Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Car Jack or Ramp
Car Jacks 7 46.67%
Car Ramps 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Default What do you use/recomend?

hey guys im looking at purchasing something that will allow me to work on cars...its mainly because the XR is a lil lower and has got a body kit on it...im tossing up between getting a pair of car jacks or a pair of ramps...im leaning towards the ramps, as i do believe they are safer than the jacks...however i do believe that i wont be able to get the XR on ramps, due to the fact its got a body kit and lowered...mainly need it for changing fluids and exhaust work...would like to hear what people here use...btw im not talking about the 2k worth ramps or jacks you see at autoshops...more like the ones you can pick up from supercheap, autobarn, repco etc...

cheers

Last edited by alter_EGOXR; 07-07-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added poll
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ramps are safer, especially if you plan on getting under the car. Cars can fall off jacks.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t think anyone would recommend getting underneath a car that is supported solely by a jack.
Using a jack is fine but make sure you get a good pair of stands with the right load rating to go with it.
Mind you with a lowered car, you may find yourself needing some planks of wood to drive up onto, so the jack will clear the crossmember.

Heard some bad stories about ramps where they fly out or get jammed under the car when trying to drive the car up onto them.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

yeh definately with EBTom here you dont just leave your car on the Jack. get a decet jack and some good Car stands and that will be the best idea. then you will be able to even change your wheels when need to later on. always best to have then you can just leave your caron the nice flat spot andnot have to start it up and moved it and make sure its on the ramps properly etc.o or grazing off ya Kit
seXCmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

You can get car ramps for lowered cars. They are just a bit more raked out then standard ramps.

Std XR height won't make it up onto conventional ramps (only if you reverse the car on).

I would get ramps for sure.

If I work on my car with a jack, I'll have stands under it as well as the spare tyre/wheel. Nothing makes me more paranoid then a 1.5+ ton piece of metal held up by a 5kg glorified ratchet.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

thanks guys for the input...really appreciate it..sounds like if i get the jacks i would need to buy the stands too..and XR6 661, yeah your right about the paranoid bit...looks like ramps maybe the way to go...any suggestions for a decent pair of ramps for an XR(stock height)?
cheers
Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Somewhere on the forums there is a how to build your own out of timber for lowered cars I can remember how to do it but if you search for the thread they were really good and safe. I am going to build a set myself when my garage reno is finished.

D
-------------
----------------------
--------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

Basically these lines are 300w x 50t x smallest 500mm long
Thenext one is 300x50 x1000
The next oneis 300x50 x1500 etc till you reach a height you like the laminated pieces can be glued and screwed together so your car runs up without damaging the front bar.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

thnx mate...ill have a look around...i think this is the thread....http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11209211
Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Crude, but safer than a jack.

[IMG]

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

there is no 'one or the other'. get both. thats a jack, ramps and axle stands. ramps are good unless you are doing work requiring the front wheels to come off (brakes, suspension, bearings, bushes etc).

as mentioned earlier, as well as stands, i normally throw the wheel (if i have it off) under there as well for good measure.

don't skimp on cost. it may cost a bit more up front for a decent trolly jack but these things are with you for years so it pays to get one that will go the distance.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Just today bought a trolley jack snap on bluepoint brand Quote "if you can roll a coke can under it this jack will go under it" what a bit of gear 1ton lift and a high rate of lift per handle movement 3 pumps and your way high in the air. $490.00 incl gst. but for in my shed it will last a lifetime. sticking with my do it once philosophy easy to lift the FPV or T3 or my subie impreza.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post