTRO 2D COUPE 4 1781 cc TURBO Multi 6 speed Manual
BMW 335i E92 2D COUPE 6 2979 cc TWIN TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Automatic
FORD FALCON XR6 TURBO BA 4D SEDAN 6 3984 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual
MAZDA 6 MPS 5D SEDAN 4 2261 cc TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Manual
SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 4D SEDAN 4 1994 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual

Probationary drivers can apply to drive lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged cars by completing an application form.

You can download a copy of an application form or telephone 13 11 71 to be sent a copy.

Application to drive a Lower Performance Supercharged/Turbocharged Vehicle

Completed application forms must be returned to:

VicRoads
Exemptions
Locked Bag 5000
KEW VIC 3101

Probationary drivers granted an exemption will receive notification in writing.

For further information contact Tel 131171.

Penalties

From 1 July 2007, the penalty for driving a high powered vehicle will be three demerit points and a maximum fine of approximately $1100. These penalties will apply to both the former power to weight restrictions and the current high powered vehicles restrictions.

Old 30-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11262464
Old 30-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
XC-351

my bad got a link
Old 30-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they change the rules back , I thought that a p-plater could not drive any turbo/sc or v8
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Link is in the thread above ....but was closed. Like all things related to P platers and Turbo's, they inevitably all turn to crap.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
XC-351

sort of, but its not exactly the same...

i love the fact that they write:
A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe

even though those on there Red P's have no use for a family sized car considering they can only have 1 passenger

thanks for the link

read the other thread its a bit different but feel free to close this thread if neccasary
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
jasjul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
sort of, but its not exactly the same...

i love the fact that they write:
A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe

even though those on there Red P's have no use for a family sized car considering they can only have 1 passenger

Read the other thread its a bit different but feel free to close this thread if neccasary

Only 1 peer passenger, 15-21 age bracket. You can fill a car with your family or people outside that age bracket.